Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Aug 12, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #91 of 1,485
I baby mine too, i've connected only twice but yeah a siglty wobbly feeling worries me. Any ways I will keep the Z5 as on the go, IER.Z1R for home. Replac my Z7 with Z7M2 and wait for next walkman release in 2019

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #92 of 1,485
I concur with your statements! I've never been a bass head and coming from the etymotics, the z1r definitely sounded bassier than what im used to, but i think its a good bass response that many will like. there was also good extension into the treble region

Are you sure that the difference you felt in bass is not from a dynamic driver vs BA?

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #98 of 1,485
All IER still have MMCX, while IER-Z1R have the best cable and better connector with metal housing.

Z1R is heavier than Z5, but the new ear hanger and the housing shape does make you feel comfortable, and the isolation is very good.

Z5 is quite laid back compare with today’s flagship IEM from other brands, but all these 3 IER are quite forward and close, just like my current Campfire audio andromeda.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #99 of 1,485
exactly what i note form my Z5's laid back and my WM1A struggles ro give more details, it wants to give them but the Z5 is the bottle neck

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #100 of 1,485
I will tell you what blow my mind with ier-Z1R

Normally I won’t consider iems as worthy investment at high pricing

1/ multi drivers need crossover circuitry and all of the expensive even custom iems currently in the market are using cheap OFfC internal wires and cheap components such as capacitors and Resistors

2/ I don’t like iems, as my ears hurt when wearing them

However IER-Z1R !! Woaaa

The iem-z1r is sexy due to:

1/ internal wires are silverplated OFC litz wires
2/ Gold solder
3/ thin film acoustic capacitors
4/ F, Fine-sound Resistors
5/ Even the voice coils inside the BA is silver coated OFC wires (which never existed before, even the most expensive iems in the market now)

Mind blown X_X

C5C3006B-1C71-4BB9-A8BD-794ED894EA7F.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #101 of 1,485
For the components used, it ultra high-end with an affordable prices. this IEM is only to have at home :D and use a cheap one for work/commute (where the precious can be stolen)

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #102 of 1,485
For the components used, it ultra high-end with an affordable prices. this IEM is only to have at home :D and use a cheap one for work/commute (where the precious can be stolen)
I would have it flying and going places with me. If it proves to be worth it

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #103 of 1,485
Finally they got rid of this dumb fit (XBA-Z5) where the driver is parallel to the ear canal. Hope the fit of the Z1R is less itchy for me, even with comply foamies i do get slight itch (less than with sony hybrid tips)

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #104 of 1,485
How does the IER-Z1R sit in your ears? Does it seem like it would have better natural external noise isolation than the Z5? Are the IER-Z1R IEMs heavy? ...like as heavy as.......?

They are heavier than most plastic shelled IEMs, as you would expect. In my short time auditioning them they kept coming unsealed because the weight slowly pulled them out of my ears. I'm pretty sure this could be resolved with different tips and having the cable tightened under your chin.

I felt like the housing shape was not particularly ergonomic, with much of the weight at the rear of the housing. This tended to make them sag down over time. I also felt like they projected out of my ears a fair bit but this was just by feel since I couldn't see them.

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #105 of 1,485
Finally they got rid of this dumb fit (XBA-Z5) where the driver is parallel to the ear canal. Hope the fit of the Z1R is less itchy for me, even with comply foamies i do get slight itch (less than with sony hybrid tips)
I get really itchy ears with the triple comforts after 20 minutes or so, but the sound is amazing. I think I'm in between sizes so that could be it. Spiral dots feel better but I can't go back to that sound after trying the triple comforts. I will try to get the ML size tips. If the iem z1r is too heavy I will likely pass even if the sound is great. I wear my z5 only at home and would never wear them outside as the comfort factor would be even worse. I really think I need to find a similar sound signature in a ciem, but I love hybrids and there aren't too many hybrid ciems. I might have to look at the EE Nate8 or LX and the Kumitate Lab reference or just wear regular cans. I must be in the minority but I really like the sound of iems and the lightweight compared to headphones as I have neck issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back