Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 11, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #3,917 of 6,500

Thanks a lot for the confirmation.
And is it really that good ?
For good i mean mostly 3dimensional, with good dynamics and a robust bass.

However i am looking at Theta dacs but there are so many models.  All nice ?
Is it possible to get a ranking of their dacs ?
As i said i am looking for something 3dimensional, with good dynamics and a robust bass.

Thanks again,  gino  

Yes it is really that good. I think the special DSP filter and R2R smoothness help lend to the "analogue" sound that I have read in just about every audio forums impressions on them. It sounds more dynamic though than your typical vinyl setup and more extended both ways.

The reason the soundstage is such a big deal to me is because the Theta creates a stable center image and this lends to the 3D placement effect of instruments.

There is not just depth but width that I didn't know my Alpha Dogs were even capable of.

Treble is always smooth and palpable, sure it isn't as "detailed" as some of the other modern offerings out there but the macrodetail and precise imaging make it a very natural sounding DAC. Cymbals in good recordings always sound clean, not splashy and tizzy. Big ups to Theta and Mike for such a bargain. I can't wait to do a real Yggy comparison with my vintage beast.

EDIT: For all you Tool fans out there, I just listened to a few tracks off AEnima. My mind is blown, the drums of Danny Carey are imaged so perfectly. I can picture myself sitting in the middle of the studio and the weight of the drums is characterized by the mid and bass slam that this Theta has. Like Purrin said with the Gen V, instruments growl and hit you hard. Same case with the Progeny, maybe not as refined as the Gen V.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #3,919 of 6,500
PM me bmichaels.

Looks like it is that time of month, for Estreeter

Be nice, he's right.

My apologies, I'll try to stay on topic.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #3,920 of 6,500
Sound Science would mean actual science is involved in the discussion.
rolleyes.gif
Anybody even seen that forum? XD

My favourite Snake Oil btw http://www.machinadynamica.com/ And yes, it's not a parody, these guys are serious hahaha
eek.gif

Anyway, back to DACs, I find the Concero HD and HP to lack the digititis that comes along with almost all Sabre implementations. Only Matrix X-Sabre lacks the digititis as well. Concero HP works surprisingly well for such a portable option with the HD800, and very well or all except the most sensitive IEMs and headphones I've tried on them :)

Also, the little secret with the Concero HP is that you can use a 1/4 to RCA adapter and use it as a pre-amp/DAC.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3,921 of 6,500
  Sound Science would mean actual science is involved in the discussion.
rolleyes.gif
Anybody even seen that forum? XD

Empirical testing is part of science.  If you can't at least manage that part of it, I'm not sure how you can claim to hold a valid opinion on the subject.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #3,922 of 6,500
Apr 11, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3,923 of 6,500
Be nice, he's right.

My apologies, I'll try to stay on topic.

I know,

Estreeter is the best-I always search out his responses--good info,always.....??..well not always

Estreet..PM me,if you have time,OK?

Mike

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #3,926 of 6,500
Apr 11, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #3,927 of 6,500

Yes it is really that good. I think the special DSP filter and R2R smoothness help lend to the "analogue" sound that I have read in just about every audio forums impressions on them. It sounds more dynamic though than your typical vinyl setup and more extended both ways.

The reason the soundstage is such a big deal to me is because the Theta creates a stable center image and this lends to the 3D placement effect of instruments.

There is not just depth but width that I didn't know my Alpha Dogs were even capable of.

Treble is always smooth and palpable, sure it isn't as "detailed" as some of the other modern offerings out there but the macrodetail and precise imaging make it a very natural sounding DAC. Cymbals in good recordings always sound clean, not splashy and tizzy. Big ups to Theta and Mike for such a bargain. I can't wait to do a real Yggy comparison with my vintage beast.

EDIT: For all you Tool fans out there, I just listened to a few tracks off AEnima. My mind is blown, the drums of Danny Carey are imaged so perfectly. I can picture myself sitting in the middle of the studio and the weight of the drums is characterized by the mid and bass slam that this Theta has. Like Purrin said with the Gen V, instruments growl and hit you hard. Same case with the Progeny, maybe not as refined as the Gen V.

Huge Tool fan myself (frustrated drummer). That is an amazing sounding album for the genre and the runs Carey pulls off are just nuts, Fourty Six and two, just crazy stuff. Have you seen that pretty hot female drummer Meytal Cohhen or something like that? She bangs out a cover of Fourty Six and Two and misses NOTHING!

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #3,928 of 6,500
  AS you know I am testing right now a ARM DP-777 SE new DAC and I have mixed feeling about it's sound quality. The importer told me to verify if the load and the neutral are not inversed, because his DAC is quite sensible to inverted phase (load).

I therefore did some simple tests it looks like my power system is totally mess-up:

LOAD should be on the right prong (tester should light-up) and neutral on the left one (tester should NOT light-up) ? Correct ?

but...according to the tester which light-up on EACH prong, It seems that I have load on right and on left ( see pictures ).

-> Is it wrong ? can this reduce the sound quality of my DAC & AMP ? or damage them ?

sincerely

Those neon screwdrivers are not the most accurate or reliable means of testing power.  I wouldn't rely on it too much.  

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #3,929 of 6,500
You should list prices on page 1 :)

I'm looking for something as an upgrade to my HRT microStreamer. The DAC in the microStreamer is PCM1793 if you were wondering. Any suggestions as an upgrade?

Anything under $400?

Has to have:

- its own power supply (the obvious upgrade)
- USB async
- stereo RCA would be good

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #3,930 of 6,500
  It constantly amazes me how so many participants on Head-Fi can make such accurate determinations regarding specific empirical matters without having to have any of the relevant experiences.  Science can now move forward at a staggering pace due to this exciting development.  

Just making the above statement is the proof itself!

Agreed. Other forum are worse though. All DACs sounds the same, all amps sounds the same, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back