Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy
Dec 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #856 of 879
Smeggy is alive! I just hope that he got through his ordeal, whatever it was, unscathed. The wait was long but that's all in the past now. Here's to a new beginning!

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #859 of 879
Just wondering if anyone else from the group buy received their Thunderpants?  I'm curious if the group buy is fulfilled...

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #860 of 879
My apologies for not updating this thread earlier however I received my very own Thunderpants around 10 days ago and am very happy with the product.  The configuration chosen was Cocobolo in a high gloss finish with brown Stax ear pads and a braided cable.  The visual presentation oozes quality and Gary should be rightly proud of his achievement in  producing such a unique headphone.  The only other quality dynamic headphone that I own is the Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV and the Thundepants loses nothing when sitting next to them.

With the Stax pads they are comfortable although the weight is 620 grams (almost 22 ounces) including the cable.  I don't seem to have problems with this although it may be a factor for those of you who have expressed problems with "heavy" headphones such as the LCD-2.  

The sound signatures between the W3000ANV and Thunderpants are quite different however I just don't have the experience to comment intelligently on what those differences exactly are.  To me they sound just fine and I'm enjoying swapping between the two to discover which pieces of music suit which headphone.  I do prefer listening to acoustic and small ensemble pieces on the Thunderpants although the volume control on my ageing headphone amp is running at 2 o'clock whereas the W3000ANV is set at 11 o'clock on the dial.  What they have confirmed is that I need to update both amp and DAC to hear what they can really do.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #862 of 879
Has anyone heard from Gary?  

I was not part of the group buy, but paid for the unfinished Thunderpants kit ($250 plus velour pads $53, total $253) June 9, 2012, last time I heard from Gary was June 21, 2012.  Every few months I try sending an email, with no response.  

Please, can someone give me an update?  I believe the group buy has been fulfilled, was hoping that once the group buy was fulfilled I would hear from Gary.  Thanks! 

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #863 of 879
Sorry, I'm in the same pickle as you.  I haven't received an email reply since October.  I'm still hopeful.  I don't know how foolish that makes me....

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #864 of 879
Quote:
Sorry, I'm in the same pickle as you.  I haven't received an email reply since October.  I'm still hopeful.  I don't know how foolish that makes me....

ButtUglyJeff sorry you are going through the same.  

Seems like there are still a couple (?) outstanding headphones as part of the group buy, hope, hope, hope, that Gary gets those sent off and maybe I will get my Thunderpants Kit.  

Thanks!

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #865 of 879
I feel for you guys. I would say at this point to not count on it. I don't even know why Smeggy even continues to have his website up and running if he's not actually running a business. The whole thing is a sham and a shame.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #866 of 879
I got mine after 15 months so keep the faith.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #868 of 879
Has anyone heard from Gary ? Has anyone else received a their purchase as part of the group buy ?

My purchase was at the same time as the group buy and hoping that once he completes the group purchase I might received my order, thanks! 

May 20, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #870 of 879
  Just got into cans world, found out about his work. Not sure whether I am lucky or unlucky to have missed the group buy

Possibly lucky. Some orders (how many?) were never fulfilled.
Alpha Dogs is probably the closest product on the market now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back