Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy
Sep 22, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #31 of 879
I might be interested depending on the final materials chosen.  How about rosewood like the examples featured here (scroll down to the guitars), or red cherry wood?  I particularly like the engaging/patterns patterns and rich color of the rosewood. . . 

Well like it says, that's Brazilian Rosewood, which you can't get much of if any anymore because it's been used to death. Other rosewoods can look good, but even with Brazilian, it will only look that nice on the great pieces, and Ed Roman is a guy that gets some of the most expensive hunks of wood he can find to make those guitars as beautiful as they are.

Cherry on the other hand shouldn't be particularly hard to get, but it really depends on the finish to look good. I don't think Smeggy would disappoint in that area though.

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #33 of 879
I'm interested.  I've always wanted to hear a pair of thunderpants and for the lack of seeing any at the meets lately, I'm fairly tempted to pick one up.  Once you guys confirm the design for the group buy, I'll confirm whether or not I'm interested.  A lot of great ideas are floating around, so I think it's highly likely I'll be joining the Thunderpants organization soon.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #34 of 879
Please include me for the group buy also.  There are too many choices on Smeggy's website to pick just one so my preference is a wood that is highly figured and has that great high-gloss finish.  I'm also interested in the O2 pads if they are an option, if not then I'l go with the concensus.  I'm located in Australia so an indication of postal / delivery charges would be helfpul.  Thanks LFG530 for organising such a great opportunity.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #36 of 879
I would like to partecipate as well. But who can explain sonic differences between pads?
Alsoif we consider only sonic performance I would like to suggest pinewood. White for more brilliant sound and red (spruce fir) for more firm bass.

Marco

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #37 of 879
+1 on red cherry

If someone can list all the woods that are approved by smeggy and make a list with examples it would be nice, after tonight I'll make a doodle so we can eliminate some possibilities.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #38 of 879

Quote:
I would like to partecipate as well. But who can explain sonic differences between pads?
Alsoif we consider only sonic performance I would like to suggest pinewood. White for more brilliant sound and red (spruce fir) for more firm bass.

Marco

The sonic difference on pads is minimal IMHO, it is more about seal and comfort

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #39 of 879
Long time lurker, first time poster and I must say I'm very interested in this opportunity.  I've had my eye on the Thunderpants! thread for quite some time and every time I come away wiping a bit of drool off the keyboard. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #41 of 879
i'd love to get in on this. if we could have the option of O2 and non O2 pads that would be so sick.

either way it goes. i'm down for this. give me a PM when you're serious about the group buy.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #43 of 879
I like watching a good train wreck as much as the next man, but I will be placing my order directly.  For $100.00 I can avoid this cluster ****.  Cannot wait to see where this is going...

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #44 of 879
Never seen a group buy?  They're always messy.  But they usually work in the end.  And Smeggy will make more money having 15 people buying from him at 450 than 4 or 5 individuals ordering at 550.  (Many people only order when they think there's a deal to be had or when they're part of a group.)  Plus he'll have a bunch of newbies spreading the thunderpants gospel instead of suggesting fiio and m50s to anyone with a week's less experience than them.  

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #45 of 879

Quote:
Never seen a group buy?  They're always messy.  But they usually work in the end.  And Smeggy will make more money having 15 people buying from him at 450 than 4 or 5 individuals ordering at 550.  (Many people only order when they think there's a deal to be had or when they're part of a group.)  Plus he'll have a bunch of newbies spreading the thunderpants gospel instead of suggesting fiio and m50s to anyone with a week's less experience than them.  

I think this would work better if Smeegy just laid out the parameters of the group-build with a single wood option of *his* choice (with a possible pad option) and it is either opt-in or opt-out.  Then he will have a handle on how many confirmed buyers he has.  Want something else?  Just pay full fare. Talk is cheap -- watch how many jump ship when push comes to shove, rationalizing it because of the wood choice.  For me, I just decided it is worth the extra money to order exactly what I want.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back