1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by purrin, Dec 5, 2013.
First

Back
204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213
215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224
Next

Last
  1. wahsmoh
    Okay I just got around to listening to the Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A and I decided to do S/PDIF pass through from my HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard of pure PCM to the toslink input of the DS Pro Progeny.

I am going to say right now off of first impressions,

HOLY !@$! this is like the Bifrost Uber on steroids..

I mean the Bifrost Uber gets close to sounding "analog" but now I really see what people are talking about when they refer to this "warm analog" sound with serious balls in the bass department that a lot of these new DACs wish they could be.

WOW first thing came to mind was spacious soundstage, the Bifrost Uber isn't quite there. Also, I am going to say right now this is like the Bifrost Uber without the slight infection of "digititis" in the highs and has way more cajones in the bass region. <--Definitely NOT neutral but way more enjoyable.. Looks like this is going my main rig for redbook audio cause it sounds better than the Bifrost Uber [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I haven't even tested out the coaxial input but will when I get my Peachtree T1.. what a major score at $276 + free shipping

IMG_4161.jpg

BTW here's a list of what I have listened to so far, don't make fun of me [​IMG]
    (all are FLAC or PCM 16/44)
    David Bowie - China Girl, Let's Dance
    Sublime - Pawn Shop
    Def Leppard - Hysteria
    Trentemoller - Le Champagne
    Shiba San - Okay
    Queen - Somebody to Love
    Death Cab for Cutie - Soul Meets Body, I Will Possess Your Heart
    Disclosure - Latch
    Nu Shooz - Goin' Thru the Motions
    Cocteau Twins - Sugar Hiccup
    Van Halen - Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love
    Deadmau5 ft. Kaskade - I Remember
    Led Zeppelin - Good Times, Bad Times
    Fleetwood Mac - Dreams, Say You Love Me

playing new music through a piece of equipment made in 1994 and enjoying it more than something from circa 2010 is like telling people from the past that the future is actually very scary and includes boatloads of D-S chips & digital nasties [​IMG]

note to Mike Moffat: the Bifrost Uber is not superior to the Theta DACs of yesteryear.. now I see why you are coming out with the Yggdrasil. Maybe you had a change of heart [​IMG] 

OH and did I mention? this thing kicks @#%$in @$$ for $276

last edit:: I'm in music heaven.. goodnight Head-fi I could care less if the Yggdrasil came out today or tomorrow just let me get intoxicated by the sounds of the DS Pro Progeny and spare it lives another 20 years given it looks like it's brand new with no nicks or scratches

2. conquerator2

I am not sure what answer you'll get in an anti-Sabre thread :D
    Anyway, I should get the X12 today or tomorrow. It is supposedly one of the most analogue and smoothest sounding Sabres.
    It is not 1000$+ but still, I have high hopes :)
    There is also the audio-gd DAC19

3. Sonic Defender Contributor

I know brother really I do, but add 13% tax on top of that figure as in Ontario that is what we pay so it will be creeping above $3000 toward 4K easily. And yes, at that weight the shipping will be at least another $100 I'm sure, hell the Asgard 2 was about $35 if I remember correctly so it is indeed almost $4k. I really want the Yggy, but not that much, at least not now so I really do want to stay at about 2K Canadian. Surely I can improve a little on the Gungnir for that price point? Maybe not.

4. nicolo
    If the Yggdrasil is as good as people on this thread are making out, you might as well sell your Gungnir to finance it.

5. prot

The DACs are never as good as the people :D

Argo Duck likes this.
  6. prot

The EE Minimax Plus is a pretty smooth sabre. Tube output too, you can color the sound as you wish. Prolly about $7-800 2nd hand nowadays. Just check the dedicated thread for extra info.

7. borrego
    Or just use a Tube VST plug-in which you can roll tube with a simple mouse click.

tube.jpg

8. auvgeek
    Maybe consider the new Gustard X20 that's supposed to be released in a limited run around May timeframe? Pricing hasn't been released yet, but I'm guessing it will be in your budget. Check the general Gustard thread in the Amp forum for more info. The X20 uses the Sabre chip, but so does the X12, which isn't supposed to be harsh. Nobody has heard the X20, though, and I haven't heard the X12 so I'm just throwing out an option, not speaking from experience.

9. thegunner100
    Haven't heard any Thetas, but my Parasound D/AC-1100 sounds better than my Gungnir in most areas. I probably won't be getting a Yggy anytime soon, but I can't wait for some trickle down technology that will bring the Gungnir up to the Parasound's level or above. 

10. auvgeek
    This is probably a dumb question, but I searched a bit and didn't see an answer. I am currently using my Macbook Pro as the source (playing Spotify on "Extreme" setting). The laptop features a mini-optical jack so I am using a cheap mini-Toslink to Toslink cable to connect the laptop and DAC. I think the optical out sounds better than the USB on my older Audio-gd DAC. Is this a decent way to connect an BiFrostUber or older Theta, or will I see dramatic improvement if I spring for a $150-$200 USB converter (likely either the Gustard U12 or Schiit Gen 2/3 USB)? I am unlikely to move away from my computer as the source.

11. purrin

My advice is to wait a few months. Don't do anything. Don't buy anything. Don't sell anything.

12. Tuco1965
    Sounds like something is coming.

13. jexby

oh lordy.  an-ti-ci-pation!
    [​IMG]

14. mhamel

Check out the Dangerous Source.

15. purrin

It's true that older USB tends to suck. However, the newer USB implementations Schiit's Gen2, XMOS, etc. are pretty good sounding. If you want to try an older Theta, go for the cheap Gustard.

I don't think the differences will be dramatic. But this is a hobby where people are willing to pay for small incremental improvements

First

Back
204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213
215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224
Next

Last