Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary Edition, NFB-1AMP, NFB-3AMP)
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #676 of 785
Great to hear!

I figured it would be fine, given the ~8000mw on tap around 45ohm, but just wanted to double check.

Cheers! :)

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #678 of 785
Ordering a balanced cable right now :)

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #680 of 785
So I've requested an order and asked about the gain. For anyone else in a similar boat this might help:

"If your DAC output level is not over 2.5+2.5V on balance, I am advice boost another 6-9 DB is better for HE 560."

I mentioned that my current DAC (Topping D30) has a max output of 2.1V (though I'm most likely going to upgrade to a Modi Multibit), I got the following response:

"For single ended DAC, I am advice 9 DB boost."

I'm opting for the 6db boost, as I will also be running HD6xx's once they arrive, along with with my DT770's. Plus I'm going to keep myself open to getting a DAC-19/NFB-1 DAC later down the road (when I can afford to throw <$800CAD around for a DAC).

Anyway, I've got one question in regards to ordering from Audio-gd (first timer here). I've received the 'Audio-gd quote list' with the all inclusive price and order no. on it. Do I fill out my details on that sheet before paying through paypal? FWIW, I've done a bunch of searching and reading through audio-gd threads on here and the google, but haven't been able to get clarity on the next step.

Thank you,
Guy B

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #681 of 785
So I've requested an order and asked about the gain. For anyone else in a similar boat this might help:

"If your DAC output level is not over 2.5+2.5V on balance, I am advice boost another 6-9 DB is better for HE 560."

I mentioned that my current DAC (Topping D30) has a max output of 2.1V (though I'm most likely going to upgrade to a Modi Multibit), I got the following response:

"For single ended DAC, I am advice 9 DB boost."

I'm opting for the 6db boost, as I will also be running HD6xx's once they arrive, along with with my DT770's. Plus I'm going to keep myself open to getting a DAC-19/NFB-1 DAC later down the road (when I can afford to throw <$800CAD around for a DAC).

Anyway, I've got one question in regards to ordering from Audio-gd (first timer here). I've received the 'Audio-gd quote list' with the all inclusive price and order no. on it. Do I fill out my details on that sheet before paying through paypal? FWIW, I've done a bunch of searching and reading through audio-gd threads on here and the google, but haven't been able to get clarity on the next step.

Thank you,
Guy B

Yeah, go ahead and fill out all the information they requested and give them a confirmation that everything you requested is correct on the order sheet. They'll send you an invoice via Paypal at that point.

Sep 12, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #682 of 785
I can't get the thought out of my head that 0db gain should be fine. My source will be a single ended DAC (for now) with an output of 2v. I'll be using the balanced headphone-out, so unless the DAC output drastically matters, I'd hate to think I'm running too much gain, that could affect the sound?

I guess I'm just unclear on whether the boosted gain is needed, because if not, I'd rather not have more than I need. I don't ever see myself getting HE-6. If anything I'll grab a pair of LCD-(?)'s later down the line.

Is it feasible to modify the gain myself once I have the amp? For example, should I determine that +6db is more than I need and want to go back, I would be able to?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #683 of 785
I can't get the thought out of my head that 0db gain should be fine. My source will be a single ended DAC (for now) with an output of 2v. I'll be using the balanced headphone-out, so unless the DAC output drastically matters, I'd hate to think I'm running too much gain, that could affect the sound?

I guess I'm just unclear on whether the boosted gain is needed, because if not, I'd rather not have more than I need. I don't ever see myself getting HE-6. If anything I'll grab a pair of LCD-(?)'s later down the line.

Is it feasible to modify the gain myself once I have the amp? For example, should I determine that +6db is more than I need and want to go back, I would be able to?

I ran my HE-6 off my C-2 for a while with the default 10db gain. Never went over 80 (out of 100) on the volume dial. Keep in mind I was using a DAC-19 and S-19 with the ACSS connection.

If you are connecting via RCA to the C-2, you can open up the unit and change a couple jumpers to boost the gain from 10db to 19db. This is on top of any extra boost you custom order. You can't use the boost jumpers on ACSS though, only RCA.

