Thread notification emails changed?
post-15449222
Post #1 of 31

heavyharmonies

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Did the format of thread email notifications just change?

As of this morning, the thread update emails I'm getting are a completely different skin, but more problematic, the amount of the post that is quoted within the email is only a truncated portion of a single line of text, far too little to glean context from.

The previous format that included the entire text of the new post was infinitely more useful.

This new format is not in any way helpful.

post-15449602
Post #3 of 31

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Reaction score
Why am I now getting ten thousand e-mail notifications??

Last edited:
Reactions: darmccombs
post-15449698
Post #5 of 31

Beagle

Reaction score
I changed the e-mail notifications in my preferences and am still being bombarded. Please stop. Thank you.

post-15449772
Post #6 of 31

AxelCloris

Headphoneus Supremus
Administrator
Reaction score
Why am I now getting ten thousand e-mail notifications??
I second this! I am following dozens of topics, and keep up on new posts throughout the day with my mobile email client. This is just useless :frowning2:
It looks like we may have missed checking an option while we were going through the update. I think we have it fixed. Please check your settings. You should be able to now select whether or not you receive persistent notifications in your user preferences. Here is a screenshot showing the setting, and you can enable or disable it here:

Persistent Alerts.PNG

Reactions: Wyville and Beagle
post-15449802
Post #7 of 31

darmccombs

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Did the format of thread email notifications just change?

As of this morning, the thread update emails I'm getting are a completely different skin, but more problematic, the amount of the post that is quoted within the email is only a truncated portion of a single line of text, far too little to glean context from.

The previous format that included the entire text of the new post was infinitely more useful.

This new format is not in any way helpful.
I agree. I find that getting an email with 3 words of the the person's reply. I would rather not get an update at all, so I am turning off email notifications.

If the intent of this change was to tease us into coming to the site and read the the thread, it is backfiring on me. I view the website when I have time, and I read the emails when I don't. Now, I won't end up remembering to come to the site as often, as I will be turning notifications off. Seriously, how helpful is getting an email from the site quoting 3 works of the person's reply?

post-15449849
Post #8 of 31

Chupi383

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
It looks like we may have missed checking an option while we were going through the update. I think we have it fixed. Please check your settings. You should be able to now select whether or not you receive persistent notifications in your user preferences. Here is a screenshot showing the setting, and you can enable or disable it here:

Persistent Alerts.PNG
Any chance we can get more of the post in the email, and a link that actually takes me to the new post, like it used to? I'm just getting a dozen words or so, which is pretty stingy. Right now it may as well just say "There are new posts in this thread. Visit our site to find out more."

post-15449962
Post #9 of 31

heavyharmonies

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I find it interesting that I've gotten zero update emails for this thread despite it showing as my being subbed to this thread, but I'm getting emails for threads that I had been subscribed to prior to this system change.

Is there some manual per-thread email update setting that now has to be made in addition to the system-wide send emails setting?

Not liking the new changes AT ALL. The board is less useful.

post-15450009
Post #10 of 31

Chupi383

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Funny. I'm getting emails for every post here. The one for your post just told me "I find it interesting that I've gotten zero update emails for this...".

post-15450097
Post #11 of 31

Beagle

Reaction score

Persistent Alerts.PNG
Looks like you fixed it. Many thanks.

post-15450111
Post #12 of 31

brofeelgood

Head-Fier
Reaction score
The new email notifications are a complete waste of bandwidth. The last one I received actually just displayed "...". That's right, a silly and meaningless ellipsis. And the one before that was "[ATTACH type="full"...".

Please consider restoring the old format within which something useful was actually embedded.

post-15450116
Post #13 of 31

jwbrent

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
On a positive note, I think the aesthetics of the site have improved with the update.

Last edited:
post-15451209
Post #14 of 31

darmccombs

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Crap, even though I turned off email notifications I am still getting an email for every @#$#$ post that someone makes, in any thread I ever posted in. And like others mentioned, there is no worthwhile content, just the first 3-4 words of the post.

Do I need to turn off all alerts and email notifications? Sorry, but I hate getting numerous emails that have no useful content. It’s a lot like SPAM... Hi, here’s another email that adds no value or joy to your life, and helps absolutely no one in the world. This is a terrific site, but please fix this!!!!

post-15451379
Post #15 of 31

AxelCloris

Headphoneus Supremus
Administrator
Reaction score
Crap, even though I turned off email notifications I am still getting an email for every @#$#$ post that someone makes, in any thread I ever posted in. And like others mentioned, there is no worthwhile content, just the first 3-4 words of the post.

Do I need to turn off all alerts and email notifications? Sorry, but I hate getting numerous emails that have no useful content. It’s a lot like SPAM... Hi, here’s another email that adds no value or joy to your life, and helps absolutely no one in the world. This is a terrific site, but please fix this!!!!
Unchecking the "and receive email notifications" under Content Options will apply that change to all future activity on the forums, but it does not retroactively change any previous notification settings. If you would like to stop receiving all email notifications, you can do so from your watched threads list. Clicking "Manage Subscribed Threads" on the right hand side and selecting the "Disable email notification" option will allow you to disable all notifications.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)