Thought I knew which cans I wanted. But now I'm not sure. Help!
Mar 14, 2006 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Pibborando

500+ Head-Fier
So, I got $200 to play with, and I decided to look for some new headphones. I realized that I would need a soundcard in my computer to get the most out of whatever headphones I ended up getting, so $90 is going into the X-Fi XtremeMusic (yes, I game, so I need the EAX performance).

That leaves $110 for cans, and I though I had decided on which ones. But after reading a lot of threads about various other cans in the price-range, now I'm torn.

I was originally set on the Sennheiser HD 555s. But now, cans like the AKG K501, or K81 DJ, or the ATH-A500 have caught my interest. I should specify what I am looking for, so you all can help me finalize my decision:

1) Comfort - This is VERY important to me, because I hate the way my AHS-502s dig into my ears after less than an hour of wearing them. I wear glasses, so I need circumaural to avoid pressing my glasses into my head.

2) Positioning - Since I game, sound positioning is crucial. The soundcard should take care of this, but I would like headphones with a pretty large soundstage.

3) Performance in a wide variety of music genres - This might be the tricky part. I listen to electronica, new-age, d&b, breakbeat, trance, goa, rock, metal, jazz, orchestral and other genres, so I need cans that can handle it all.

I thought the 555s would be perfect, but then I kept hearing people talk about how they were "laid back" which I suppose wouldn't suit hard rock, or driving trance music very well. But comming from mediocre headphones, would I even notice that disadvantage?

I don't really care about open or closed, just which ever sounds better (I know better is a very subjective term), so please let me know if you've compaired any of those cans I mentioned in this price-range, or if you can suggest others which I didn't list.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 21
Scratch the K501's. They NEED an amp and they aren't anywhere close to rock cans. Scratch the DTX900 if you live in the U.S. I think they're only available in Europe. The HD555's are comfortable, have good positioning and excel at a wide variety of genres. They match up with your needs perfectly. I have the 595 (bigger brother of the 555) and I will say it is indeed a bit laid back for hard rock. Then again I'm used to Grados ...don't look into them, they aren't gamer cans and they lack comfort.

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon
Scratch the DTX900 if you live in the U.S. I think they're only available in Europe.

Only available in Europe eh...

So, it looks like the HD 555s will be just fine, but are the DTX-900s more exciting? I'm kind of put off by this "laid back" aspect.

Also, the 900s look a bit more portable, which I should have stated before, because I want to be able to wear these out in public.

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando
Only available in Europe eh...

...let's see you try and find another U.S. distributor
wink.gif
Seriously though, here's a pretty good review http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78470

EDIT: Use the search feature on these forums. There's 3 pages worth of threads to go over on the DTX900.

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon
Seriously though, here's a pretty good review http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78470

Heh. That's the exact review I read that got me interested in the 900s.

I'll take a look at some more opinions.

Edit: Well, I'm starting to like the ATH-AD700s more and more. They sound like quallity cans and I dig the style.

Ohhh... yeah.

athad700ll2mk.jpg

Edit 2: Well, it seems no one can make up their minds about the ADs. But from what I've heard, they sound like what I'm looking for.

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 21
Why do things have to be so complicated?
frown.gif

From reading some more about the AD700s, it seems like their bass might not be strong enough for heavier music.

If anyone can offer some insight, I would like to know how it compairs to the lower end Altec Lansing headphones, because I have the AHS-502s, and I find the bass on them to be pretty adequate.

The A700s might be a possibility...

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 21
Ahhh!! More possibilities.

Ok, well, I'll just narrow it down to the ATH-A700s and the K240Ss. Of course, the 240s are around $90, while the A700s are more like $120.

Can anyone compare the two?

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 21
You'd probably be better off with the A500. It's great for gaming and trance because of its soundstage and strong bass.

I've no first-hand experience with the AKGs, but from what I can remember in past research, they need an amp to really sound their best.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 21
Ok. Thanks guys. I wasn't sure whether the A700s were a huge improvement over the A500s, but after reading many possitive reviews, I probably won't care. And my wallet will thank me.

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma
You'd probably be better off with the A500. It's great for gaming and trance because of its soundstage and strong bass.

I've no first-hand experience with the AKGs, but from what I can remember in past research, they need an amp to really sound their best.

Well, they sounded excellent straight out of my Zen Micro. I'm going back to Spearit Sound on Thursday to try them out again, and possibly buy them, and this time I'm gunna bring my CMoy.

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando
Why do things have to be so complicated?
frown.gif

From reading some more about the AD700s, it seems like their bass might not be strong enough for heavier music.

If anyone can offer some insight, I would like to know how it compairs to the lower end Altec Lansing headphones, because I have the AHS-502s, and I find the bass on them to be pretty adequate.

The A700s might be a possibility...

Dont worry at all. Whenever you get your new audiophile headphone. But atleast A500 or better can's, then I am sure you"ll forget AHS-502s direct from out of the box.
580smile.gif
And I dont think AD700's can't shake your head better then AHS-502.

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 21
Thanks. I've decided on the A500s.

I like the fact that they're closed, so I can wear them at noisy LANs or even just at my computer (my PC sounds kind of like a vacuum cleaner). I also like that people say the bass is quite deep. I'm sure some good techno like The Prodigy or VNV Nation will make my head quake.
basshead.gif

And they're right in my price range, so... I'm gonna take the plunge.

Thanks again!
biggrin.gif

Edit: Oh it's so sexy.

12517ata5004vw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back