Thrift store record buys
Jan 18, 2003 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Trawlerman

A British ingredient in our rockin' international gumbo.
I'm sure i'm not the only one on here who haunts the multitude of second hand / charity stores searching for that holy grail LP from years of yore.

Quite often, the most unassuming LP which can be purchased for just a few pennies turns out to be stunning.

Well, I was working late on Wednesday and my lunch break was at around 4pm. As per usual many of the shops near my workplace were preparing to close for the day and as I was just strolling around I happened to come across the Scope charity store.

On the rack they had the usual cheesy crap that nobody wants such as 4 'Best of James Last', 'Sing Along A Max (Bygraves)' and a whole host of crap that I really do wish I was totally ignorant of.

Anyway....... there on the rack was a relatively clean copy (cover was a little beat up) of Human League 'DARE' which for the 75p asking price was quite reasonable. However, the real find for me was to pick up 'Love and Dancing' also by The Human League. There was also a very very clean copy (almost mint) of the 3LP boxset of Handel's Messiah from Readers Digest 1965.

I snapped the pair of them up and left the other stuff for some other sucker.

So I got two great albums for little more than the price of a burger from McDonalds. Am I happy chappy? You betcha!

Anybody else had any great finds recently?

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 5
Almost makes me want to go back to vinyl!
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 5
Great vinyl shows up at the most unlikely places.Look often and you will come across some real gems at thrift stores.I once found an original pressing of Little Willie John "Fever" in mint condition at a thrift store I passed by many times and never shopped.

Jan 18, 2003 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, thrift stores and charity shops are my number one source for buying LPs at the moment. I'm lucky, there's a great charity shop nearby which always has lots of new stock. A couple of weekends ago I picked up 37 minty fresh LPs for a pound each! Obscure classical, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, loads of great stuff. I love it when I walk in and the manager says, "We've got another couple of boxes out the back if you want to look..."!

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back