Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 6, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #3,736 of 6,500
I'm somewhat of a fan of the all-in-one design. I run a Sony HAP-S1 in my main setup. The achilles heel of the thing is that it's locked into using the onboard DAC...It would be ideal if I could lineout to another DAC. Onboard, it uses the PCM1794 or 1795. Sounds fine, but hardly safe from the upgrade bug. I'm planning to audition an Aries with the DAC's I have and, if that works out, start moving towards an Aries/Yggy frontend.

So the delay/price tag of the Yggy isn't bothering me right now. lol

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #3,737 of 6,500

@bmichels re: the CAT, you'd just be using this is just a transport, yes? That seems seems a lot of pay for a PC. Better putting your attention and money into a DAC that you like.

well, as for the DAC, I am testing right now the ARM DP-777 SE and, If I finally do not kept it, I will look into other options like the Total DAC, the next Chord "secret" Project xxxx, and also the... Yggdrasil

But, I stil need a good music server.  So I am hesitating between some Windows based servers like this CAT or a Baetis or...some more safe options like Aurender, Aries, Antipode...

NOTE: I believe that the CAT includes in it's price the 2 external Teddy Pardo power supply.

but the Baetis is another (better known) Windows's based server alternative...

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #3,738 of 6,500

I think you may be right about the Linn Numerik. I was reading the Stereophile review from a long time ago and the descriptive language sounds like it's full of fluff. Talking about how it sounds very laid back and has such a smooth treble response, yet at the same time doesn't offer the upper mids or bass that the other DACs compared (DS Pro Basic II)

And here's a recent review of the Linn Sondek CD12.  Short version, not as good as the original reviews made it out to be http://hifi-advice.com/Linn-CD12-review.html

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #3,740 of 6,500

I think you may be right about the Linn Numerik. I was reading the Stereophile review from a long time ago and the descriptive language sounds like it's full of fluff. Talking about how it sounds very laid back and has such a smooth treble response, yet at the same time doesn't offer the upper mids or bass that the other DACs compared (DS Pro Basic II)

I'd be interested in that... Because I just scored the Basic II for $400 
biggrin.gif

Excited! 
popcorn.gif

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #3,741 of 6,500
  I'd be interested in that... Because I just scored the Basic II for $400 
biggrin.gif

Excited! 
popcorn.gif

WOW Nice one!!! that is basically a balanced Progeny. 2x PCM67 + 2x Motorola DSP56001. Nice score!

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #3,742 of 6,500
  WOW Nice one!!! that is basically a balanced Progeny. 2x PCM67 + 2x Motorola DSP56001. Nice score!

Yep, excited man!
After barely missing a non-A Progeny on Ebay [for a bit more!], ,I feel redemption 
biggrin.gif
Not sure if it is the BAL version [apparently it was optional. I've inquired to the seller. I wasn't sure from the pics.] but I don't care all that much. 2x PCM and DSPs are still in there.
It is also the non-A version, and it has an AES/EBU input instead of the BNC... This model never had a toslink input, regardless. Guy says it is an original piece, so I guess you could choose/customize that, perhaps?
Everything seems legit and the guy seems to have taken good care of it... Hopefully it lasts!
No idea, but it seems very promising. 
beerchug.gif

Certainly hyped! Cost me less than my previous DAC [the Gustard X12, which was VERY good arguably, but different technology].

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #3,743 of 6,500
Yep, excited man!
After barely missing a non-A Progeny on Ebay [for a bit more!], ,I feel redemption :D .
Not sure if it is the BAL version [apparently it was optional. I've inquired to the seller. I wasn't sure from the pics.] but I don't care all that much. 2x PCM and DSPs are still in there.
It is also the non-A version, and it has an AES/EBU input instead of the BNC... This model never had a toslink input, regardless. Guy says it is an original piece, so I guess you could choose/customize that, perhaps?
Everything seems legit and the guy seems to have taken good care of it... Hopefully it lasts!
No idea, but it seems very promising. :beerchug:
Certainly hyped! Cost me less than my previous DAC [the Gustard X12, which was VERY good arguably, but different technology].

http://www.thetadigital.com/legacy_products.shtml#fully_balanced_differential_layout

Which DAC you got ? Which one should one aim for ? Thanks

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #3,744 of 6,500
http://www.thetadigital.com/legacy_products.shtml#fully_balanced_differential_layout

Which DAC you got ? Which one should one aim for ? Thanks

http://www.thetadigital.com/legacy_products.shtml#basic_ii
That's the one I got. But honestly, I think anything is worth a try... 
smily_headphones1.gif

And happy Easter everyone! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #3,745 of 6,500

...DAC nobody here owns, just because it uses some vintage chips. 
tongue.gif

Teradak has what looks like an old Parasound clone using PCM63s for only about $400 if you don't mind only 48k input.

Hi Amos,

Do you have a link to this at 400USD - perhaps it went up after they decided it had a 'fever five drill reputation' : arguably the last thing I want in a DAC but clearly a selling point for some  :wink:

http://www.cart100.com/Product/15139446028/Marshal_TeraDak_fourth_version_of_the_PC/

Thanks 

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #3,746 of 6,500

well, as for the DAC, I am testing right now the ARM DP-777 SE and, If I finally do not kept it, I will look into other options like the Total DAC, the next Chord "secret" Project xxxx, and also the... Yggdrasil

But, I stil need a good music server.  So I am hesitating between some Windows based servers like this CAT or a Baetis or...some more safe options like Aurender, Aries, Antipode...

NOTE: I believe that the CAT includes in it's price the 2 external Teddy Pardo power supply.

but the Baetis is another (better known) Windows's based server alternative...

10,000 pounds for a Windows PC in a fancy case seems absurdly overpriced to me.

You can DIY that including a fancy custom case for a fraction of the cost and it will be every bit as good, including top of the line/boutique components and all the customizing/tweaks you'd want. 

-Mike

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3,747 of 6,500
Okay well I just snagged an Adcom GDA-600 for a song.  I'm sure it's no Theta, but for the price, it's one way to try vintage R2R on the cheap...

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #3,748 of 6,500
  Okay well I just snagged an Adcom GDA-600 for a song.  I'm sure it's no Theta, but for the price, it's one way to try vintage R2R on the cheap...

Congradulations,Stillhart ,-use it in good health.

Was that the one on e-bay?-I looked at that last night.?

I'm now looking at the 700..its got XLR connections..
I may try to get it.?????

Mike

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #3,749 of 6,500

beerchug.gif
 Same day as I did the Basic II... Happy Easter huh? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #3,750 of 6,500
  Congradulations,Stillhart ,-use it in good health.

Was that the one on e-bay?-I looked at that last night.?

I'm now looking at the 700..its got XLR connections..
I may try to get it.?????

Mike

Nope, this one was posted this morning.  The one last night was $175 before shipping and this one was $98.  Also sold by Stereo Exchange in NYC, so trustworthy seller.

I was definitely looking at the 700 tho.  I've got my eye on a few units right now, but I couldn't pass up the Adcom for under $100!

Now I need a transport.  Looking at the Gustard U12 and the Audio-GD DI-2014.  Amusing that I'm looking at a transport that cost 3x what the DAC cost.  lol

beerchug.gif
 Same day as I did the Basic II... Happy Easter huh? 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back