Those chinese tube amps on ebay?
Jul 6, 2011 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

DerangedGoose

Head-Fier
I dont really have the space/desire to pick up an older receiver, could I put that money towards purchasing a relatively inexpensive amp to use with my computer? My K240s seem to need more power.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 43
Quote:
I dont really have the space/desire to pick up an older receiver, could I put that money towards purchasing a relatively inexpensive amp to use with my computer? My K240s seem to need more power.

Do you mean the Bravo/Muse/Indeed/whatever clones with a single tube and the clear acrylic tops and bottoms?

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 43
Yes. It seems there are several versions:

this is the 3 band EQ model:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bravo-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-V3-EQ-Equalizer-valve-US-/250850524153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a67db3bf9#ht_4237wt_1176

this is a v2:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Valve-Class-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-pre-Bravo-V2-e-/250850438247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a67d9ec67

or one with a 6n11:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6N11-Class-Headphone-amplifier-YJ-/200614090695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb58817c7

or a solid state muse amp:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MUSE-AT-HA20-Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier-Amp-Sliver-/120612153564?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c150b68dc#ht_2980wt_977

which one is better? Are solid states cleaner in sound or more powerful? What should I be looking for? Is the 3 band EQ worth it or a total gimmick, and I should EQ my sound from the computer?

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 43
I have one of the Indeed G2s.

Its fun, its pretty clean, its pretty strong, but its also colored as hell.  Its nice if you're looking for something "pleasant" sounding, need some cheap power with a small footprint, just like the look, or want to try out something with tubes.

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 43
Mine has a switch to use both 6922 and 12AU7 tubes.  The FR seems ok since transistors do the output, though I've never really attempted to test it properly.  Its just that there a lot of harmonics from the tube.  Whether you like it or not it will really come down to preferences.  I'd probably like it better if I listened to more classical, acoustic, or sparsely back vocals I might like it more but I mostly listen to metal and electronica and it doesn't work too well with that

If you just want more bass then its best to just use EQ.  Only an amp with a tone control will help much with that but a good software EQ is much more adjustable than any affordable hardware EQ.  If it distorts or something when you try to EQ than an amp might help.  What are you powering the AKGs with now?

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 43
Just line out from the laptop/ipod. When I mess with some of the bass frequencies, the sound hollows out, as if either the headphones cant take the boost or the soundcard cant provide it (but thru speakers or my  K518, the boost shows up)

Those tube amps with 6922 were advertised as bass boosting, versus the 12au7 which is listed as midrange. I listen to a lot of EDM and heavier genres, so I want to avoid sibilance or harshness. Bass is good

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 43
I don't know if those other ones have EQ curves or some other differences from mine.  Its possibly your current sources don't have the power to give your 240s any more bass.  Which version are they?

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 43
They might be easier but they still don't look easy to me.  I don't own a pair, but the specs are listed at a pretty low efficiency of 91dB/mW

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 43
If its distorting, or not changing the sound at all when you try to EQ then an amp might help.

If you want to be sure before spending any money then you should try and borrow something that has more power like a dedicated head amp or a receiver and try it out with a good quality EQ (i.e. not the ipod's on what's built into itunes).  I don't know how feasible that is for you though.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 43
It could be.  Some are better than others and its hard to really know what your getting in advance.  Even on of the more "colored" ones will probably be more neutral though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back