Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy
Sep 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 879

LFG530

100+ Head-Fier

Now go to page 7 / post #99 for the official information!!!

Hi, 

After seeing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPLAkehj8d8&feature=feedu 
I thought it would a good timing to organise a group buy (I was already planing on getting a t50rp).

I contacted smeggy to see if I'd be interested in a group buy discout and the answer was yes. So the discount would be around 100$ (so they'd cost around 450) if we get 10 to 15 buyers to commit... But we'd have to pick a single wood and finition for this to be possible so you'd trade some customization off (althought they all look great IMO), that would be kind of a special edition HF if you want to see it that way.

Also, since I have something like 30 posts on this forum I think it would be cool if someone else (with a reputation here ideally) would take care of the financial part or give advices on how to proceed (cause I would certainly not give nearly 500 box to a stranger coming out of nowhere). 

So yeah, post a reply if you're interested. 

Edit: We don't have to agree on a specific wood finnaly, on page 4 smeggy enumerates a list of wood it will probably be possible to choose from. 

Edit 2: The results so far:

People interested, if you're not anymore PM me 

1) Radio_Head [amboyna burl if you have it (I'd pay the extra cost on it), otherwise Koa or quilted maple. + 02 pads]

2) Draygonn

3) NU62

4) TIMITS

5) Varley

6) moostrkraaft

7)anetdote

8)googleli

9)craigerson

10) Jalo

11) drgajet

12)dragoonv 

13)bobeau 

14) than

15) Brentatent12

waiting list: 

1) 

2) 

3) 

4) asticou

5) cujobob

6) Failed Engineer

7) 

8) svyr

9) AirX

10) Pale Rider

11) oqvist

12) mmlogic

13) ajreynol

14) alphaod

15) LFG530

Most of the woods choices: 

Cherry
walnut
Koa
Purpleheart
Yellowheart
Redheart
cocobolo
East indian, bolivian, honduran rosewood
bloodwood
seaple
Katalox
mahogany
lacewood
zebrawood
Ash
poplar
chechen
maple, hard, curly, spalted and quilted

You can choose the pads as you wish. 

Here's a form to give an idea to smeggy to what he'll have to deal with: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEFzWjhzdlNlN0gyZDJ5ZzJhUHFJNnc6MQ

Now go to page 7 / post #99 for the official information!!!

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 879
That is a damn good deal on the best closed headphone (and better than most open ones even) money can buy IMO without going into insane amounts *cough* stax *cough*.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 879
I might be interested, if we`re talking about the finished product and including the drivers. Would the pads be the O2?

One important thing... Are they gonna be shipped from USA or other country?

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 879
We're talking about the stock thunderpants that are usually 550$ (we'd get them for 450$) so since the O2 pads are 150, no I don't think we'd get those (the goal (at least for me) here is to get a good price for a group that buys a lot of the same headphones). But maybe it'd be possible to get some with and some without. 

Since the shipping cost is NOT included in the price (it's not either at 550$), I'm pretty sure it would be possible to ship overseas or to Canada, I'll recontact smeggy to make sure and send him a link so he can follow the thread. 

Here's a link to his site: http://home.comcast.net/~garybutcher/Thunderpants_TP1/Pricing.html

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 879
I'm interested in something dark like this Ziricote with black O2 pads.

Also, since I have something like 30 posts on this forum I think it would be cool if someone else (with a reputation here ideally) would take care of the financial part or give advices on how to proceed (cause I would certainly not give nearly 500 box to a stranger coming out of nowhere).

I'm pretty sure Smeggy could accept the money once we get enough to commit.

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 879
We'll see about the pad (if it's possible it'll cost around 600$). As for the color, yeah these look great, I was thinking about maybe making a pool for the colors or something like that. I honestly don't care that much but if I had to pick I'd get the same wood as the ones shown in the video (first cause it looks great, second because of the symbolic value (if it's a "Head-Fi" edition)).

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 879
The phones would be made and shipped from my workshop here in Seattle to anywhere worldwide (you pay shipping) and the stock fostex pads would be standard unless you specified other pads which would be added at cost (you pay what I pay) There are a few pad options that cost substantially less than the Stax and work very well.

The wood options will have to be a consensus, and some woods like the Ziricote probably won't be an option as the stuff is very expensive and hard to get in any quantity locally (I like to personally examine the wood as a lot of it has flaws and internet sales can be ropey at times). Anyway, if there are specific questions, you can post them here and I'll try to answer as best I can so everyone has all the info they need.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 879
some woods like the Ziricote probably won't be an option as the stuff is very expensive and hard to get in any quantity locally

if I had to pick I'd get the same wood as the ones shown in the video (first cause it looks great, second because of the symbolic value (if it's a "Head-Fi" edition)).

I like the wood used in the video pair.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 879
If this extends for a while (maybe another month or two) I'm in - Just the saving etc.
redface.gif
- EDIT: I'M TOTALLY IN

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 879
I will go for this, subject to firming up of the group-buy specs/options.  Looking forward to hearing more.

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 879
Sep 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #15 of 879

Quote:
If this extends for a while (maybe another month or two) I'm in - Just the saving etc.
redface.gif

I'm pretty sure that will be at least a one month thing since Smeggy told me he's upgrading he's workshop in a week and we have to get at least 10 people who are certainly interested on a consensus about the wood use and finaly he has to produce them... 

So start saving up! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back