Those who have Lavry DA10
Apr 12, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #16 of 20
You know what forgot everything I said. I've been listening to my Lavry out through my Gilmore Lite all day. I think what I thought was slur before was merely slightly recessed highs due to far more bass and midrange presence.

After 4 hours of DA10->Gilmore->ER4s listening, I went back to DA10->Headphone jack->ER4s.

The amp makes a *huge* difference. Now I need another one for home.
frown.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #17 of 20
The Gilmore Lite makes a huge difference over the Lavry's built in headphone amp? I haven't done a side by side comparison, but from what I remember of the Lite that is surprising.

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
The Gilmore Lite makes a huge difference over the Lavry's built in headphone amp? I haven't done a side by side comparison, but from what I remember of the Lite that is surprising.

At a meet, a G-Lite owner tried comparing it with the Lavry and found them very close, as did I. The Gilmore had a slightly more noticeable treble, whether it was the result of detail, grain, coloration (or lack thereof) I did not have the time to discern.

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 20
Sounds about right to me. I know that the Dynalo I had was, if anything, just a bit harsher than the Lavry. From what I remember of the HeadAmp offerings they are a bit more smooth so I'd expect them to be rather close.

Apr 13, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Sounds about right to me. I know that the Dynalo I had was, if anything, just a bit harsher than the Lavry. From what I remember of the HeadAmp offerings they are a bit more smooth so I'd expect them to be rather close.

Well, I find the XLRs somewhat more resolving in the highs than the headphone out, and as such the GL faithfully reproduces it, without running out of steam as the XLRs straight out to headphones tends to do (I realize now, in comparison).

The main difference between XLR->Headphones and XLR->GL->Headphones is in the bass and low-midrange dept., I find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back