Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 13, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #4,006 of 6,500
Hello again, thanks. So it looks like you're upgrading your DAC because the NFB-15 is too warm and mid-forward? Also I've scoured the web and I can't find this one for sell new/used ANYWHERE. But I guess that's OK. Yes please post your impressions on your Adcom once you try it out. Thanks much!

I upgraded to the NFB-28 a couple months ago because I've upgraded headphones and wanted a more neutral sound (also balanced out). I still have the 15 because I really like it with my older headphones and it's nice to have an option in DAC's.

Now that I have a few more DAC's coming in tho, it might be time to get rid of it. Makes me sad thinking about selling it but I am not using it much.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4,007 of 6,500
Hello again, thanks. So it looks like you're upgrading your DAC because the NFB-15 is too warm and mid-forward? Also I've scoured the web and I can't find this one for sell new/used ANYWHERE. But I guess that's OK. Yes please post your impressions on your Adcom once you try it out. Thanks much!
I have an Audio-gd Compass DAC/amp that I'm considering selling for around $200. Do your own research, but it should be a step up from the NFB-15. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #4,008 of 6,500
Hello guys, thanks much for your advice on DACs. I'm sure I will consider one of those once I can afford them. But for now with my question about the best DAC for around $150-ish, I'm surprised nobody mentioned about the HRT microStreamer or HRT Music Streamer III, or the  Peachtree Audio DAC-iT. Does anybody have anything to share about their experiences with either of these? 

Also @auvgeek I will send you a PM, thank you.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #4,009 of 6,500
  Hello guys, thanks much for your advice on DACs. I'm sure I will consider one of those once I can afford them. But for now with my question about the best DAC for around $150-ish, I'm surprised nobody mentioned about the HRT microStreamer or HRT Music Streamer III, or the Peachtree Audio DAC-iT. Does anybody have anything to share about their experiences with either of these? 

Also @auvgeek I will send you a PM, thank you.

I had issues with my Mircostreamer on one of my computers so I sold it.  It can be picky about USB and setting and stuff in Windows (they know it and help folks here to get it resolved, but I didn't feel like dealing with it).  The guy I sold it to had Mac and no issues.

You might check out the Meridian Explorer or Explorer 2.

In other news, I'm taking my first listen to the Adcom right now.  First impressions (compared to the Sabre in my NFB-28):  slightly mid-forward but without sounding dark, treble is a bit rolled off or laid back but very smooth/musical, it sounds a bit congested.  The treble is the most obvious difference.  Honestly, except for the slight congestion, I'd say this little guy compares quite favorably to the NFB-28.  

I need to go back to the mod thread and see if it's supposed to open up the soundstage a bit...

EDIT - Actually, if I spend a song or two just on the Adcom and go back to the sabre, the treble on the sabre is actually really annoying...

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #4,010 of 6,500

I had issues with my Mircostreamer on one of my computers so I sold it.  It can be picky about USB and setting and stuff in Windows (they know it and help folks here to get it resolved, but I didn't feel like dealing with it).  The guy I sold it to had Mac and no issues.

In other news, I'm taking my first listen to the Adcom right now.  First impressions (compared to the Sabre in my NFB-28):  slightly mid-forward but without sounding dark, treble is a bit rolled off or laid back but very smooth/musical, it sounds a bit congested.  The treble is the most obvious difference.  Honestly, except for the slight congestion, I'd say this little guy compares quite favorably to the NFB-28.  

I need to go back to the mod thread and see if it's supposed to open up the soundstage a bit...

EDIT - Actually, if I spend a song or two just on the Adcom and go back to the sabre, the treble on the sabre is actually really annoying...

Didn't you get the 006 ,new??,You might need to break it in more,before you do any modds..?From what you've read on the modd site,do you think there will be a night & day improvement??
Anyway,all in all,you got , one hell of a deal.--

The 007 I ordered yesterday,cost me over 21/2 times. what you grabbed the 006 for.
Sometimes the audio Gods look down on us.....-NICE!!