The problem you will run into if you go for the extra factory gain option is that it's going to give you very little play on the volume dial with efficient headphones. For instance, my LCD-XC on the C-2 was quite loud in the low 20s on the volume dial.

You'd probably be ok going with the +3 or +6db option, but I definitely wouldn't do +9 unless you were only ever going to use this amp with HE-560.

Oh, and any gain changes you order from Audio-gd will not be able to be undone.

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #684 of 785
The problem you will run into if you go for the extra factory gain option is that it's going to give you very little play on the volume dial with efficient headphones. For instance, my LCD-XC on the C-2 was quite loud in the low 20s on the volume dial.

You'd probably be ok going with the +3 or +6db option, but I definitely wouldn't do +9 unless you were only ever going to use this amp with HE-560.

Well, the NFB-1 has a default 16db gain, and ~7W output at 43ohm, which based on everything I've read, should be more than enough. It does make me wonder how much of a difference the output voltage of the DAC will make. The DAC-19 and S-19 both have the 2.5V output that was recommended, but the vast majority of DAC options I'm considering right now are all around 2.0v. I did try to use some of NwAvGuy's calculations to figure out if the default gain of the NFB-1 would suffice for the 560, but it just left my head spinning, as I wasn't sure of which variables related to what values in his formulas.

At the end of the day, I'm sure the amp's going to be awesome regardless. I just hope that it's versatility isn't compromised by a lack of volume control across the vastly differing requirements of the headphones that may be run through it.

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #685 of 785
I had some more correspondence, and was advised by Kingwa that you can order replacement gain boards should it not be enough. They cost the same as if you were to option them when ordering originally ($20/25/30) plus shipping. With this in mind I decided to go with the default gain so that I have maximum versatility with my other cans.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #686 of 785
8w is if you run them balanced. I am looking forward to hearing about this match. I have had an eye on the HE560 for a long time.
My NFB-1AMP arrived on Thursday and I'm happy to report that I'm very happy! I found that even with my old amp the Mimby smoothed out the table response of my 560's to a pretty great degree. With the n1amp they just sound tighter, a tad punchier and very smooth up high.

I'm also have zero issue getting it nice and loud with either SE or balanced. In fact, on high gain I have the volume around 25-30 with the latter being too loud for most modern stuff/metal. SE is about 10 clicks up for the same levels.

Interestingly, I didn't at all like how my dt770's sounded with the n1amp. They sound much more intense with seriously boomy bass that sounds drastically inaccurate next to the 560's. Makes sense given the price levels of the two, but it wasn't nearly as pronounced a difference on my topping A30.

Oh, the soundstage is significantly larger to, with some fantastic details now apparent that I've never heard before in plenty of songs. I was also impressed by the instrument separation.

Sure, there's no doubt better amps and DAC's available, but right now, I'm stoked. I look forward to getting home from work each day just to get a few tracks in. This is a good spot to be in :)

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #687 of 785
I'm currently looking at NFB-1AMP to pair with my SD modded HD800. Would you someone here mind sharing with me your experiences between the amp and this hp? also how well it's compared to other amps in 1k bracket. This amp doesn't seem like getting that much attention around.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #688 of 785
My NFB-1AMP arrived on Thursday and I'm happy to report that I'm very happy! I found that even with my old amp the Mimby smoothed out the table response of my 560's to a pretty great degree. With the n1amp they just sound tighter, a tad punchier and very smooth up high.

I'm also have zero issue getting it nice and loud with either SE or balanced. In fact, on high gain I have the volume around 25-30 with the latter being too loud for most modern stuff/metal. SE is about 10 clicks up for the same levels.

Interestingly, I didn't at all like how my dt770's sounded with the n1amp. They sound much more intense with seriously boomy bass that sounds drastically inaccurate next to the 560's. Makes sense given the price levels of the two, but it wasn't nearly as pronounced a difference on my topping A30.

Oh, the soundstage is significantly larger to, with some fantastic details now apparent that I've never heard before in plenty of songs. I was also impressed by the instrument separation.

Sure, there's no doubt better amps and DAC's available, but right now, I'm stoked. I look forward to getting home from work each day just to get a few tracks in. This is a good spot to be in :)

Ordered a pair of he-560 i should get on Wednesday. Looking forward to it based on you feeback.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back