Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Jun 3, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #5,626 of 6,500
Originally Posted by prot

Good catch. That funny altmann guy also sells a few multibit DAC contraptions http://www.mother-of-tone.com/creation.htm ... you may be surprised by the price
smily_headphones1.gif

A real bargain
blink.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #5,628 of 6,500
For the record, some of us wanted to come read this thread because the OP took a lot of time and effort to catalog his experiences in one place on a large number of devices that the average forum user doesn't have access to.
He's entitled to his opinion just as much as people who say DSD sucks, CD sucks compared to vinyl, etc.
If you don't want to hear what he has to say or post... DON'T READ OR POST IN THIS THREAD.
If you disagree with his conclusions, make a post and move along. No need to repost the same

I think it's best to remove it. Blanket statement sucks. Other headfiers agree ?

No person is being insulted. Last I checked, Delta Sigma DACs don't have feelings. You're not correcting a social injustice.
Coming soon to a theater near you: Do Delta-Sigma DACs deam of electric sheep?

I'm not an EE, but from what I understand (and I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong on this), the stuff you're saying is in the digital filtering process (oversampling) to remove the noise, not in the DAC chip itself, although I understand that the DAC chip always have stock standard digital filters. This is why I'm saying the culprit is the digital filter process (to remove the noise), not the D-S DAC chip or digital to analogue conversion process itself that went before.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. It has been duly noted.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #5,629 of 6,500
  He's entitled to his opinion just as much as people who say DSD sucks, CD sucks compared to vinyl, etc.
If you don't want to hear what he has to say or post... DON'T READ OR POST IN THIS THREAD.
If you disagree with his conclusions, make a post and move along. No need to repost the same

No person is being insulted. Last I checked, Delta Sigma DACs don't have feelings. You're not correcting a social injustice.
Coming soon to a theater near you: Do Delta-Sigma DACs deam of electric sheep?

Thanks for sharing your opinion. It has been duly noted.

Isn't it a fact? And this?--Yggy used the AD R2R DAC chip, because they want to use that old digital filter designed only for an R2R chip. Non-standard/common digital filters are proprietary=expensive.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #5,632 of 6,500
Lots of TDA chips for little money
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8X-TDA1543-parallel-audio-Hifi-DAC-Decoder-Coaxial-optical-fiber-USB-input-/251890735130

I've never heard (read) anything good about the 1543; when they're in multiples, it just emphasises the chips flawed, mid-centric characteristics. So I've been told.
It's a shame! 
blink.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #5,634 of 6,500

I've been on HF 8 years now, and I didn't own a single Schiit product until 2015. A few months ago, it seemed the company had stabilized and the products matured enough (the second gen products) that I was willing to take a leap of faith.

Given the fairly liberal return policy, I would call it a calculated risk more than a leap of faith.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #5,635 of 6,500

Are you sure? Seems a very strange choice for a portable player, a DAC which takes 250mW or so. What battery life does he get? If I were Charles I'd have chosen TDA1545A - a far superior DAC at a much lower power level.

Yes, from email exchanges with him at the time.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #5,637 of 6,500
I was asking me this question today...

Is Schiit would do any speaker amplifier in the futur ? 

That would be very nice!!! I simply love my Gungnir and Asgard 2, but while headphones are great, sometimes I want to listen my music through my speaker setup ! And my setup lack a good power amplifier. I would have full confidence in buying a speaker amplifier from Schiit!

Well that was just a parenthesis to the thread :p 

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #5,638 of 6,500
  I was asking me this question today...

Is Schiit would do any speaker amplifier in the futur ? 

That would be very nice!!! I simply love my Gungnir and Asgard 2, but while headphones are great, sometimes I want to listen my music through my speaker setup ! And my setup lack a good power amplifier. I would have full confidence in buying a speaker amplifier from Schiit!

Well that was just a parenthesis to the thread :p 

Well, you could try this:

http://schiit.com/products/ragnarok

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #5,639 of 6,500
Well, I saw it, but it's kinda pricey... lol. I thought they could make something in the sub-1000$.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #5,640 of 6,500
  Well, I saw it, but it's kinda pricey... lol. I thought they could make something in the sub-1000$.

Honestly going by what you have listed in your sig I'd say your better off buying new Speakers than a new Power Amp.  You'll get a better sonic improvement for your dollar.  That however does depend on the room your in to some degree

That being said I really love Parasound's Stereo Power Amps.  The A23 is ~1000 and will easily drive what you have.  I recently demo'd an A21 and loved it - will be picking one up as soon as I can. 

Both the Rag and an A23 would be very overkill for those speakers though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back