1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by purrin, Dec 5, 2013.
First

Back
254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263
265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274
Next

Last
  1. auvgeek

Some experienced people in the Gustard thread who have heard both have stated preferences for the Gustard X12 over the Bifrost (and Gungnir). The X12 is currently on massdrop for $450 shipped to USA. Just a thought.

Stillhart likes this.
  2. Stillhart
    I'm sure the Bifrost is a fine DAC, but it's not exactly comparable to the NFB-28.  For very little extra cost, you get DSD, XLR outputs, and a 8W/channel fully balanced amp.  What makes the NFB-28 able to punch above its price is giving you everything you could want while saving cost by using a single unit.

See it works both ways because it's not apples to apples.  [​IMG]  

3. hodgjy
    [​IMG]

4. hodgjy
    I've been reading a lot of good things about Gustard, and they intrigue me. I'm waiting for the dust to settle just to see if it's another case of FOTM or if there's really something there.

5. Stillhart

@conquerator2 had one and said the sound sig was between the NFB-7 and the Gungnir.  He liked it a lot, but sold it when he won the Theta.  I'm sure he can chime in some more...

6. estreeter
    At the risk of parroting purrin (gotta love a little onomatopoeia this early in the day) and a few others, how many of us would have been thrilled stupid to be able to put together a VFM rig like this when we first started in this crazy hobby:

Wyrd -> Modi2 Uber -> Vali

Candidate phones: Fidelio X1/X2, Nad HP50, Oppo PM-3 and the list goes on. The golden age is upon us, people  :D

7. BeyerMonster
    Ripping people off at those prices is serious business.

8. drfindley

Couldn't agree more. With a more expensive setup with a varied set of DACs, AMPs and cans it's shocking how fantastic the Wyrd -> Modi 2 Uber -> Vali -> Oppo PM-3 is. We used to pay thousands for that sound.

9. wahsmoh

Hehe or score something vintage that once cost over $1000 [​IMG]

10. Stillhart

There's another Adcom GDA-600 for $150 up right now.  Mine will be arriving Monday so I can give some impressions with plenty of time to spare before the auction ends.  I suspect it won't really come alive until I do some of the recommended mods, tho...

11. SoupRKnowva

Have you ever personally compared the bifrost uber to the gungnir single ended?

12. Sonic Defender Contributor

Well, people that are that stupid might hurt themselves and buy guns or knives that get them so maybe it is better people take their money this way?

13. reddog
    +1 lol. One way to partially disarm the mob called society.:D

14. purrin

That's the way to do it. Now don't turn it off, ever.

15. Sonic Defender Contributor

Answered my own question, made a mistake and just now realized it. My bad.

First

Back
254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263
265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274
Next

Last