Thoughts on the new 1964 Ears V8
Mar 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 35
I, for one, am very curious. This company is on my short-list for my first ciem, when the wallet allows it. So if this model proves itself worthy, I might pull the trigger. Also, I'm under the impression that they have a good reputation, reading review from their line-up. And last but not least, they seem to thrive in price/quality ratio.

May 9, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 35
I am finding it hard to get a solid review on these units, despite having seen them around the forums, I am looking to take the plunge within the week, the question is Qi or V8

May 9, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 35
I love them (although mine are Universal) The sound is BIG - the bass is not overpowering - the treble is natural - not sibilant in the least. I read elsewhere that someone stated that treble was recessed - I don't hear it that way - one of the reasons they mentioned that seems to be because the tweeter is mounted pretty far back in the headphone - but take a look at a pre-FreqPhase JH16 and a post FP unit. The early one, the tweeter is usually mounted in the canal - with a short tube, almost in the ear canal. The later, FP versions have the tweeter set much further back in the headphone - in order  (IMHO) to have the frequencies hit the eardrum at the same time. So the V8 is more similar to the FP JH16 than the earlier unit. 

CNET has a review up - I agree with him - they like a bit of amping - but sound great out of an iPod as well (They sound freaking brilliant out of my DX90)

I haven't had the chance to write anything up on these as I kinda got bombarded by 4 new headphones in a short time (3 customs and the V8) - then add the DX90 and I have been in heaven - so I still want some more time to gage the performance of these phones.

But you cannot go wrong - they are brighter and more detailed than my old 8A - so they are closer the my JH16's than anything - so at $799, it is a great deal...

May 13, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 35
I wanted to get custom IEM's a couple years ago, but the price was just a little too far out of reach. With companies like 1964 ears, I think now is a good a time as any to make the jump. Will be getting ear impressions done tomorrow, then the long wait will begin. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 35
  Sorry, I seem to be missing something- where on earth do you get a universal version of the V8s? :s

Special order - still customized, but in their universal shell - small discount from retail...

This is a pic - they were sold recently and I ordered a custom version which comes in the mail tomorrow....

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 35
I'm currently PMing Ivabign, but I'm having a little difficulty with comparisons and reviews (other than yours Ivabign, cheers!) - 
Essentially my question is 'V6Stage or V8?'
I gather the V8s have much harder bass, but I have no way of quantifying that compared to the ie8s and the SM64s I currently own. What I really want is clarity, crystal clear audio with very little 'veil'. Second priority for me is soundstage - the ie8s have a VERY expansive one. 
I assume that the V8s are very high on the clarity front? They have 8 drivers, I know 4 are driving bass, but thats still 4 for mids and treble - is that right? Or should I be looking at the V6S's to get the best of both, as it were? But then, I don't want to have too little bass....

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 35
  I'm currently PMing Ivabign, but I'm having a little difficulty with comparisons and reviews (other than yours Ivabign, cheers!) -
Essentially my question is 'V6Stage or V8?'
I gather the V8s have much harder bass, but I have no way of quantifying that compared to the ie8s and the SM64s I currently own. What I really want is clarity, crystal clear audio with very little 'veil'. Second priority for me is soundstage - the ie8s have a VERY expansive one.
I assume that the V8s are very high on the clarity front? They have 8 drivers, I know 4 are driving bass, but thats still 4 for mids and treble - is that right? Or should I be looking at the V6S's to get the best of both, as it were? But then, I don't want to have too little bass....

Hey, I purchased those gems pictured above from Clint Eastwood at a kids party (Ivabign).  I love these things.  Took me awhile to find the right tips but I am very content with the sound.  The sound is clean (not veil).  The bass is perfect and I don't feel it bleeds into the mids as some have mentioned.  I also don't find the bass to be too much - it's perfect for me and I am not a bass-head or am I.  Now, I am no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt.  I am just a casual listener who enjoys music.  I mostly listen to rock (Tool, A Perfect Circle, Live, etc...)  I am planning on selling my beloved UMPro30s soon as the V8s have taken the top spot.  I haven't listened to the 2 IEMs you mention but compared to the UMPro30, the V8s are way better in all aspects.  I have already singed up for the U8s and am thinking about the U6 (Kickstarter).  Not sure I clarified anything but I vote for V8s - bass is perfect.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 35

Hey, I purchased those gems pictured above from Clint Eastwood at a kids party (Ivabign).  I love these things.  Took me awhile to find the right tips but I am very content with the sound.  The sound is clean (not veil).  The bass is perfect and I don't feel it bleeds into the mids as some have mentioned.  I also don't find the bass to be too much - it's perfect for me and I am not a bass-head or am I.  Now, I am no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt.  I am just a casual listener who enjoys music.  I mostly listen to rock (Tool, A Perfect Circle, Live, etc...)  I am planning on selling my beloved UMPro30s soon as the V8s have taken the top spot.  I haven't listened to the 2 IEMs you mention but compared to the UMPro30, the V8s are way better in all aspects.  I have already singed up for the U8s and am thinking about the U6 (Kickstarter).  Not sure I clarified anything but I vote for V8s - bass is perfect.

