Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Jul 6, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #6,182 of 6,500
Finally found a technical video that shows Sigma Delta has issues with tracking fast changing(very steep sloping) signals: It is called Slope Overload Distortion. Also Sigma Delta has Granular Noise distortion.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Analog_and_Digital_Conversion/Delta_Modulation

Watch From 28m:50seconds onwards:

Interesting to note, but how applicable are granular noise and slope overload issues for multi-bit DS-modulators, which is basically everything out there these days.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #6,183 of 6,500
  Hey guys, could use some help.

I need a DAC preferably under 200$ (unless there is one near 300$ that is A LOT better).

My gear: Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2
Gustard H10
Lossless files
Want a USB connection to computer

My goal is a setup with bass extension, slam, and control.

Thanks.

Have the same question. Can you guys please suggest some warm sounding DACs in that price range (closer to $300). I tried the iDSD micro but still doesn't feel as "blended" enough as I imagined it would be.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #6,184 of 6,500
Have the same question. Can you guys please suggest some warm sounding DACs in that price range (closer to $300). I tried the iDSD micro but still doesn't feel as "blended" enough as I imagined it would be.

Your best move would be to save coloration for the amplification stage. You want your source to be neutral.

I haven't heard it but the new LH GOv2 is supposed to be very good (and relatively neutral). If you can wait and your budget is 500+ then rumor has it that might be a good idea.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #6,185 of 6,500
Yes the above mentioned DAC has gotten some very good reviews (holding out to say more until I try it).

That's a good point about wanting the DAC to be neutral - this way it can be like a chameleon - presenting everything the way it's supposed to be, so you can let the rest of your source chain do the coloring: the amp and its' tubes or op-amps, any software or hardware EQ'ing and of course the way the headphones present the sound signature. Otherwise a DAC with a character of it's own would plague the rest of your chain by presenting everything falsely.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #6,186 of 6,500

Well, I think that it's a valid question; hasn't this whole thread been about the varying sound signatures of dacs? Some say that even the mighty Yggdrasil can sound a bit forward (less warm), when compared to some of it's competition!

But of course, there's a lot more to getting the sound that you want than just choosing the right dac.

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #6,187 of 6,500
Jul 7, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #6,188 of 6,500
Gosh, why does this thread have 400+ pages of comments? Studio ADCs and DACs use D-S modulation and most relatively modern recordings went through numerous analog-digital / digital-analog conversions which means if there do exist D-S imperfections they are already on the recording and nothing can be done with it. Moreover I am willing to bet money that nobody will be able to tell the audible difference if Benchmark DAC1/ADC1 (D-S of course) combo is thrown in the signal chain that ends with say Schiit Yggdrasil.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #6,189 of 6,500
of course you would have cripple the cognoscenti's golden ears here with level matching, blinding protocol...

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #6,190 of 6,500
Gosh, why does this thread have 400+ pages of comments? Studio ADCs and DACs use D-S modulation and most relatively modern recordings went through numerous analog-digital / digital-analog conversions which means if there do exist D-S imperfections they are already on the recording and nothing can be done with it. Moreover I am willing to bet money that nobody will be able to tell the audible difference if Benchmark DAC1/ADC1 (D-S of course) combo is thrown in the signal chain that ends with say Schiit Yggdrasil.

Ah.....so this is the reason 90% of the recordings made since 2000 or so, sound so bad......

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #6,192 of 6,500

how much money are you willing to bet ? Set the test, I'll take it.

Hint, I have a Dac1 hdr and a theta dspro genV

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #6,193 of 6,500

how much money are you willing to bet ? Set the test, I'll take it.

Hint, I have a Dac1 hdr and a theta dspro genV

Hint: You might want to add a decent voltmeter to that combo before actually agreeing to do a test :)

My point is that ADC1/DAC1 will not add any coloration to the sound. And if you prefer the coloration your theta does, you will still have it regardless of analog-digital-analog conversion in your chain.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #6,194 of 6,500
^ Yup, it's totally the DACs that make recordings sound bad. It's for sure not the Loudness War at all, no way Jose. That would be silly.

Do you think it could be a combination of both MiceB? Probably, and the "applefication" of creating musical pablum for the "masses".

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #6,195 of 6,500

Hint: You might want to add a decent voltmeter to that combo before actually agreeing to do a test :)

My point is that ADC1/DAC1 will not add any coloration to the sound. And if you prefer the coloration your theta does, you will still have it regardless of analog-digital-analog conversion in your chain.

Details and ambiance cues are not a coloration, but regardless, if you consider there's a coloration, how would it be possible to not hear a difference ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back