Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 21, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #4,321 of 6,500
  I would buy a Shiitphone only if it had a fully discrete JEFT analog output stage running in pure class A.

Just don't let your conversations get too "heated"
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #4,322 of 6,500
  I would buy a Shiitphone only if it had a fully discrete JEFT analog output stage running in pure class A.

will this use multibit DAC as well?

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #4,323 of 6,500
  Cue thread explosion - Tuesday AM LA time - in your face mulder01 !

http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

we're not worthy... 
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #4,325 of 6,500
Apr 21, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #4,326 of 6,500
I'm going to create a savings account for my Yggdrasil.. [xxx # of days until my Theta eventually expires] that way when it does expire I have the logical successor to the headphone throne.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #4,327 of 6,500
Want to thank the messiah for keeping up the endless comparisons between dacs, because I can't afford to. This thread has been instrumental to navigating the world of dacs for me personally and I thank you!

Looking forward to the Yggy's arrival.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #4,329 of 6,500
Those of you who can't wait to read the impressions of the Yggy - it was on display last month at CanJam Socal (stacked with the Rangarok I believe) and probably at least 100 people auditioned it. You can read some of the initial impressions here. I remember I was at the Schiit booth trying some of the smaller gear, only looking at all the big amps / DACs, but I'd never heard of the Yggdrasil at the time and was more interested in medium/small size gear so I passed over it. There was always someone or another getting a lot of head time on it though and not much movement around there.

In hindsight I should've tried it, but I'm sure I'll be pleased with my Gustard X12 and later the Alo Audio CDM (portable DAC / tube amp hybrid) for quite a while anyway. That would tickle my fancy if they released a portable (or at least transportable) Yggy... word?

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #4,330 of 6,500
Those of you who can't wait to read the impressions of the Yggy - it was on display last month at CanJam Socal (stacked with the Rangarok I believe) and probably at least 100 people auditioned it. You can read some of the initial impressions here. I remember I was at the Schiit booth trying some of the smaller gear, only looking at all the big amps / DACs, but I'd never heard of the Yggdrasil at the time and was more interested in medium/small size gear so I passed over it. There was always someone or another getting a lot of head time on it though and not much movement around there.

In hindsight I should've tried it, but I'm sure I'll be pleased with my Gustard X12 and later the Alo Audio CDM (portable DAC / tube amp hybrid) for quite a while anyway. That would tickle my fancy if they released a portable (or at least transportable) Yggy... word?

There were actually 3 of them in attendance at Can Jam with 2 others aside from the one you mentioned. Due to the one at the Schiit table being effectively locked down, I was able to listen to one of the others.

Also, there is a difference between hearing it at a noisy fest with a chain that you're not used to hearing it through, and a great length of time at home with gear that you are familiar with. The impressions will come. Even against other high end DAC's that owners already have.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #4,331 of 6,500

I think Currawong's comment summarized it: if one listen to well recorded/master acoustic material, then it makes perfect sense for the true 20bit resolution of the Yggy. If one listens mostly to music produced by synthesizer and ADC of 6 to 8bit resolutions, the Yggy won't make much difference anyway.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #4,332 of 6,500
  Cue thread explosion - Tuesday AM LA time - in your face mulder01 !

http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

I know we're meant to be letting it go, but Tuesday wasn't the 20th... Just sayin' 
You were pretty close though - I'll give you that

Did I read earlier that you aren't going to be buying this DAC anyway?  How can you be so excited about the release of a product that you're not going to buy?

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #4,333 of 6,500
I recall Purrin stating that the Yggy is capable of extracting plankton from any recording. There is also something to be said for tone.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #4,334 of 6,500

I know we're meant to be letting it go, but Tuesday wasn't the 20th... Just sayin' 
You were pretty close though - I'll give you that

Did I read earlier that you aren't going to be buying this DAC anyway?  How can you be so excited about the release of a product that you're not going to buy?

Im was pretty excited when CERN found the God Particle even though its not going to affect me.

Breakthroughs are always exciting!.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #4,335 of 6,500
I recall Purrin stating that the Yggy is capable of extracting plankton from ANY recording.

And if it was personally blessed by purrin, the iggy can also extract chlorophyll from stones and prepare a nice veggie burger for you.

Joking aside, SOME music does not contain any extra 'plankton' .. e.g. the electro music mentioned by the OP only contains the pure synth-generated tones and nothing more.

***edited. Bolded a few keywords to avoid more funny comprehension-based flames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back