Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 14, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #4,036 of 6,500
  Well... kind of disappointed by the Gungnir after reading conquerator2 review ! :frowning2: But I guess I would not notice the difference. You seem to have a lot more experience than me in sound !! 

Still freaking about passing my order to Schiit... Damn this is pricey (2000$ CND for Gungnir + Asgard 2 + Wyrd) :frowning2: 

Keep your Asgard 2. I wouldn't go on too fast to get rid of the Gungnir. Look through Audiogon/Canuck Audio Mart/eBay and you can still score yourself a nice vintage DAC to compare to the Gungnir. If you like the other DAC more it isn't that hard to sell a Gungnir since they are very popular and have more resolution than the Bifrost Uber by a slight degree.

Here's a few songs for those with a Theta to listen to and get awe-struck:

Fleetwood Mac- Hypnotized
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
The Doors - Riders on the Storm

Nirvana - Lithium **edit** just listened to this, WOW didn't know so much was on 16-bit redbook. From the cymbals hitting ever so naturally throughout the song, nothing ever came off as unnatural to me.
great soundstage tests

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #4,037 of 6,500

Keep your Asgard 2. I wouldn't go on too fast to get rid of the Gungnir. Look through Audiogon/Canuck Audio Mart/eBay and you can still score yourself a nice vintage DAC to compare to the Gungnir. If you like the other DAC more it isn't that hard to sell a Gungnir since they are very popular and have more resolution than the Bifrost Uber by a slight degree.

I don't have any DAC yet. I had an Asus Sonar Essence STX in my PC for driving my headphones and speakers, but I converted my PC into a server so I lost the sound card.

I am about to buy the Schiit kit (Gungnir + Asgard 2 + Wyrd). 

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #4,039 of 6,500

I ripped this from CD into FLAC.

Dire Straits was downloaded in 24-bit/44.1khz

The Doors is from the Greatest Hits CD which I believe contains remasters

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #4,041 of 6,500
Please don't take this bad but I feel compelled to tell you the proper spelling for the verb hearing: I hear, you hear, he/she hears. I heard, you heard, he/she heard.

I've refrained from posting this but I swear it, whenever I read a "herd" on this, you're the poster. Example: you last two posts in just this thread...

Or maybe it's your signature writing. Suffice to say, it pains my eyes and probably others too
wink.gif

Back to topic...

Arnaud

Arnaud.....Please,are you kidding??..LOL

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #4,043 of 6,500
Hold your horses, there is still a chance in the future that Gungnir and Bifrost Uber will go through another set of upgrades. Then you will feel unloyal and sad when they both end up becoming R2R DACs.

Don't count on it, but Mike did mention something about the loyal Theta customers who stuck around long enough to upgrade to version A. I got a version A Progeny and I am not an original owner, just lucky the original owner sent it back in.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #4,044 of 6,500
  Hold your horses, there is still a chance in the future that Gungnir and Bifrost Uber will go through another set of upgrades. Then you will feel unloyal and sad when they both end up becoming R2R DACs.

Don't count on it, but Mike did mention something about the loyal Theta customers who stuck around long enough to upgrade to version A. I got a version A Progeny and I am not an original owner, just lucky the original owner sent it back in.

Both the Gungnir and Bifrost are listed as "future-proof". I take Schiit at their word.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #4,045 of 6,500

Both the Gungnir and Bifrost are listed as "future-proof". I take Schiit at their word.

"Future-proof," yes...but that doesn't mean they'll go from S-D to R2R. Similarly, just because the Bifrost is upgradeable doesn't mean it'll ever become a Gungnir or Yggy. But yeah I'm definitely hoping the Gungnir gets an R2R upgrade. The Yggy is about double the limit of my price range.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #4,047 of 6,500

"Future-proof," yes...but that doesn't mean they'll go from S-D to R2R. Similarly, just because the Bifrost is upgradeable doesn't mean it'll ever become a Gungnir or Yggy. But yeah I'm definitely hoping the Gungnir gets an R2R upgrade. The Yggy is about double the limit of my price range.

I'd be very very surprised if we see a R2R implementation of a Gungnir upgrade...might as well pull out the USB card and plunk it in Gungnir level R2R in that case.  Possible, but not economically sensible.  Maybe in three years of the Yggy takes off and they figure out how to cut costs on the core implementation.  Still, I'd be willing the bet against it. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #4,048 of 6,500
Sorry for my ignorance ... But what is R2R concretely?

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #4,049 of 6,500
  I'd be very very surprised if we see a R2R implementation of a Gungnir upgrade...might as well pull out the USB card and plunk it in Gungnir level R2R in that case.  Possible, but not economically sensible.  Maybe in three years of the Yggy takes off and they figure out how to cut costs on the core implementation.  Still, I'd be willing the bet against it. 

Yeah, I get that. I should have said that I'm hoping they come out with an R2R that's cheaper than the Yggy. Like Theta had different versions. I view the Yggy as an upgrade to the Gen V; I'm hoping for an analogous upgrade to the Basic II or Prime.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #4,050 of 6,500

Yeah, I get that. I should have said that I'm hoping they come out with an R2R that's cheaper than the Yggy. Like Theta had different versions. I view the Yggy as an upgrade to the Gen V; I'm hoping for an analogous upgrade to the Basic II or Prime.

Yes, a less gold-plated R2R than Yggy would be great and hopefully doable without too many audible corners cut. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back