1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by purrin, Dec 5, 2013.
First

Back
407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416
418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427
Next

Last
  1. haywood
    The cool thing is your gungnir is upgradable and if rumors are right that should be really relevant in the not-so-distant future.

2. Thenewguy007
    Any chance you guys can recommend a portable DAC (or a AMP/DAC) for objectively good soundstage?

I just noticed that I lug around my heavy desktop amp from room to room for whatever device I need.

With another large & heavy DAC, it would be very impractical & a smaller portable combo would be nice.

3. nicolo
    The Geek Out V2 or Geek Out V2+ (inbuilt battery)

4. Dalgas
    Sounds very interesting - have you heard what kind of upgrade it should be? The fact that gungnir is upgradable was one reason why I chose it. That and the ad-ons like Wyrd and Loki. All in all Schiit are highly flexible gear. 

5. DecentLevi
    Just want to sort out a couple things on Schiit products recently mentioned:

The Wyrd is a USB signal enhancer that is compatible to possibly improve any DAC, and while it makes a noticeable improvement on the Modi 1 (speaking from direct experience), it's not necessary to be used with the Modi 2 which already has an improved USB section implemented. Loki is a separate DAC rather than and add-on, and is mainly for DSD (SACD type) codecs.

6. Hansotek
    Sorry to have to correct you here, but most of what you just said is flat-out wrong. Wyrd can absolutely have an effect on Modi 2 or any of the other higher-end DACs. Also, what you said about Loki is totally off. It IS an add-on component. You can use Loki to add DSD to any DAC. It can be used as a standalone DAC in a pinch, but you'll need to be using a player that can convert PCM to DSD to use Loki without a separate DAC.

7. Solude

Nothing he said was wrong.  Get yourself a dictionary and you'll see why.

8. Hansotek
    To say "Loki is a separate DAC, not an add-on" is tremendously misleading, at best. If you don't believe me, go read the product page. Seriously.

Reading it again, I may have misinterpreted the other part on Modi 2 and Wyrd a little bit, and if so, that's on me, and I'm sorry. I took it to mean that USB 2.0 and Wyrd were solving the same problems, which they are not. Thus, I tried to stop the factual error before it led somebody to make a misinformed buying decision. I realize now that's probably not what he meant by that statement.

9. Solude
    Loki is a DSD only DAC that has an RCA passthrough.  It is as much an add-on as a PCM only DAC would be.  Which is to say... not.  There are actually a lot of DSD only DACs now that it is the new shiny.  The Loki just happens to be very inexpensive in comparison from a company that couldn't care less about DSD.

10. Hansotek
    Ugh. Whatever. This is the problem with people making vague statements, they're open to too much interpretation/misinterpretation. Let's mercy kill this godawful unproductive debate. It's over.

Argo Duck likes this.
  11. Ableza
    Loki is a shape-shifter and a trickster.  Trust him at your peril.

12. wink
    The Loki is NOT to be used without rune stones to ward off any skullduggery.

13. auvgeek
    I'd buy this and a Gustard U12 DDC. http://www.head-fi.org/t/774020/parasound-d-ac-1100-hd-vintage-r2r-dac-upgraded-pcm63-k-grade-24-48khz

Just my $0.02.
    EDIT Or this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/774397/fs-sonic-frontiers-anthem-transdac-jk-ci-nas-converter

But I haven't heard any; just done enough research that I think they'd be solid options in that price range. I'm loving my Theta Basic IIIa with U12. (But still lusting after a Tanly DDC.)

14. lukeap69
  15. Jozurr
    What would be the cheapest R2R dac to buy excluding the vintage DACs? (Which has USB input)

First

Back
407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416
418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427
Next

Last