those guys who walk around with an earbud in one ear
May 26, 2005 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
I just hate it when i see someone walking around with an earbud in one ear, while talking to someone else. I want to tell them to choose one or the other, put both in and listen to your music, or talk to your friend. I mean you're only getting one channel of the music, missing everything that is going on in the other.

I dont know why it bothers me so much. I guess I feel like it shows that they arent putting any thought into the music, they are just using it to fill empty spaces in conversation or an inability to just sit in quiet or just absorb what is around you. Dont get me wrong, I love music, but I think silence and lack of music is important too. When I do listen to music, I want it to sound sweet and pure and i want to soak it all in. And head-fi has made me totally obsessed over this purity. But im working on controlling it...

I just wanted to see if any of you feel the same way, or if im crazy
eek.gif

May 26, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 28
Are you sure they're not talking on cell phones?

May 26, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 28
I guess it is just a personal petpeeve of mine. There seems to be an increasing trend to keep ourselves entertained at all times. Companies are slowly filling our lives with products to use during every possible different situation that could be conceived as slightly boaring. I mean DVD players in the car? Just drive the fricking car! Or look out the window.

I hope i dont sound like an old man yelling "that rock music"

I think it is really good to spend time starring at walls
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
I guess it is just a personal petpeeve of mine. There seems to be an increasing trend to keep ourselves entertained at all times. Companies are slowly filling our lives with products to use during every possible different situation that could be conceived as slightly boaring. I mean DVD players in the car? Just drive the fricking car! Or look out the window.

I hope i dont sound like an old man yelling "that rock music"

You do
tongue.gif

Quote:

I think it is really good to spend time starring at walls
biggrin.gif

It is. Your brain needs time to process everything that goes on in the day. Staring outside the windows and just daydreaming is the best way to do that.

May 26, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silfer
You do
tongue.gif

It is. Your brain needs time to process everything that goes on in the day.

I wonder if thats actually true. Is it not possible for your brain to process as things happen?

May 26, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 28
Well, it is kind of a bother to take out both canalphones when you're just saying hello to somebody. I dont actually converse with somebody that way, but a <10 second greeting is perfectly enjoyable with 1 ear.

May 26, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 28
I'll wear one canalphone in my ear at times, usually because I need to pause my music and hear what a person is saying. Of course, I won't have music in one ear and conversation in the other, I just can't stand the possibility of the headaches that would ensue. Also, the reason why I don't simply take out both(ER6i's, 'cause I don't like buds, nuh-uh) is because for some mysterious reason I always have a harder time removing the right earpiece. The left one always comes out easy using my methods. I have to make sure the right one isn't suddenly sucked into my ear canal for it to pull out easy though.

biggrin.gif
Abe

May 26, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
I wonder if thats actually true. Is it not possible for your brain to process as things happen?

I can't say for sure as I saw it on TV and I didn't do the study they talked about. The program was mainly about kids that are too busy these days. So maybe it's not the case with adults. What was said was that in order for kids to stay mentally healthy that they need time to process the day by staring out the window, just play without being entertained etc. so they could have time to take all the new things in without getting stressed or worse.
I just guessed that a simular thing is true with adults seeing how many people who are busy all the time suffer from stress these days.

May 26, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 28
I do it quite often at work. Granted it sucks, but still WAAAY better than listening to some of my co-workers chatter, or someone elses radio.

When I can, I stick the 2nd bud in, and just "dissapear" hahaha, but there is always some fruit who strolls by and engages in a conversation with you about mundane nothing, as SOON as you stick the 2nd bud in lol.

officespace7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back