Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Mar 16, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #3,031 of 6,500
It sounds like you do find the gungnir to be one of the better dacs available.
Which would the detailed one be and which would the smooth one be between the gungnir and the x-sabre? I haven't tried either yet

Gungnir is smoother but more aggressive and dynamic sounding. X-Sabre is the more detailed and laid-back sounding dac.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #3,032 of 6,500
I've never heard a Majik, but I had an Akurate DS and, until recently, a Klimax DS/1 -- decided to give tubes a try and picked up an Audio Research Ref DAC which has Ethernet streaming in addition to the usual digital connections.  

Like Purrin says, Linn has Ethernet streaming and gapless down, unlike PS Audio and that confounded Bridge!  I got rid of my PWD w/ Bridge and went to the Akurate because of the issues with the Bridge.  

Linn has a lot of support docs on their website and, yes, you can use the DS players wirelessly and can stream from your iThing too if you want.  

here's a link to the support pages where you can read how to set up the Majik, recommendations for a LAN, NAS, etc. http://www.linn.co.uk/support

If you like the Majik, don't, I repeat, don't listen to the Akurate...or the Klimax for that matter, or you'll be pawning stuff to increase your budget!  I made the mistake of listening to the Klimax when I owned the Akurate...my wallet hasn't quite forgiven me.

Oh, and yes, definitely buy used. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #3,033 of 6,500
@purrin

On your best amp for HD800 list, you mentioned that the amp circuitry of HDVA 600 / HDVD 800 have its own sound, and DACs don't make much different with this amp. To what extent do you think does the amp circuitry impose its own sound signature?

I recently get myself a Metrum Octave and, with the Senn amp I actually find very little (minuscule, actually) difference between the Metrum Octave and the Benchmark DAC1. I recall trying out various sources with the BHA-1 before and the difference between one DAC and another was not subtle.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #3,035 of 6,500
  I've never heard a Majik, but I had an Akurate DS and, until recently, a Klimax DS/1 -- decided to give tubes a try and picked up an Audio Research Ref DAC which has Ethernet streaming in addition to the usual digital connections.  

Like Purrin says, Linn has Ethernet streaming and gapless down, unlike PS Audio and that confounded Bridge!  I got rid of my PWD w/ Bridge and went to the Akurate because of the issues with the Bridge.  

Linn has a lot of support docs on their website and, yes, you can use the DS players wirelessly and can stream from your iThing too if you want.  

here's a link to the support pages where you can read how to set up the Majik, recommendations for a LAN, NAS, etc. http://www.linn.co.uk/support

If you like the Majik, don't, I repeat, don't listen to the Akurate...or the Klimax for that matter, or you'll be pawning stuff to increase your budget!  I made the mistake of listening to the Klimax when I owned the Akurate...my wallet hasn't quite forgiven me.

Oh, and yes, definitely buy used. 

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm already doing everything I can to be able to afford the Majik DS, wanting a klimax or akurate would be a disaster for me haha!

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #3,036 of 6,500

Nice! You got Theta's budget PCM67 one-bit based solution. I owned the Theta Cobalt back in the day which used the same chip and opamps, but the Cobalt lacked the custom Theta DSP and probably better power supplies of the Progeny. The Cobalt was a super-budget solution that was a little bit better than the mid-model Sony ES players. I'm betting what you got might be better sounding than the Gungnir.

This. As long as you're staying single-ended, it's a pretty incredible piece of kit. I use one of those with my Project Ember + Paradox/HD600. Make sure that you get a decent USB to Coax converter for it - Gustard U12 works well, a Ciunas Converter would be better still. 

Don't run it off of Macbook or motherboard toslink. Seriously. Just don't. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #3,037 of 6,500
How do you comment on the DENON DA300 and Emotiva DC-1?

In USA, they are at the same price of $499, but the DENON seems to have an atrracting technology AL32 that have been used in their top devices.

Very confused and could not decide which to buy...

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #3,039 of 6,500

In USA, they are at the same price of $499, but the DENON seems to have an atrracting technology AL32 that have been used in their top devices.

No idea on AL32. It might be a legit custom DSP / digital filter that does wonders or it might not matter. I'm a bit hesistant because of the BB1795 DAC chip (not a good sounding chip) and also because Denon hasn't made anything good sounding in a decade. They make crap integrated amps and bluray players for sale at Best Buy now. As for the DC-1, I don't think I've heard an AD1955 implementation that I did not like.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #3,040 of 6,500
  @purrin

On your best amp for HD800 list, you mentioned that the amp circuitry of HDVA 600 / HDVD 800 have its own sound, and DACs don't make much different with this amp. To what extent do you think does the amp circuitry impose its own sound signature?

