Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Sep 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 127
IMPORTANT UPDATE: There are some customers who have had difficulty having their Thunderpants orders fulfilled in a timely manner, and some who still may not have received products at all after having paid.

​

NOTE:  If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

In Episode 012 of Head-Fi TV, we take a look at the Thunderpants TP1, a highly-customized headphone, hand-crafted by Head-Fi member Smeggy.  The Thunderpants TP1 has fast become one of my favorite full-sized closed over-ear headphones.

You can learn more about Smeggy's Thunderpants headphones and kits by visiting http://www.tinyurl.com/thunderpantsheadphones

This episode is brought to you by CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audiofest and Rocky Mountain Audiofest.  Find out more about the best high-end headphone show in the world by visiting http://www.canjam.org

Products mentioned in the video:

1. Thunderpants TP1 closed planar magnetic headphones
  2. HiFiMAN HE-6 planar magnetic headphones
  3. HiFiMAN HE-500 planar magnetic headphones
  4. Audeze LCD-2 planar magnetic headphones
  5. Sennheiser HD 800 ring driver headphones

Head-Fi TV Episode 012 produced by Joseph Cwik and Jude Mansilla

We will occasionally post Q&A episodes of Head-Fi TV.  If you want to submit any questions (or comments), you can do so via email to tv@head-fi.org.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: There are some customers who have had difficulty having their Thunderpants orders fulfilled in a timely manner, and some who still may not have received products at all after having paid.

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 127
gotta love those Thunderpants
L3000.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 127
so cool of Jude to feature Smeggy's work, and congrads to Smeggy for truly creating a product worthy of being featured.

on another note, A pair that I had bought from Smeggy was pictured in one of the photo stills - it was the amboyna burl pair.  I LOVED those headphones! There is a reason many head-fiers consider the TP's to be one of the, if not THE best closed cans on the market.

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 127
WoW .. Smeggy is doing a fine job .. congratz on making a living out of something you love and enjoy ,, Headphones 
biggrin.gif

I hope to see some DENON AHD2000 open mod with gorgeous hand finished wood of yours.

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 127
Heya,

Awesome! I have some T50RP's still stock and I'm going to eventually get the basic kit at $200 to make my own as a project.

I'm curious how the thunderpants compares to something like the Denon D5000. Anyone?

Also, Jude, what camera do you use to make these episodes?

Great episode by the way; and again, glad to see some user content!

Very best,

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 127

Quote:

I'm curious how the thunderpants compares to something like the Denon D5000. Anyone?

No comparison in my book. The Denon D5000/7000s can't even come close. For my money there isn't a better pair of closed phones anywhere. That being said, I haven't tried any of the Lawton Audio modified Denons. Still, if I had more time to listen at work, I'd consider owning a second pair of Thunderpants.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 127
Quote:
Great that the Thunderpants get some well deserved exposure. Btw, what about amping them? Are they hungry?

Being an orthodynamic, my guess would be yes. But then again, I've only experienced the HE-6.

Perhaps it's less power hungry since it's not really initially designed for a hifi setup as far as I know.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 127
I cannot echo Jude's recommendation of these headphones strongly enough.  I had the great pleasure of visiting Smeggy in his home for a little inside tour of his work recently, and I can only say that I walked away stunned at what I heard.  As Jude said, they may not be up to the level of performance of $1000 open cans, but I don't think I've heard a better pair of sealed cans ... ever.

I too give the Thunderpants my strongest recommendation.  

Thanks so much, Jude, for shining a light on this spectacular product and maker ... it's well deserved.

I'll also mention I recieved a kit from Gary and will soon be making and reviewing the product.  I can't wait.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 127
Forever a fan of the thunderpants and mainly the man behind the creation. I  have enjoyed seeing Smeggy perfect his art while adding something special to each beauty he turned out from his blessed hands. Flick that hair back and take a bow you crazy nut. 
beerchug.gif

p.s: Missed you at the seattle meet, would have stopped by at your place had i been caging it. Next time am in seattle for sure!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back