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #4,011 of 6,500
  Didn't you get the 006 ,new??,You might need to break it in more,before you do any modds..?From what you've read on the modd site,do you think there will be a night & day improvement??
Anyway,all in all,you got , one hell of a deal.--

The 007 I ordered yesterday,cost me over 21/2 times. what you grabbed the 006 for.
Sometimes the audio Gods look down on us.....-NICE!!

New?  No, lol, not sure where you got that.  But yeah, I'm sure it needs to warm up a bit and stay on for a few weeks before it sounds its best (/sarcasm guys!) and I plan on leaving it on all the time.  

I'm not going to jump into the mods just yet for a few reasons:  I want to get used to the stock sound for a little bit.  Also, I'm buying a Cavalli amp tomorrow, and I have a Theta DAC incoming and I have another surprise audio-related expense (that I'm DEFINITELY not complaining about, but wasn't expecting).  Also taxes.

So yeah, maybe the mod in a few weeks.  lol

Re: night and day:

i had some lengthy sessions friday and saturday..it's a huge improvement! like going from a redbook cd to a well-done re-master! it is not sutble! i was pushing some serious current into my 2btl's and i think my ears were the weak link:wink: the bass now has incredible slam and depth!that's on all recordings...not just when it feels like showing up, like before:wink: the drum sounds are great! snares sound like snares....you can almost se the wires in the snare drum...pianoes sound better than ever...and the SDA???? holy schnikeys! active alive and all over!! this is a must do upgrade! 

if you own one of these,,you will never understand what you are missing out on if you do not perform this mod,as it truly transforms this into a whole 'nother animal.

So who else has done this mod? I know have about 60-70 hours on the new parts. One word that comes to mind is hyper-detail. I'm not saying if that is a positive or negative, just very, very detailed. Not sure how I feel about it. I definitely wouldn't say it's analog sounding like the stock unit leaned. Again I need more listening time to formulate if it's too detailed. Not harsh, or fatiguing, etc. just very detailed.
The sound stage has improved hugely in both depth and width and space around instruments is superb. Decay and attack has improved as well.

P.s. My prior post doesn't mean to imply that the mod isn't desirable, just putting some impressions out there. My impressions aren't fully formulated yet and may take a few months of listening for the final verdict. So far I LIKE what I hear.

At just around 100 hours of break-in this thing has really settled in. It sounds fantastic. I can't get over the detail and soundstage is just huge. Bass extension is nice as well especially at lower levels.
If you have one of these and have the skills this is really a no brainer and worth every penny.

Ok, the final verdict is this modd is fu*king fantastic. My rig has never sounded better. Better dynamics, detail, bass, clarity, microdynamics and all still leaning towards the analog side of the scale. Biggest improvement has been the sound stage, noticeably deeper and wider as well as better delineation between instruments and vocals.
Listening to Rod Stewart's - Stay w/ Me last night I kept hearing a cymbol crash way back in the mix behind the speakers.............never heard that before. Well, I've heard the crash before, but mostly in the same plane as the rest of the cymbol's. It's this kind of stuff, which you have to notice and listen for, where the largest improvements and enjoyment comes from for me.
Highly, highly recommended

Some random impressions from that thread to give you an idea of what I've been reading.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #4,012 of 6,500
  New?  No, lol, not sure where you got that.  But yeah, I'm sure it needs to warm up a bit and stay on for a few weeks before it sounds its best (/sarcasm guys!) and I plan on leaving it on all the time.  

I'm not going to jump into the mods just yet for a few reasons:  I want to get used to the stock sound for a little bit.  Also, I'm buying a Cavalli amp tomorrow, and I have a Theta DAC incoming and I have another surprise audio-related expense (that I'm DEFINITELY not complaining about, but wasn't expecting).  Also taxes.

So yeah, maybe the mod in a few weeks.  lol

Re: night and day:

Some random impressions from that thread to give you an idea of what I've been reading.

Don't know where I got that idea,either..when I bought the Parasound ZDAC,the seller told me it was laying around for a few years??,maybe that was it??
The ZDAC was new,,which is rare for a dac,made in 1996.