I recently get myself a Metrum Octave and, with the Senn amp I actually find very little (minuscule, actually) difference between the Metrum Octave and the Benchmark DAC1. I recall trying out various sources with the BHA-1 before and the difference between one DAC and another was not subtle.

The answer to a very large extent. I couldn't even tell much of a difference between my iPhone, Sony Walkman X out, and the HDVD800's internal DAC. The Metrum Octave vs. Benchmark on a good setup should sound very very different, even on modest amps and headphones.

The headphone circuit in the HDVx units is based on an TI headamp chip that has a tendency of making everything laid-back sounding at best, or flat and boring, at worst (examples would Hi-Fi-M8, PHA-1, etc.). The chip makes decent power, especially in balanced bridged configuration where it also helps with imaging precision. The nature of the chip's sound and high output impedance makes it a good match for the HD800 and HD6x0. The chip imparts a certain kind of stamp on the sound. Hard to describe. Sort of an enforced timbre. Pleasant and forgiving.

The BHA-1 (provided that you don't let it get hot) is a much more transparent amp. If you plan on rolling DACs, avoid the HDVx units from Senn. However, I think the HDVx solutions are worthy of consideration if you just want something that works with the HD800 and don't care about getting the most from the headphone. HDVx amps suck on most other headphones, especially orthos.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #3,041 of 6,500

No idea on AL32. It might be a legit custom DSP / digital filter that does wonders or it might not matter. I'm a bit hesistant because of the BB1795 DAC chip (not a good sounding chip) and also because Denon hasn't made anything good sounding in a decade. They make crap integrated amps and bluray players for sale at Best Buy now. As for the DC-1, I don't think I've heard an AD1955 implementation that I did not like.

Thanks for reply.

So you are absolutely prefer Emotiva to DENON.

Hmmmm...May turn to Emotiva.

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #3,042 of 6,500
Ok, my turn to rub the tummy of Purrin Budda and ask for a ranking/ recommendation without including Yggy:

current Gungnir + Wyrd
BiFrost Uber USB gen 2 + Wyrd
BiFrost Uber USB gen 1 + Wyrd
Modi 2 Uber + Wyrd

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #3,043 of 6,500

The answer to a very large extent. I couldn't even tell much of a difference between my iPhone, Sony Walkman X out, and the HDVD800's internal DAC. The Metrum Octave vs. Benchmark on a good setup should sound very very different, even on modest amps and headphones.

The headphone circuit in the HDVx units is based on an TI headamp chip that has a tendency of making everything laid-back sounding at best, or flat and boring, at worst (examples would Hi-Fi-M8, PHA-1, etc.). The chip makes decent power, especially in balanced bridged configuration where it also helps with imaging precision. The nature of the chip's sound and high output impedance makes it a good match for the HD800 and HD6x0. The chip imparts a certain kind of stamp on the sound. Hard to describe. Sort of an enforced timbre. Pleasant and forgiving.

The BHA-1 (provided that you don't let it get hot) is a much more transparent amp. If you plan on rolling DACs, avoid the HDVx units from Senn. However, I think the HDVx solutions are worthy of consideration if you just want something that works with the HD800 and don't care about getting the most from the headphone. HDVx amps suck on most other headphones, especially orthos.

I guess I need to get the BHA-1 as well then. And I'm guessing the BHA-1 with the Metrum Octave would be a decent match for the HD800? Might as well keep the Benchmark DAC1 for the HDVA600 as it won't make much of a difference anyway regarding what DAC I use with the HDVA600.

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #3,044 of 6,500
Ok, my turn to rub the tummy of Purrin Budda and ask for a ranking/ recommendation without including Yggy:

current Gungnir + Wyrd
BiFrost Uber USB gen 2 + Wyrd
BiFrost Uber USB gen 1 + Wyrd
Modi 2 Uber + Wyrd

Get the Modi 2U and save your money until you can afford the Yggy.

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #3,045 of 6,500
Get the Modi 2U and save your money until you can afford the Yggy.

Indeed, solid advice.
Except I have no rack space, speakers, nor nuclear power plant for 24x7 operation of the Yggy yoga master DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back