Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Sep 1, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #151 of 1,485
The IER-Z1R is looking awesome.

It can be pre-ordered in Germany for 2.199 EUR. Thats approx 2.555,55 Dollar :cry: Thats sadly out of my league.
Ja, i know, but there is AccessoryJack, hopefully they have them soon. they have usually cheaper prices, not by much but yeah some

Sep 2, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #153 of 1,485
The IER-Z1R is now officially listed on the Sony USA website for 2300USD.

I've also had the pleasure to try both the M7 and M9, and I am blown away. It is staggeringly good, imaging is precise and immense, technical detail retrieval is insanely high, but (and this might be weird for some) is not aggressive at all. The coherency on both multi BA setups are top notch, perhaps the best of any multi-BA setup I've ever heard. It's honestly that good, that I sometimes mistake myself into thinking that I'm listening to a single DD IEM. It's reminiscent of the EX1000 for me, but done differently.

I'm a fan of both, and at the retail prices that it was shown at here in Singapore, I'm sold. All that's left for me is to first hear the IER-Z1R, before I decide which will be my next purchase.

Sep 2, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #154 of 1,485

I've also had the pleasure to try both the M7 and M9, and I am blown away. It is staggeringly good, imaging is precise and immense, technical detail retrieval is insanely high, but (and this might be weird for some) is not aggressive at all. The coherency on both multi BA setups are top notch, perhaps the best of any multi-BA setup I've ever heard. It's honestly that good, that I sometimes mistake myself into thinking that I'm listening to a single DD IEM. It's reminiscent of the EX1000 for me, but done differently.

I'm a fan of both, and at the retail prices that it was shown at here in Singapore, I'm sold. All that's left for me is to first hear the IER-Z1R, before I decide which will be my next purchase.

How was the bass on the m7 and m9 ive only heard ba bass that i was satisfied with from one iem and thats the insanely expensively (for me) u18tzar.

E.g i love the andros overall sound sig the bass let me down in texture and quality/quantity.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #155 of 1,485
Not sure why the additional luxury tax on the Z1R. I paid HKD13,990 for the Z1R which roughly translates to £1375.14, that's a huge 45% mark up. Madness.

Congrats to you on the ier-z1r pre-order. I was in Hong Kong few weeks ago for vacation, I wanted to pre-order them, but unfortunately Sony store in Hong Kong will not ship these overseas.

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #156 of 1,485
How was the bass on the m7 and m9 ive only heard ba bass that i was satisfied with from one iem and thats the insanely expensively (for me) u18tzar.

E.g i love the andros overall sound sig the bass let me down in texture and quality/quantity.

I'm not a fan of BA bass, and as for the U18t... not a huge fan either, but I can see why you'd say so. The M7/M9's bass is noticeably more DD sounding than most things, with a nice thump, great texture, and a decay that doesn't feel forced. It's fooled me into thinking I'm listening to a D dynamic driver, although it still isn't complete, but it comes so close that I cannot find any iem that is yet similar in terms of bass reproduction. If you like that kinda effect it has, it's for you.

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #157 of 1,485

I have been listening back and forth the Andromeda and the M9 today. Using the WM1Z as the source, they both can be categorized as having similar sound signatures.

I am not a basshead, and in terms of quantity, the Andromeda was more than sufficient for me. The M9's bass quality to my ears sounds better. Although, I still find the M9's upper mids and highs a little more edgier compared to the Andromeda sparkly highs. Soundstage is slightly narrower on the M9, but I don't think it will be much of a concern.

Comfort and fit wise, the M9s are so much better, no comparison at all. If you like the Andromeda sound and currently a 1Z/1A owner. I suggest that you give the M9 a listen.

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #158 of 1,485
I'm not a fan of BA bass, and as for the U18t... not a huge fan either, but I can see why you'd say so. The M7/M9's bass is noticeably more DD sounding than most things, with a nice thump, great texture, and a decay that doesn't feel forced. It's fooled me into thinking I'm listening to a D dynamic driver, although it still isn't complete, but it comes so close that I cannot find any iem that is yet similar in terms of bass reproduction. If you like that kinda effect it has, it's for you.

