Those who have Lavry DA10
Apr 6, 2006 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BrianS

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 6, 2004
Posts
868
Likes
10
Who has compared a separate amp singleended to the xlr out directly to headphones?
 
Apr 6, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 20

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
13,179
Likes
23
You and I have spoken a bit about this... but although this isn't exact as my comparisons are XLR Zu versus single Senn stock (with the memory of the single Zu before re-termination)- I put the Lavry output overall over the RudiStor NX-01, Emmeline SR-71 and Eddie Current EC-01 (only amps I have around). This also includes the Lavry headphone jack with the HD650 stock or HF-1. The Lavrys balanced output for high impedance phones and headphone jack for low, is so good it's messed up my analysis of stand alone amps. I want to do a Singlepower MPX3 comparison soon, but right now the Lavrys price seems a steal.
 
Apr 6, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 20

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
10,244
Likes
16
Hey blessingx... our setups are looking pretty similar right now.
biggrin.gif


I also look forward to the comparison with one of Mikhails amps. I can't wait to hook my Lavry up to an SDS-XLR at the National meet.
340smile.gif
 
Apr 6, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 20

roy_jones

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 29, 2005
Posts
962
Likes
54
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
You and I have spoken a bit about this... but although this isn't exact as my comparisons are XLR Zu versus single Senn stock (with the memory of the single Zu before re-termination)- I put the Lavry output overall over the RudiStor NX-01, Emmeline SR-71 and Eddie Current EC-01 (only amps I have around). This also includes the Lavry headphone jack with the HD650 stock or HF-1. The Lavrys balanced output for high impedance phones and headphone jack for low, is so good it's messed up my analysis of stand alone amps. I want to do a Singlepower MPX3 comparison soon, but right now the Lavrys price seems a steal.


God, I can't hear this. And the worst part is, I know it's true, having heard Philodox's setup.

The only question I've got about the Lavry, is that I don't have a clear enough idea of the quality it's DAC (separated from it's headphone outputs), with other DAC's in that price range.

I'm not saying it's not good...just that I don't have a relative feel for it, as far as where it stands in quality comparisons to other DACs on the spectrum.
 
Apr 6, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 20

BrianS

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 6, 2004
Posts
868
Likes
10
Well I can atleast say I definitely prefer the MPX3 to the headphone out on the lavry. I just want to compare that with a balanced cable straight from the lavry.
 
Apr 6, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 20

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
10,244
Likes
16
Yeah, the headphone out is ideal for low impedance headphones really... I would imagine your Sennheisers would do better out of the balanced output.
wink.gif
 
Apr 6, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 20

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
13,179
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Hey blessingx... our setups are looking pretty similar right now.
biggrin.gif



Yep I'm following right behind so don't get too crazy.
wink.gif


A great deal of this is personal preference, but the output is so strong it's only blurring/muffling adding one of the amps I mentioned. Plus I have to admit I'm digging not worring about ICs.

roy_jones as for the DAC, that's what the audio community is so excited about. Powering headphones is just icing on the cake for us here.
 
Apr 7, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 20

Vic

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Posts
668
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
Well I can atleast say I definitely prefer the MPX3 to the headphone out on the lavry. I just want to compare that with a balanced cable straight from the lavry.


Well. not surpised at all!
If the Lavry HP jack could compete with one of the best tube amps around for its price and its small chassis, I would buy one for each room in my house plus one for the office
biggrin.gif
 
Apr 9, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 20

Alwayswantmore

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Posts
1,271
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
i placed an order for a balanced equinox


Congrats Brian! Keep us posted on your impressions.
 
Apr 11, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 20

nightfire

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Posts
559
Likes
0
Hey guys.. I've run my DA10 into my Gilmore Lite via an XLR->RCA DIY cable (cheapie; total cost $35) and I agree with others; the output merely blurs a tad. This is through my Etys.

It's frustrating because I found the onboard headphone jack just a little too laid back. It's just too damned soft and smooth..
confused.gif


So for now I run the XLRs straight out to a 1/4" jack, but while it's sharper, it lacks presence.

I'm not sure what to try next.
 
Apr 11, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 20

Ori

Member of the Trade: Oritek Audio
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Posts
674
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfire
So for now I run the XLRs straight out to a 1/4" jack, but while it's sharper, it lacks presence.


Since you can solder, why not a push-pull buffer stage driven by the XLR out? It will "clone" the XLR (i.e. a follower - no voltage gain) but will reduce the output impedance, so you get more drive capability for the low-impedance headphones. This would be the path of least processing - which usually results in best fidelity.
The internal supply has plenty of power reserves, so tap into the 12V...
 
Apr 12, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 20

nightfire

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Posts
559
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
Since you can solder, why not a push-pull buffer stage driven by the XLR out? It will "clone" the XLR (i.e. a follower - no voltage gain) but will reduce the output impedance, so you get more drive capability for the low-impedance headphones. This would be the path of least processing - which usually results in best fidelity.
The internal supply has plenty of power reserves, so tap into the 12V...



Hmmm... interesting. I suppose this would be connected to only one half of the balanced output?

Would this limit my options in the future should I move to a full on balanced amp? Would I have to desolder the buffer stage?

Also can you recommend one? I'm not new to electronics but I have little experience in DIY audio.
smily_headphones1.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top