Throwaway gear
Jan 6, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #17 of 23
It's not just with electronic gear.

Viking has a big % of the kitchen stoves business in newer high end homes. In 2000, we bought a Viking Stovetop 4 burner unit for about $1000. Due to the Center Island placement (difficult to vent through the roof or a sidewall), we needed a $850 downdraft vent that is an aluminium panel that goes up and down right behind the stovetop. Under the house in the crawlspace is the 10" diameter aluminum tubing that leads about 20" to the fan/blower that sucks the smoke out into the back yard. OK, fine, our decision to put the stove in the center of the kitchen.

One year ago, the downdraft unit stopped going up and down. Diagnosis: NEW control unit, $450 to buy and install. OK.

Sears repair comes out, and guess what? VIKING DOESN"T MAKE THE CONTROL UNIT ANYMORE. It is only frickin' 8 years old. Viking says they support parts for 7 years past last production date.

OK, so I have to buy a brand new $1,100 downdraft. Guys comes out to install it, and it doesn't communicate with the $350 fan/blower already installed on the outside of the house. So I have to buy a new blower too for $350. Plus install I'm at $1,900 for a $450 repair job.

Bottom line is that Viking downdrafts have become $1,900 disposable units (including install) only supported for 7 years.

We decided we can wait to replace the whole thing while I try to somehow find a used control unit for my downdraft even though it is no longer sold by Viking directly.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a scratch on the screen? was it there when you got it? i am not easy on my equipment but i don't throw it around and i have just the usual scuffs on the back side but if i wipe them, they mostly go away!

Nope wasn't there when I got it. The only thing I can think of is something hard hit it. Like a hard mineral fragment or hardened steel. There are sometimes hard mineral fragments in ordinary gravel/dirt 8-9 on mohs hardness scale, that would be hard enough to scratch tempered glass. It fell on the floor of my audi and it had a lot of dirt on the matt, it possibly could of scratched it then? Hell other than that, I don't know. When I get it replaced, I will get one of those ultra clear anti reflective screen protectors.

pic, only about 2mm wide.
Picture.jpg

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #20 of 23
Ipod touch 2g is superbly built! Though after only few weeks the back is starting to look dull. Any advice as to how to get that shine back?

My HP pavilion laptop is not so durable, I've managed to put a big scratch on the lid and some of the keys keep popping up which is annoying when suddenly after typing a long piece of text I realize the k key has not worked, and I have to go through all the text checing it for errors.

My Venturer player has lasted well though the play button is starting to get stuck often and the screen resembles an ice rink at closing time.

Meanwhile the Sony withstands being thrown around in the dryer and comes out without a single mark.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by edart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meanwhile the Sony withstands being thrown around in the dryer and comes out without a single mark.

What happened? Come on a little story won't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back