Thoughts on budget cans AKG K-99
Oct 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

boxjon

New Head-Fier
81WBpYcjMfL._SL1500_.jpg

I am looking for a decent pair of budget headphones. I found these and heard good things.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Semi-open-Headphones-Leatherette-Earpads/dp/B001GF7WRW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381443555&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+k99

$49.99

Any thoughts?

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 11
For 49$ those may be barely O.K, but I think you can find better headphones for the price. 

Are you looking for open/closed pair of headphones? (do you need isolation)

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 11

Junk--AKG in name only.

Can you recommend anything? I'd like to keep it under $100.00 if possible.

To start, I need you to answer the following:

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound and don't isolate well)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 11
  For 49$ those may be barely O.K, but I think you can find better headphones for the price. 

Are you looking for open/closed pair of headphones? (do you need isolation)

Open is preferred for the sound stage. I currently have a Roland ua1g ad my dac through my PC but I plan on upgrading to a Schiit Modi/Magni combo. My budget would be $100.00.

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 11

To start, I need you to answer the following:

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound and don't isolate well)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Open Cans Preffered.

Roland UA1G, currently do not have an amp but getting one soon.

It's connected via USB to my PC.

So far my music lib consists of FLAC files.

I like crisp and rich sounds. No heavy bass.

Not for use outdoors.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 11
The problem is that there are very few quality non-portable sized open (and even semi open) cans below $100--and they are all or almost all in the Grado family (especially if you don't have an amp).  These on ear cans include the Grado SR 60i & 80i and Alessandro MS-1i.

The semi-open AKG K 240 Studio is good, but needs an amp to be at its best.  You can also look to Superlux and Samson cans.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 11
The problem is that there are very few quality non-portable sized open (and even semi open) cans below $100--and they are all or almost all in the Grado family (especially if you don't have an amp).  These on ear cans include the Grado SR 60i & 80i and Alessandro MS-1i.

The semi-open AKG K 240 Studio is good, but needs an amp to be at its best.  You can also look to Superlux and Samson cans.

The k240's look good. I saw some nice headphone tube amplifiers on eBay and a few other sites. Any thoughts on those?

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 11

The k240's look good. I saw some nice headphone tube amplifiers on eBay and a few other sites. Any thoughts on those?

Just about everything can be found on eBay (sooner or later).  You'll have to be more specific.

I'd start looking with the $99 solid state Schiit Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back