Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy
Mar 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #706 of 879

Quote:
I think you'll really like the O2 pads, very comfortable, and 2 ports will give you a lot of flexibility in tuning bass.

Yeah, aside from the bass these are pretty impressive.  I'm going to miss them.

I didn't specify brown or black - isn't there supposed to be a difference between those?

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #707 of 879
Yeah, aside from the bass these are pretty impressive.  I'm going to miss them.

I didn't specify brown or black - isn't there supposed to be a difference between those?

I haven't direct compared but the black (which I had) are supposed to have superior materials and cost a bit more. Search head-fi and there are some comparisons.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #708 of 879
From an email exchange with Gary:

Jan 30

yours are just about ready to go but at this time I only have brown O2 pads as I've had a few of the black ones tearing at the lip which is proving extremely expensive to replace as there is no warranty on them. The lip material is very weak on the black ones. :frowning2: If brown is ok with you I can send them out shortly.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #709 of 879
From an email exchange with Gary:

Jan 30

yours are just about ready to go but at this time I only have brown O2 pads as I've had a few of the black ones tearing at the lip which is proving extremely expensive to replace as there is no warranty on them. The lip material is very weak on the black ones. :frowning2: If brown is ok with you I can send them out shortly.

Looks like the brown ones are definitely the way to go.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #712 of 879

Quote:
It depends which wood you go for.  The darker woods I like more with the brown pads, but for lighter ones (such as quilted maple or poplar) l would get black pads if they didn't have the lip issues.

It's funny, I'm of the opposite opinion - I love the look of light wood with the brown pads.  With the darker wood I prefer black pads to provide some contrast against the cups and to match the headband.  

That said, I got ziricote and it's quite dark.  I think it's just the color of the brown itself, they got this milk chocolatey goodness to them  :)  I kind of associate it as the 'O2 look'.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #713 of 879
Just got my Thunderpants in today.  They sound even better than the last pair of Thunderpants I remember hearing.  Also just got in my replacement pads for the LCD-3 today, so hopefully I'll have time for an ortho shootout between the LCD-2, LCD-3, and Thunderpants in the next couple days.  It's so hard to take a break from listening on the Balancing Act...

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #714 of 879
My Thunderpants arrived yesterday and managed to get in 2 hours of listening last night.  Used 2 cd's that ruthlessly reveal any shortcomings in the headphone, amp or cd player.  I was #14 in the group buy, so I have been waiting for delivery for several months.  My conclusion is that the wait was worth it!  Construction and finish is outstanding, but more important, they sound wonderful.  Very neutral, excellent clarity and definition.  Of interest is that I have a Headphile Vixen with Fostex TP50 drivers - very different sound with the same drivers. 

My congratulations to Gary for the creation of an excellent product.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #715 of 879
Took some quick pictures before I send these out.  A couple notes compared to the last pair I remember seeing:

Cosmetics:
1 - The cups have a matte look to them.  I like it better than the gloss pair I had seen.
2- I asked for a more durable plug.  This one works great.
3 - When he replaces the side blocks with custom wood ones, you have to manually adjust their position on the rod before putting on the headphones.  When he does not do so, you can just put them on and they automatically adjust based on how large your head is.

Sound: 
They are more bass light than I remember the last pair being.  This may just be neutrality, the rest of the chain, or fickle aural memory.  In direct comparisons with the LCD-2r1 and the LCD-3, I would say they have less impact (not only in the low register) and feel like they have a slightly recessed midrange compared to the Audeze, especially my newly pad-swapped LCD-3.  This may just be the pads. Isolation and leakage are very good, although again that is largely due to pad choice.  One of the best features was how little I got the 'cupped hands' feeling - They were the least closed-feeling fully closed design I I've heard in recent memory.

These are my current preference for closed transportables, although I have yet to hear a W3000ANV.  

This is the closest I've ever come to using an emoticon:

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #716 of 879
^

Ziricote?  Mine too, wonder if the lack of low end is a property of this tone wood.  You got a better looking set (of wood) than I did, btw, congrats, they're true beauties.

It turns out the finish on mine didn't cure properly and is flaking off a bit, so Smeggy will be refinishing mine and get them back in 2 weeks.  A mini-bass port will be added as well.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #717 of 879
Macassar Ebony.  These were some quick terrible shots as they were on the way out.  They are actually a little darker than they look in the pictures. Other than bass ports, I think the bass extension has to do with the seal you get with your pads.  (See W5000 for an example - the bass roll-off isn't as bad when you get a proper seal.)

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #718 of 879

And it bears repeating that the bass is extremely porting dependent. That being said I have had the chance to directly compare my TP1 with LCD-2rev2 pads, with the ports tweaked to my liking, with a pair of LCD-2s using identical electronics, and I felt that the latter had slightly punchier bass, but the difference was definitely on the subtle side. Both were extremely satisfactory.

Quote:
Macassar Ebony.  These were some quick terrible shots as they were on the way out.  They are actually a little darker than they look in the pictures. Other than bass ports, I think the bass extension has to do with the seal you get with your pads.  (See W5000 for an example - the bass roll-off isn't as bad when you get a proper seal.)

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #719 of 879
I have the same wood cups as the person above. The Madagascar Ebony is really nice. I agree with the transportables. A lot less leakage than most closed cans.

If anyone is interested I'm thinking about putting mine up or sale soon. $500 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back