Great to see that you have both V8 and ASG-2.5! Could you please provide a brief impression of them against one another? I had the ASG-2.5 before, how's the bass of the V8 and the mids in particular?

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #11 of 35
  Great to see that you have both V8 and ASG-2.5! Could you please provide a brief impression of them against one another? I had the ASG-2.5 before, how's the bass of the V8 and the mids in particular?

WOW!  Let me try to explain this:
ASG bass port fully closed or just slightly open (less bass) is how I listen to these bass monsters.  If I open up the bass port fully, it makes my glasses vibrate like a rearview mirror in a car
basshead.gif
.  I think for this comparison, having the ASG port slightly open is comparable to the bass on the V8.  The bass is different on both IEMs and the overall sound signature is different too.  The highs on the ASG are more pronounced and seem to compensate or offset the well rounded bass frequencies.  The V8 bass is tight, tighter than the ASG, and there isn’t the low rumble you feel with the ASG.  I think the low bass frequencies on the ASG make that IEM so special.  To me the V8 highs also don’t extend as much as the ASG – this play a factor on how I hear the bass.  The V8 sound is also thicker and the mids are upfront than the ASG.  As for describing the mids, I would have to go back and do A/B comparison as I don’t recall the richness of each IEM.  I like both of them very much and based on how I am feeling I switch between them.  But I tend to lean towards the V8 as my tired, old ears prefer the sound of all BA drivers and full vocals.  I hope that help. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #12 of 35
  WOW!  Let me try to explain this:
ASG bass port fully closed or just slightly open (less bass) is how I listen to these bass monsters.  If I open up the bass port fully, it makes my glasses vibrate like a rearview mirror in a car
basshead.gif
.  I think for this comparison, having the ASG port slightly open is comparable to the bass on the V8.  The bass is different on both IEMs and the overall sound signature is different too.  The highs on the ASG are more pronounced and seem to compensate or offset the well rounded bass frequencies.  The V8 bass is tight, tighter than the ASG, and there isn’t the low rumble you feel with the ASG.  I think the low bass frequencies on the ASG make that IEM so special.  To me the V8 highs also don’t extend as much as the ASG – this play a factor on how I hear the bass.  The V8 sound is also thicker and the mids are upfront than the ASG.  As for describing the mids, I would have to go back and do A/B comparison as I don’t recall the richness of each IEM.  I like both of them very much and based on how I am feeling I switch between them.  But I tend to lean towards the V8 as my tired, old ears prefer the sound of all BA drivers and full vocals.  I hope that help. 

Yes that does help! Thank you 
beerchug.gif

I preferred ASG bass port slightly open too. It's a shame V8 can't reproduce the ASG's low rumble but not surprised and somewhat expected since its BA afterall against dynamic driver. I'd have preferred the ASG to have more upfront mids so glad to see V8 offers that. But I'm surprised though being all BA yet V8's highs dont extend as much as the ASG. Still mids makes or breaks the deal for me so if V8 offers sweeter vocals I'll be very interested in the Kickstarter deals.

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #13 of 35
  Yes that does help! Thank you 
beerchug.gif

I preferred ASG bass port slightly open too. It's a shame V8 can't reproduce the ASG's low rumble but not surprised and somewhat expected since its BA afterall against dynamic driver. I'd have preferred the ASG to have more upfront mids so glad to see V8 offers that. But I'm surprised though being all BA yet V8's highs dont extend as much as the ASG. Still mids makes or breaks the deal for me so if V8 offers sweeter vocals I'll be very interested in the Kickstarter deals.

I should have said brighter - ASG highs are brighter than the V8s.  I don't feel like I am missing anything on the extension side.

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 35
Do any of you have experience with the 1964 Qi (4 drivers)? I'm looking for great bass response, but not sure if I should go for the V8 or the Qi. I've seen great reviews for the Qi, but am not sure if it would be worth going up to the V8s.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back