Three Stones MiniBox-E+ - Review of a Humble Sleeper (LOTS of PICs)
Sep 15, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #361 of 384
the major problem I have with the MBE+ with ES3X or JH13 is you don't even turn the volume to 1 and it's too loud already. Also because you don't have much flexibility with the volume control you end up getting channel imbalance. Using the PToS helps but there's a noticeable degrading of the sound. The P-51 works well with the JH13 though, as does the ibasso P3+.

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #363 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? I am considering getting the JH13 PRO and I have the MBE+ as one of four possibilities with the JH13s (the others being the P-51, maxxed out supermacro and a supermicro).

Any insights would be so helpful. Thanks.

With the UE11 and SE530 the MBE+ hisses like mad, and the volume control can only be used in the first 5% or so before it gets too loud. The PtoS switch makes the sound a lot worse for these kinds of IEMs, as stated a few times in this thread, so it's not really usable to tame the raw power of the amp. Not to mention the deafening click/pop while turning the MBE+ on, it's so loud with those IEMs, I almost think it could do damage to them (unplugging my phones every time I turn the thing on is not really a great workaround).

The MBE+ works well with my RE0 and HD650(!), but for those ~120dB/mW phones with low impedance it really isn't suited, in my opinion.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #367 of 384
Well looks like my input and output modules are cutting out every time i move the amp.I opened it up and when i press down on them the sound is fine and when i let go the sound cuts out.Looks like now i have to learn how to solder.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #368 of 384
Nov 16, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #370 of 384
Anybody know the gain of this amp?
Head-Direct only told me it has a voltage swing of +/- 7.4v

So far, I've tried out AD8065, AD8610, AD744, and LME49710, and currently auditioning LT1357, and LT1363.

Aside from the AD797, any other recommendations for opamps to try out? I'm having too much fun XD

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #372 of 384
I recommend you skip the 8065 and get TLE2141A instead. Takes the amp's performance a notch or two up from 8065. It sounds so damn good. If you really want those AD's though, you'll need to solder a pair to adapters. Practical Devices sells them pre-mounted on adapters that you can use in the amp. *MAKE SURE NOT INSERT OPAMPS BACKWARDS.*

Also, anyone know if could I sand down one side of each of a pair of BrownDog adapters to fit in the MBE+?

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #373 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by acadplotting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi head fier!
Be careful with opamp rolling! I tried opamp ad797an 0043 on my minibox. It toasted my IEM. Anybody can advice where to buy this AD8065ar

acadplotting, the same thing happened to my Etymotic ER-4P when I swapped out the stock opamps with LME49710. Blew out the right channel.

With regard to my most recent post earlier in this thread: is there anyone out there willing to examine and possibly repair my Minibox? I haven't used it for months in its current condition!

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #374 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by macfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
acadplotting, the same thing happened to my Etymotic ER-4P when I swapped out the stock opamps with LME49710. Blew out the right channel.

With regard to my most recent post earlier in this thread: is there anyone out there willing to examine and possibly repair my Minibox? I haven't used it for months in its current condition!

You might also want to ask on the DIY forum and/or headamps FS forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back