Wow,I must say,you've been busy
Good luck with all your gear that's coming in..,very nice.

Buzz me,after you get the Theta,please..

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #4,013 of 6,500
First off,I want to aplogise, for my rude tone in my reply,earlier,{guess it struck me,the wrong way} ,,and I doubt,if ever I will spend $1K on a cable ,again
The first place I jump to ,when a cable is needed is monoprice,or,the buy/sell forum.
Have a good day,

Mike

Na no need aplogys here as we all can have "testosteroned" comments at times and I admit I can come across brash at times,
but mainly because I see lots of sincere dudes looking for help and end up spending alot here.
We shouldnt be tempted by latest dacs or headphones just because its new.

A good game plan is to try ro save so as to skip over alot gear,
that in essence would just be a "side-grade" more than a real upgrade.
I did my own mistakes with the dacs also.
didnt really need to upgrade from irdac but the oppo was an all in one solution that I could not resist.
Now that I have herd better in the AKM type dacs(Gingnir& LIO),
I have to admit the lesabre dacs were nicely detailed but not optimal for the hd800..

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #4,014 of 6,500
Na no need aplogys here as we all can have "testosteroned" comments at times and I admit I can come across brash at times,
but mainly because I see lots of sincere dudes looking for help and end up spending alot here.
We shouldnt be tempted by latest dacs or headphones just because its new.

A good game plan is to try ro save so as to skip over alot gear,
that in essence would just be a "side-grade" more than a real upgrade.
I did my own mistakes with the dacs also.
didnt really need to upgrade from irdac but the oppo was an all in one solution that I could not resist.
Now that I have herd better in the AKM type dacs(Gingnir& LIO),
I have to admit the lesabre dacs were nicely detailed but not optimal for the hd800..

Yeah,at the time I bought the 009's,I was on a real audio bender
I was searching out any & all ways of improving the 009 flavor--the Van Del hull cables ,helped me reach that goal

For the last few weeks,I've been going in a sideways direction,buying vintage dacs,wherever I can find them-at a good price.
It's also a learning curve for me,as I know nothing about gear that's 25 years old.
One item I plan on getting though...yes,you are correct
La Yggdrasil,..LOL..it's a new state of the art,Viking dac.
This will halt my $1K cable purchases,forever.

Have a good night,Later,
Mike

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #4,015 of 6,500
  Yeah,at the time I bought the 009's,I was on a real audio bender
I was searching out any & all ways of improving the 009 flavor--the Van Del hull cables ,helped me reach that goal

For the last few weeks,I've been going in a sideways direction,buying vintage dacs,wherever I can find them-at a good price.
It's also a learning curve for me,as I know nothing about gear that's 25 years old.
One item I plan on getting though...yes,you are correct
La Yggdrasil,..LOL..it's a new state of the art,Viking dac.
This will halt my $1K cable purchases,forever.

Have a good night,Later,
Mike

Once a cable junkie, always a cable junkie
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #4,016 of 6,500

Once a cable junkie, always a cable junkie
biggrin.gif

LOL-No,I've graduated to a DAC junkie!!!
Sidenote--when my wife found out about the 1K cable,she said to.me ."enjoy it now,because I'm going to hang you with it"

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #4,017 of 6,500
Apr 13, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #4,018 of 6,500
  Sidenote--when my wife found out about the 1K cable,she said to.me ."enjoy it now,because I'm going to hang you with it"

That's why I stick to $2,300 that you can't yet buy.  And my kids are far more dangerous than my wife.  

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #4,019 of 6,500
  LOL-No,I've graduated to a DAC junkie!!!

Ha ha, I'll bet she will yet. So funny.

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #4,020 of 6,500

I think when you first start listening to the R2R DACs they give you the impression they sound slightly rolled off or not as detailed. Then when you go back to the S-D AKM or Sabre variants they both sound noticeably more glarey and not smooth enough. Sounds like you've been initiated.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back