Thanks for the Reply and exactly what I wanted to hear. These sound very promising indeed.

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #159 of 1,485
I have been listening back and forth the Andromeda and the M9 today. Using the WM1Z as the source, they both can be categorized as having similar sound signatures.

I am not a basshead, and in terms of quantity, the Andromeda was more than sufficient for me. The M9's bass quality to my ears sounds better. Although, I still find the M9's upper mids and highs a little more edgier compared to the Andromeda sparkly highs. Soundstage is slightly narrower on the M9, but I don't think it will be much of a concern.

Comfort and fit wise, the M9s are so much better, no comparison at all. If you like the Andromeda sound and currently a 1Z/1A owner. I suggest that you give the M9 a listen.

Cheers and I'd love to give the m9 a listen but afaik they wont be sold in Australia. So it would be a blind buy or try on a overseas trip.

Similar to the andro is not a bad thing at all as I enjoy the andros very much minus the bass quality.

Again very interesting impressions coming out for m9. Gets me excited really.

Sep 2, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #160 of 1,485
Very nice impressions lately, hopefully there will be (soon) more Z1R impressions too. The only BA bass i heard was that of the XBA-1 and was pretty meh sounding to me

Sep 2, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #161 of 1,485
Cheers and I'd love to give the m9 a listen but afaik they wont be sold in Australia. So it would be a blind buy or try on a overseas trip.

Similar to the andro is not a bad thing at all as I enjoy the andros very much minus the bass quality.

Again very interesting impressions coming out for m9. Gets me excited really.

Using the Andromeda as a reference point, I don't think it will be too much of a blind buy with the M9. The fit on my ears are so good, I would have no issues taking it out for a jog.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #162 of 1,485
Addicted to Audio have the IER-Z1R for AU$2500, same price as the Dita Dreams which seems reasonable all things considered. I'm very keen to hear how they stack up against other TOTL IEM competition.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #163 of 1,485

Amen, brother. You put my impressions into words better than I could ever do :thumbs up:

The sound of the M9, for want of a better word, has presence. The level of detail retrieval is as you put it, insane. If it's in the recording, you're going to hear it.

I was extremely fortunate in that I have some great friends in high-end audio retailing. They texted me that they have just received from Sony stocks of the M7 & M9, and I was there 2 hours later during my lunch break :) Sony gave them extremely limited stocks, though.

They opened up the M7 & M9 in front of me (which is when I started snapping pictures). I instantly preferred the sound signature of the M9 - it was lush, rich and oh so intoxicating. The M7 has a colder sound signature which was not really not my cup of tea. I was trying it out from the balanced output using my Z300. Just set it to high gain and prepare to be amazed :)

Needless to say, I've whipped out my credit card and purchased the M9 on the spot.

It's nice that they provided both the 3.5mm SE and the 4.4mm balanced cable. The cables are very soft, supple and tangle resistant. I am still not a fan of the memory wire thingy, though. I am a little worried about the material used for the wire sheath - it's a rubbery material, and I'm afraid that it would become sticky from the heat & humidity, like what happened to the Xelento cables. Only time will tell, I suppose.

I was fortunate that I also managed to try out the Dita Truth & Fealty (They also had test units for audition). But the fit was uncomfortable, and I really wasn't into the tuning of those IEM's. They just didn't grab me like the M9 did.

Oh, and the IER-Z1R will also be in later this week together with a Sony Trainer Rep. What, you need training to sell the Z1R? There was no mention of when they will receive the retail units. Here's hoping that I can get a chance to listen to the IER-Z1R.

Sep 3, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #165 of 1,485
The Z1R is the smoother, more musical version of the M9. Definitely much better bass. However, it is heavier & bulkier, and it protrudes out more than the M9.

If the M9 is Sony's version of the Andro, the Z1R is Sony's take on the Atlas. But done in a way much better fashion. The Atlas is too boomy in the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back