1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by purrin, Dec 5, 2013.
First

Back
240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249
251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260
Next

Last
  1. GoldfishX
    I'm somewhat of a fan of the all-in-one design. I run a Sony HAP-S1 in my main setup. The achilles heel of the thing is that it's locked into using the onboard DAC...It would be ideal if I could lineout to another DAC. Onboard, it uses the PCM1794 or 1795. Sounds fine, but hardly safe from the upgrade bug. I'm planning to audition an Aries with the DAC's I have and, if that works out, start moving towards an Aries/Yggy frontend.

So the delay/price tag of the Yggy isn't bothering me right now. lol

2. bmichels

well, as for the DAC, I am testing right now the ARM DP-777 SE and, If I finally do not kept it, I will look into other options like the Total DAC, the next Chord "secret" Project xxxx, and also the... Yggdrasil

But, I stil need a good music server.  So I am hesitating between some Windows based servers like this CAT or a Baetis or...some more safe options like Aurender, Aries, Antipode...

NOTE: I believe that the CAT includes in it's price the 2 external Teddy Pardo power supply.

CAD-CAT2teddyPardopowersupply.jpg

but the Baetis is another (better known) Windows's based server alternative...

BaetisXR3.jpg

3. 7ryder
    And here's a recent review of the Linn Sondek CD12.  Short version, not as good as the original reviews made it out to be http://hifi-advice.com/Linn-CD12-review.html

4. 7ryder
    +1  I was just going to point him in this direction

5. conquerator2
    I'd be interested in that... Because I just scored the Basic II for $400 [​IMG]

Excited! [​IMG]

6. wahsmoh
    WOW Nice one!!! that is basically a balanced Progeny. 2x PCM67 + 2x Motorola DSP56001. Nice score!

7. conquerator2
    Yep, excited man!
    After barely missing a non-A Progeny on Ebay [for a bit more!], ,I feel redemption [​IMG].
    Not sure if it is the BAL version [apparently it was optional. I've inquired to the seller. I wasn't sure from the pics.] but I don't care all that much. 2x PCM and DSPs are still in there.
    It is also the non-A version, and it has an AES/EBU input instead of the BNC... This model never had a toslink input, regardless. Guy says it is an original piece, so I guess you could choose/customize that, perhaps?
    Everything seems legit and the guy seems to have taken good care of it... Hopefully it lasts!
    No idea, but it seems very promising. [​IMG]
    Certainly hyped! Cost me less than my previous DAC [the Gustard X12, which was VERY good arguably, but different technology].

8. snip3r77
    http://www.thetadigital.com/legacy_products.shtml#fully_balanced_differential_layout

Which DAC you got ? Which one should one aim for ? Thanks

9. conquerator2
    http://www.thetadigital.com/legacy_products.shtml#basic_ii
    That's the one I got. But honestly, I think anything is worth a try... [​IMG] 

And happy Easter everyone! [​IMG]

10. estreeter

Hi Amos,

Do you have a link to this at 400USD - perhaps it went up after they decided it had a 'fever five drill reputation' : arguably the last thing I want in a DAC but clearly a selling point for some  :wink:

http://www.cart100.com/Product/15139446028/Marshal_TeraDak_fourth_version_of_the_PC/

Thanks 

11. mhamel

10,000 pounds for a Windows PC in a fancy case seems absurdly overpriced to me.

You can DIY that including a fancy custom case for a fraction of the cost and it will be every bit as good, including top of the line/boutique components and all the customizing/tweaks you'd want. 

-Mike

12. Stillhart
    Okay well I just snagged an Adcom GDA-600 for a song.  I'm sure it's no Theta, but for the price, it's one way to try vintage R2R on the cheap...

AustinValentine likes this.
  13. mikek200
    Congradulations,Stillhart ,-use it in good health.

Was that the one on e-bay?-I looked at that last night.?

I'm now looking at the 700..its got XLR connections..
    I may try to get it.?????

Mike

14. conquerator2
    [​IMG] Same day as I did the Basic II... Happy Easter huh? [​IMG]

15. Stillhart

Nope, this one was posted this morning.  The one last night was $175 before shipping and this one was $98.  Also sold by Stereo Exchange in NYC, so trustworthy seller.

I was definitely looking at the 700 tho.  I've got my eye on a few units right now, but I couldn't pass up the Adcom for under $100!

Now I need a transport.  Looking at the Gustard U12 and the Audio-GD DI-2014.  Amusing that I'm looking at a transport that cost 3x what the DAC cost.  lol

[​IMG]

First

Back
240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249
251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260
Next

Last