Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Aug 22, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #1,262 of 1,485
Is there a guide to tell M7 counterfeits from authentic pairs? I bought a "used-very good" condition from amazon for $410 that arrives this week. hopefully everything is fine 👀

There is no M7 counterfeit as fas as I know. $410 used seems legit since new one can be bought around $550ish today, drop from initial msrp $800 at first launch in 2018

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #1,263 of 1,485
I bought my M7 from accessory jack last year for €525. IER-Z1R for €1650. First got Z1R, then after testing them in the streets, didn't like how people stared at me. So decided to use IER-Z1R only at home. So got a fiio Fa7, only to return it the next week due to overwhelming bass (for an all BA also 4 like m7 was I shocked) so I got the M7for €200 more. M7 cleans a dirty toilet with the FA7 as a metaphor how good they are

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #1,264 of 1,485
One year after owning both M7 and (IER-)Z1R I am satisfied with both, both sound great. I use M7 when I want to "shut the mouth" or "turn the volume down" on the world around me (passive isolation) when all is quiet IER-Z1R or when I want to mute a bit but still want grandeur sound. MDR-Z1R gets used only if environment is dead quiet.

IER-M7 do need a better cable IMHO to bring their best

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #1,265 of 1,485
One year after owning both M7 and (IER-)Z1R I am satisfied with both, both sound great. I use M7 when I want to "shut the mouth" or "turn the volume down" on the world around me (passive isolation) when all is quiet IER-Z1R or when I want to mute a bit but still want grandeur sound. MDR-Z1R gets used only if environment is dead quiet.

Is there any major upgrade from M7 to Z1R? Is it redundant to have both? Just a little dream thst i might buy Z1R someday, or M9 i dont know, auditioned the m9 the other day, somehow too similar with m7, better trebles and details of course but not quite a jump.
I may sell the m7 to fund for z1R too if that day ever come.

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #1,266 of 1,485
Is there any major upgrade from M7 to Z1R? Is it redundant to have both? Just a little dream thst i might buy Z1R someday, or M9 i dont know, auditioned the m9 the other day, somehow too similar with m7, better trebles and details of course but not quite a jump.
I may sell the m7 to fund for z1R too if that day ever come.
IER-Z1R is an upgrade I feel the areas the more expensive bro does better as M7 are
Stage - significantly larger on Z1R
Treble - both in extension — while avoiding being sharp — as well micro and macro details and refinement

Bass - both in texture and decay (this is clear as one is all BA and the other is a hybrid)
Cable - the cable of M7 is the bottle neck IMHO, tho, both have very sturdy MMCX —significantly better to Xba-Z5 — as it is hell to remove the cables, never done my self but what I've heard from others

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #1,267 of 1,485
IER-Z1R is an upgrade I feel the areas the more expensive bro does better as M7 are
Stage - significantly larger on Z1R
Treble - both in extension — while avoiding being sharp — as well micro and macro details and refinement

Bass - both in texture and decay (this is clear as one is all BA and the other is a hybrid)
Cable - the cable of M7 is the bottle neck IMHO, tho, both have very sturdy MMCX —significantly better to Xba-Z5 — as it is hell to remove the cables, never done my self but what I've heard from others

how about details and separation?
and layering - imaging precision?

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #1,268 of 1,485
how about details and separation?
and layering - imaging precision?
Imaging and layering is good on both, separations is better on Z1R as you can hear the instruments more spread evenly

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #1,269 of 1,485
Imaging and layering is good on both, separations is better on Z1R as you can hear the instruments more spread evenly

so imaging and layering on the same level? i feel M7 and M9 have great layering and imaging, very precise. Is Z1R have better imaging and layering? or merely same level?
Thanks a lot man, not so many people have both M7 and Z1R together

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #1,270 of 1,485
so imaging and layering on the same level? i feel M7 and M9 have great layering and imaging, very precise. Is Z1R have better imaging and layering? or merely same level?
Thanks a lot man, not so many people have both M7 and Z1R together
I feel Z1R in imaging perhaps better than M7 but layering feel they're quite the same. One weird thing I note, M7 requires more power than Z1R (more volume to sound at same loudness than Z1R).

I wouldn't sell the M7 if I were you, they're lighter and stay put better than Z1R, also M7 being closed without vents means it isolates pretty well. Even in high speed rail (german bullet train) isolation is top notch

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,271 of 1,485
I feel Z1R in imaging perhaps better than M7 but layering feel they're quite the same. One weird thing I note, M7 requires more power than Z1R (more volume to sound at same loudness than Z1R).

I wouldn't sell the M7 if I were you, they're lighter and stay put better than Z1R, also M7 being closed without vents means it isolates pretty well. Even in high speed rail (german bullet train) isolation is top notch

ich danke dir sehr !! indeed M7 is a great IEM, but hopefully someday i can get the Z1R

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #1,272 of 1,485
ich danke dir sehr !! indeed M7 is a great IEM, but hopefully someday i can get the Z1R
I love both, both are great IEMs only different tech inside each and different use case at home /quiet vs on the go/ wants isolations

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #1,273 of 1,485
Since getting Z1R, always wanted a less flashy/bling for the on-the-move. Hence I got first fiio FA7, nice looks, cheap... buy I was left with a big disappointment in sound department.

Reason I returned one week after purchase. Basically fa7 sound muffled all veiled, only bass stands out, had to extreme-EQ mid and highs on the wm1A, which in turn made the sound even more artificial and plasticky.

Goy M7 , instant clarity as if an ear blockade was removed (air/water trapped)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #1,274 of 1,485

How do the mdr-z1r compare to the ier-z1r?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back