Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Jul 5, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #6,166 of 6,500
Take it to Sound Science guys, if you want to debate this.

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #6,167 of 6,500

With all due respect, couldn't you say this for the entire thread? This whole thread has been about what people think and why, and the discussion has been very similar to these last few posts (in spirit and in substance at times) for so many, many posts.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #6,168 of 6,500

With all due respect, couldn't you say this for the entire thread? This whole thread has been about what people think and why, and the discussion has been very similar to these last few posts (in spirit and in substance at times) for so many, many posts.

It's a thread about subjective preferences, which has also turned into a discussion of the why of those preferences. Not a science thread overall.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #6,169 of 6,500

It's a thread about subjective preferences, which has also turned into a discussion of the why of those preferences. Not a science thread overall.

I'm still a little confused on how these really differ in substance, but it really doesn't matter as I know it is hard to keep threads on track so I have no desire to make your job harder. Years ago I was a moderator on at the time what was perhaps the busiest Internet community (it was on Search Engine Optimization and web site design/marketing) so I know it is often a thankless job. Cheers.

Jul 6, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #6,170 of 6,500
Hey guys, could use some help.

I need a DAC preferably under 200$ (unless there is one near 300$ that is A LOT better).

My gear: Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2
Gustard H10
Lossless files
Want a USB connection to computer

My goal is a setup with bass extension, slam, and control.

Thanks.

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #6,171 of 6,500
Hey guys, could use some help.

I need a DAC preferably under 200$ (unless there is one near 300$ that is A LOT better).

My gear: Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2
Gustard H10
Lossless files
Want a USB connection to computer

My goal is a setup with bass extension, slam, and control.

Thanks.

A decent DAC, the amp is not that good, is the iFi iDSD Nano.

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #6,172 of 6,500
A decent DAC, the amp is not that good, is the iFi iDSD Nano.

Thanks for the reply. You are the 2nd person to recommend the iFi DSD Nano. My concerns are the following, if using it with the computer full time (I have no need for a portable setup), will it ever need to be recharged if always connected via USB?

Also, will I have the problem of double-amping? Or how can I bypass the amplifier of the iFi DSD Nano?

Also, does anyone have a opinion on the Peachtree Audio DAC-iT X? http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/dac-it-x-digital-to-analog-converter.html

I'd really like to stay away from battery powered / DAC/AMP combos. I just want a DAC that is either USB powered or powered via wall wart. No batteries, no amps, this is strictly for desktop use. And I already have an amplifier. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #6,173 of 6,500

Also, does anyone have a opinion on the Peachtree Audio DAC-iT X? http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/dac-it-x-digital-to-analog-converter.html

There are some impressiions over here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/650791/schiit-bifrost-v-s-peachtree-dac-it

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #6,174 of 6,500
  There are some impressiions over here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/650791/schiit-bifrost-v-s-peachtree-dac-it

Appreciate it, although I did already read it.

A lot of people say the Modi 2 sounds quite similar to the Bifrost, I wonder how much weight that holds.

Being a first timer sucks, I have nothing to compare to and really just dont know the price/performance ratio of any of these DACs. If the Modi 2 performs within 75% of the Bifrost; I would have no problem going that route and saving 400$. (400$ that I don't have anyways)

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #6,176 of 6,500
Thanks for the reply. You are the 2nd person to recommend the iFi DSD Nano. My concerns are the following, if using it with the computer full time (I have no need for a portable setup), will it ever need to be recharged if always connected via USB?

Also, will I have the problem of double-amping? Or how can I bypass the amplifier of the iFi DSD Nano?

I'd really like to stay away from battery powered / DAC/AMP combos. I just want a DAC that is either USB powered or powered via wall wart. No batteries, no amps, this is strictly for desktop use. And I already have an amplifier. 

I was cross shopping the iFi iDSD Nano and the SMSL M8. The iFi can run on battery only once charged or from the wall wart once charged. It has better documentation and support than the M8. The M8 is a bit less expensive. There were no iDSD Nano available in my area when I decided to buy. I am happy with M8. It sounds great but support could be much better.

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #6,177 of 6,500
Appreciate it, although I did already read it.

A lot of people say the Modi 2 sounds quite similar to the Bifrost, I wonder how much weight that holds.

Being a first timer sucks, I have nothing to compare to and really just dont know the price/performance ratio of any of these DACs. If the Modi 2 performs within 75% of the Bifrost; I would have no problem going that route and saving 400$. (400$ that I don't have anyways)

Modi2 is definitely 75% of bifrost uber. The original modi, however, no. It is scary how good modi2 is, and unless you want upgradeability, I would choose Modi2 (unless you can somehow score a bifrost for cheap).

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #6,178 of 6,500
Modi2 is definitely 75% of bifrost uber. The original modi, however, no. It is scary how good modi2 is, and unless you want upgradeability, I would choose Modi2 (unless you can somehow score a bifrost for cheap).

75%?  I thought it was more like 68%.

Jul 6, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #6,180 of 6,500
75%?  I thought it was more like 68%.

Yes, but you can only hear the difference in a blind listening test, trusting your own ears is not permitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back