Thunderpants!
Jul 24, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #107 of 2,225
Do they need special amping because they're orthos or will any SS amp work? I've been needing an amp for my ad2000 anyway so I'm thinking about getting the new Schiit Asgard or perhaps the Matrix Mstage, with a Udac.

Anyone have any ideas for amps paring with the T50rp? For some reason I can't seem to find discussions about compatible amps. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #108 of 2,225
You don't need special amps.  They are not electrostats.  I would look for an amp on the neutral to analytical side, I think the T50's are on the warm side.  

I will say this, they pair very well out of the LO of my Sflo2.  Just the right volume and sounds better than out of any HO I have on any portable player.  Sflo2 LO ---> T50RP works well. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #109 of 2,225
Ive got them running out of a Bravo Audio V3 (one with 3 band eq) and they sound excelent in my opinon. However i have not heard any other desktop pairings to date. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #110 of 2,225
i did a 4 amp comparison with my thunderpants, one of them being the schiit asgard.
you can review it here... 4 amp showdown! - Hifiman EF5, Decware Zenhead, Schiit Asgard, Cavalli CTH!!!!

to put it simply, the asgard plays well with the thunderpants, however there were other amps in my showdown that clearly sounded better. 

Quote:
Do they need special amping because they're orthos or will any SS amp work? I've been needing an amp for my ad2000 anyway so I'm thinking about getting the new Schiit Asgard or perhaps the Matrix Mstage, with a Udac.

Anyone have any ideas for amps paring with the T50rp? For some reason I can't seem to find discussions about compatible amps. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #111 of 2,225
Cool, thanks for that Br777! Looks like that Cavalli CTH might be the one for me. I wonder is it will mesh well with my ad2000, it seems as though it should.

On a side note, looks like I won't be buying my wood until Monday. Anyone have any ideas as to which type of wood they're getting? First thing that comes to mind with me is Burl. Hardwood burl can be a real Biznatch to work with though. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #112 of 2,225

Quote:
Cool, thanks for that Br777! Looks like that Cavalli CTH might be the one for me. I wonder is it will mesh well with my ad2000, it seems as though it should.

On a side note, looks like I won't be buying my wood until Monday. Anyone have any ideas as to which type of wood they're getting? First thing that comes to mind with me is Burl. Hardwood burl can be a real Biznatch to work with though. 

I remember Sachu said that CTHs work particularly well. His Liquid series is also said to work wonders with them. Dr. Cavalli will be making some money from this.
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #113 of 2,225

Quote:

The W5000 is very sensitive and has got some hiss with my CTH (can be heard even with music playing). No other phone I have have hiss with it. The AD2000 might be similar.

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #114 of 2,225

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas as to which type of wood they're getting?

Yes, I actually ordered my 'almost matched' blanks yesterday.  The website I used was great, you actually got to select the individual blank by photo.  As for what wood I picked?  You don't want to know.  It scares me.....

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #116 of 2,225

Quote:
Yes, I actually ordered my 'almost matched' blanks yesterday.  The website I used was great, you actually got to select the individual blank by photo.  As for what wood I picked?  You don't want to know.  It scares me.....

Cocobolo? Purpleheart kind of scares me. I don't feel like getting a reaction to it, but I'm going to suck it up.

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #117 of 2,225
Purpleheart isn't the worst to work with on a lathe but nearly impossible to work with without one. The problem is not only the hardness of the wood but also the natural dye in the wood. If you don't have a high speed/high powered sander, it will just burn the wood causing it to turn grey or sometimes dark purple (almost Black). I've tried to work with it using a mouse sander and it just completely ruined it. 

Cocobolo isn't too bad to work with on a lathe but once again, its a very dense/hard wood. 

To be completely honest, this project might not be the best idea for people who aren't using lathes. I hate being the bearer of bummerness but shaping that cup without a lathe isn't going to be an easy task at all. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #118 of 2,225

Quote:
Purpleheart isn't the worst to work with on a lathe but nearly impossible to work with without one. The problem is not only the hardness of the wood but also the natural dye in the wood. If you don't have a high speed/high powered sander, it will just burn the wood causing it to turn grey or sometimes dark purple (almost Black). I've tried to work with it using a mouse sander and it just completely ruined it. 

Anyone with a lathe in northern IL wanna be a saint? I was going to use a Dremel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back