Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 5, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #3,706 of 6,500
IMO, the NFB-15 is one of the best values in its price range.  I think the DAC is a step up from the Modi (but I haven't heard the Modi 2) and the amp is solid.  I've never heard anything good about the Mavericks.  Schiit's entry level stuff if is a good value if you're in the States, but once you start paying huge shipping fees and import taxes, the value proposition goes down...depends how cheap you can get them for.

Other things to consider in the price range are the O2/ODAC,Fiio E07k/E09k, and Geek Out 1000.  The NFB-11 is also really nice for the price, tho it's a bit more than the other items mentioned.

Well, i would b pairing it with console and pc, so i need optical and usb.

I can get modi 2 uber at s$250 which is ard us$178.

Jus wondering, if paired with console via optical, would it degrade the sound if i used 2.0 or 2.1 speakers?

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,707 of 6,500
At least, since all Schiit stuff is made in USA, you don't have to pay duty taxes when importing to Canada. You only have to pay PST + GST.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #3,708 of 6,500
My Gungnir draws 20W power per hour it's on. That's 480W per day if left on 24/7. At 10 cents per Kilowatt from Met Ed here in Reading, PA, leaving my G on costs me 5 CENTS A DAY or $1.50 per month.

To balance this cost and the ecological catastrophe I create daily with my Gungnir, I park ONE spot farther away at work!!!!!!!

LOL!!!  
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #3,709 of 6,500
Well, i would b pairing it with console and pc, so i need optical and usb.

I can get modi 2 uber at s$250 which is ard us$178.

Jus wondering, if paired with console via optical, would it degrade the sound if i used 2.0 or 2.1 speakers?

None of the DAC's mentioned support more than 2 channels so there won't be any degradation in sound.  The only decent sounding option that will give you surround (short of the $3k Smyth Realiser) is the Creative X7.  You might want to check out MLE's Thread for more info about gaming setups.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #3,710 of 6,500

The Sonic Frontiers UltraAnalog and PCM1702 based DACs. The Monarchy UltraAnalog and PCM63 based DACs. Spectral SDR2000, PS Audio Ultralink, Adcom, Parasound, etc.

There are a lot of DACs from that "golden age" era that are still overpriced or not that great, i.e. the vintage Linn CD12 is still selling for way too much, but then again it was Linn's $20K flagship back in the day. The Linn Numerik (PCM63)/Karik could have been better. 

I think you may be right about the Linn Numerik. I was reading the Stereophile review from a long time ago and the descriptive language sounds like it's full of fluff. Talking about how it sounds very laid back and has such a smooth treble response, yet at the same time doesn't offer the upper mids or bass that the other DACs compared (DS Pro Basic II)

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #3,711 of 6,500
Yes I read this mini-review from Purrin. The only thing that was holding me was the price. It's about 400 $ CND more than the Bifrost Uber :/ But every member of this forum seems to agree that it worths the price premium. 

I won't be using the balanced output, though. But I have really good shielded RCA cables. But who knows, maybe in the futur my speaker amp will have balanced inputs... But I read that even with the unbalanced RCA output the sound is better than the Bifrost Uber.

I borrowed a Gungnir to try out the schiit DAC sound and fell in love. So I ordered a Bifrost Uber since it would match my Valhalla 2. Got it in and it just didn't have the same magic as the Gungnir and I'm using it single ended. The impact and intensity that I loved so much about the Gungnir was gone. So I sent the Bifrost back and got my own Gungnir. So yes, to me the Gungnir is definitely worth the price increase over the Bifrost uber.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #3,712 of 6,500
Thanks a lot for your input ! Will definitivéy go with the Gungnir... If I can stop freaking with the bill xD

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #3,713 of 6,500
Thanks a lot for your input ! Will definitivéy go with the Gungnir... If I can stop freaking with the bill xD

The Gungnir is a great DAC. If you lived in Ottawa I would say come over and have a listen. Very musical DAC and upgradeable to boot.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #3,714 of 6,500

Welcome to the wonderful world of Head-fi-congratulations,you made the right choice.
When I bought my Stax rig..,I went through about $8K,in one weekend-ouch!!,best investment I ever made.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #3,715 of 6,500
  Welcome to the wonderful world of Head-fi-congratulations,you made the right choice.
When I bought my Stax rig..,I went through about $8K,in one weekend-ouch!!,best investment I ever made.

Should have just bought a T2, Mike. 
tongue.gif
 Yggy will treat you well.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #3,716 of 6,500
  Should have just bought a T2, Mike. 
tongue.gif
 Yggy will treat you well.

Maybe that will be next..
Rumor has it,the Yggy,might???? be listed this week,
Say some prayers-OK?

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #3,717 of 6,500
Say some prayers-OK?

You can grab a Megatron that may be up for sale fairy soon. 

This week? No, they haven't even put the Yggdrasil through its mandatory 30 days on cycle.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #3,718 of 6,500

This week? No, they haven't even put the Yggdrasil through its mandatory 30 days on cycle.

Are you sure??
What's a Megatron??

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #3,719 of 6,500

Say some prayers-OK?

I'd go with the Galvatron instead. It's way stronger and totally insane. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #3,720 of 6,500
Quote:haywood
 and maybe it'd be worth Schitt implementing a back panel soft switch to put it in "standby" mode like other devices (e.g. tv) use

FTFY. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Schiit design mandates the switch goes on the back. enough said..... 
wink_face.gif

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back