I always wanted to do a Thunderpants but had no knowledge on wood turning so in steps vibrolabs.com who I discovered on the T50RP mod thread and he creates these stunning cups along with 3D printed baffle plates etc. along with damping kits.
My T50RP History
I have some experience with T50's have owned a T60RP, Argon, Alpha Prime, Ori and now on a T-X0 which I will get converted to an Argon. My hope is that these will rival the upper end T50 mods which cost almost $1000 for about half the price.
The Vibrolabs Cups!
The cups are nice, a little narrow but have a very large diameter and will fit a Brainwavz XL or any large pad with ease. I wanted to fit a removable connector but the cup is not designed for it so I am sticking with a fixed solution. Vibrolabs is working on a new version that will have the connectors.
I am also going to use a Dekoni Blue as the base as it has black rails and a nicer headband. The standard headband actually looks great with the off color silver.
The pad of choice by Vibrolabs, I might be getting some samples from Brainwavz to see how they all differ including the new gel-microsuede. I think the lambskin, proteins will have a tighter sound with the most bass and the suede and hybrids will have a more open sound with elevated midrange.
- Viborlabs kit: https://www.vibrolabs.com/shop
- Brainwavz XL pads on Amazon
- Modhouse Audio T50 suspension strap here
1. I assembled the pivot pieces with the supplied screws.
2. I use heat shrink and heated on one end then pulled it through and affixed with some hot glue.
I also add the pivot cover this one here is from the v1 tuning kit, the v2/3 is more open.
3. Note this section that surrounds the driver is from the v1 tuning kit, I would like to see it re-added.
4. Driver fitted with the original screws and one layer of felt and then covered with the baffle foam. I advise testing this with or without before committing to the foam as it secures the felt in place and once it's on it's staying on.
5. Headband and Modhouse Audio strap fitted.
6. Wires soldered into place.
7. Snipped fiber insert about halfway through at the front so it fits around the cable, not all the way through. I also suggest adding a layer of felt behind the fiber. The tuning is open to each individual. I am still experimenting myself.
8. I used #4 x 1/2" screws not supplied to fit the baffle piece to the wood, this took a few goes and a bit of work as the baffle piece kept rising up so once you have the holes made then drive it home on a second time holding it firmly in place.
9. Almost done, awaiting pads.
- Pivot cover
- Backing felt star piece
- Fiber star insert
- Foam driver surround (v1)
- Baffle foam
- Felt square
- Micro-suede Gel
Some Thoughts on the project
I would like to see a removable cable option(this is being worked on). I think the driver surround foam should be re-added as an option or you could use material from a mayflower kit to load it up like on a regular T50RP.
Compared to my T-X0 it feels much wider and spacious. I also notice where the low end kind of becomes loose or distorted on the T-X0 at high volume it remains tight on the Vibrolab headphone. I love the sound and does not need much equalization for my tastes. Of course now I can tinker with different variations just like a regular T50, It's an open book so to speak.
Awaiting other pads and will add a detailed comparison. That might include the new XL suede gels. I think the bass on the lambskin will be amazing but I am finding the standard suede nicely balanced accross the board.