Thoughts on buying a used computer
Jul 12, 2005 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jeff Guidry

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd like to buy an inexpensive computer to get on the internet and maybe process some digital photos, and not much else. I figure a used computer would be the best way to get what I need at a reasonable price.

What are your thoughts on buying used computers? What should I look for, and where should I look? I looked at some emacs available on ebay, thoughts?

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 8
if you can build a cheap box, it would be better. and you'll know the quality

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
if you can build a cheap box, it would be better. and you'll know the quality

agreed.

a cheap box can easily rock, especically for something liek surfing the web.

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Yes, I've heard some not very encouraging things about emacs as well.
I'd say build you own would be the way to go, or wait for some Dell deal.

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 8
When something is deleted from a harddrive, it isn't actually removed, and is therefore recoverable with a bit of effort

.. just sayin

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 8
I'd just get an AMD Duron 1.6GHz (ther should be some that come with a mobo), 256mB RAM, CD, 80GB HDD, FX5200, AV710. It could be done under $250.

asus case/mobo/cd(comes in all-in-one)-$40
Duron 1.6 (or 1.8)-40
RAM- 20
80GB HDD-60
FX5200-25
AV710-25

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 8
The eMac that my family had was good for its use. It indeed was very small and took up not a lot of room, was powerful, and fully-functional. All of these experiences are completely unknown to me and my time with the eMac. It was easy to set up and it contained a very initiative design and interface.

I recommend it if you can shell out the cash for it - otherwise, however, you should take the "build it yourself" route like so many others and I have. I have been building computers for almost ten years, and I have yet to spend more than 1000 dollars on a single machine. And these machines are much more than comparable against the likes of Dell or HP... I'd say that my latest computer build is probably better than most Alienware and VoodooPC models from last year (which is a good feat to accomplish for a one-year-old computer, with one-year-old hardware).

It takes some experience, and some balls - but overall it's very much worth the effort not only in self-satisfaction, but also in performance and quality for the money. A VERY nice system can be built for your purposes for under 200 dollars, methinks, before the added cost of software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back