Three Stones MiniBox-E+ - Review of a Humble Sleeper (LOTS of PICs)
Apr 19, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #256 of 384
Yeah but sometimes can't details enhance musicality? I notice the extra details I hear with the ER4S increase musical enjoyment. I mean, If you can pick up a guitar line and how it adds to and fits into a piece of music it can enhance/improve your perspective of the song and it's enjoyment.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #257 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was being somewhat modest in my praise for this amp. In reviewing it side by side with 2 Xin amps (C5 and D5) I found the Minibox E+ more honest and revealing than either Xin and much more able to run headphones like AKG 701s and Senn HD650s.

Did you post impressions or review in another thread?

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #259 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by dungie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried OP627's in this amp? What other options worth listening do we have besides AD8065AR and OP797?

I read someone already tried OPA627AP. I have four OPA627BPs myself but I suspect mine to be fakes (at least two of them) I will try them on my MB-E+ soon and see how it goes.

Pretty much any single DIP 8 JFET opamps will work.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #260 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much any single DIP 8 JFET opamps will work.

That's for sure. The question is - will they work better than AD8065AR?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #261 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by dungie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's for sure. The question is - will they work better than AD8065AR?
smily_headphones1.gif

Better is not the word I'd use. I have used AD8065AR and AD8066AR very extensively against many opamps and kept using them both on my MB-E+ and STAX SRM-001. Each opamps have their merits and the difference makes them special, how you use them in combination with components will either make or break them. I even prefer the OPA2134PA over AD8620 which is quite surprising because the AD8620 is the more popular one.

But I will know soon enough when I put the OPA627BP to test

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #262 of 384
Oh yes, I should have mentioned that my MB-E+ replacement came in today. I am amazed that Fang actually paid USD$31.00 to EMS over the unit from NY to Malaysia.

And so I have a spanking new MB-E+ and the burn in ritual begins....this time it will not be too worrying as I spend most of my listening time with the venerable STAX SR-001 MK2 system. The MB-E+ & ER-4P will have a mountain task to regain that "listening time" because I am totally into STAX sound now

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #264 of 384
So just to keep up my progress, I am on charge #5 with the MBE+ (the replacement I got a couple of weeks ago), and it's still going strong. I am charging, let it run, recharging, as part of the burn-in process, and to ensure the battery situation has been resolved. So far, so good. Very happy.

Also, is it a good idea to let the battery run down to zero? I have read that you should recharge the batter right before it goes out. Any truth to this? Don't want to screw up the battery on this MBE+. Any advice would be appreciated. I could set a timer. Seems to be getting 24 hours or so on a charge (this is without much use, just turned on).

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #265 of 384
You shouldn't let a Li-Ion battery run dry - that was only good practice for old NiMH batteries, but is rather bad for Li-Ion and Li-Po. Charge it often, top it off, that's what they like best.

Some say that you should run it down every 30th charge cycle, but I think that only applies to laptop batteries with calibration circuits, not to the ones used in amps and MP3 players.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #267 of 384
love my Minibox e+. I was coming from a PA2V2 so it was quite a jump. Using it with Yuin PK1s and especially the DT990 05 with the bass boost pressed it pounds on hip hop lol. Very overblown but hey its fun. Great amp.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #270 of 384
Update:

The new batch seems to be quite reliable with the battery and charging capability. My MB-E+ was running way over 24 hours on single charge (with 50% load) and this is already way better than my previous unit which can only last 8 hours. Charging seems to be as per described now where previously the full batt indicator will pop up in less than 3 hours.

Looking good and rosy. Hope it will stay that way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back