Thunderpants vs HD650 (stock or otherwise)
Feb 10, 2012 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Any one has both? How do they compare? I realise one is open and one is closed, but they cost about the same and the only thing that matters for me is sound quality. Specifically, with regards to their scalability to higher end amp and sources in details/texture and transparency.

One has proven relatively long track record in its scalability, the other has a lot of hype relatively recently.

I have seen a few brief comparisons here and there, however none seem to be done with higher end amp and sources, which IMO doesn't really tell me what they can really do.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 25
No I don't, but the HD650 has a big reputation for scaling well, as well as having a fair following who say recables improve them a lot (I can't say/don't know)
The T50RP's are about 50ohm, but they can handle 3W of power so they'd definitely go louder than the HD650's, but that's only necessary for making yourself extremely deaf.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 25
I have seen those and I don't see anything with regards to their scalability.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer, but it appeared that you have no substantial experience, if at all, with Thunderpants at all. Thus I don't see how you can logically arrive at the conclusion that "HD650 should scale better", even if it is true. Sadly, over the years, to me it appears that the quality of information has gone down quite a bit here in this forum. We really don't need more of these.

Anyone else has real experience with them?

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 25
I've had some experience with both the HD650 and the Thunderpants.  The Thunderpants are warm and have a lot of bass impact.  The soundstage is very good for a closed phone, and they're generally very comfortable, albeit silly looking.  They remind me a lot of my D7000s, in regards to sound signature, but they have a bitt better soundstage and transparency.  The 650s are on the colder side of the spectrum, and focus more on soundstaging and transparency.  The Thunderpants don't require the same level of amping and are more fun than the 650s.  It's a bit difficult to say which one you should choose since they have such different signatures.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 25
Thanks for your inputs, I am glad that I brought this up. :)

At this point of time, I think I kinda gave up on the HD650 unless I have too much cash to spare, since if all went well, I'll have the HE-500 shipped to me at the end of the day.

However on the Thunderpants, I would consider turning my T50RP into one. One of the reason that I was hesitant is because there is something that bugs me on the stock T50RP, that is it has poor dynamic, it tend to push the loud and the soft at similar volume, but this property also pushes the more subtle sound to be louder and more obvious. The dynamic is so compressed that it isn't subtle, I have not heard this in any headphone and I find it peculiar. Do you find the Thunderpants having such tendency?

So in short, are you saying that the HD650 is more transparent and detailed while the Thunderpants is a warm, punchy and fun sounding?

Thanks again. :)

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 25
any comments on the isolation quality of the Thunderpants? Esp. compared to the best of the isolating closed backs?

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
any comments on the isolation quality of the Thunderpants? Esp. compared to the best of the isolating closed backs?

Sorry, I couldn't hear you.  I was wearing my Thunderpants.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
So in short, are you saying that the HD650 is more transparent and detailed while the Thunderpants is a warm, punchy and fun sounding?
Thanks again. :)

Yes.  The Thunderpants are like you boosted the bass on a pair of D7000s and made them a tad clearer.  The 650 is like you took the LCD-2, ratcheted the bass back and made it a little less transparent.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
Thanks Dagothur. :)

You're welcome.  I saw your post in the "#1 gripe" forum and thought I would share my experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back