Those 80Gb drives... where?!
Feb 28, 2006 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Geoff Rymer

500+ Head-Fier
Well my 4G black and white 40GB is showing the first signs of a dying HD- yesterday it did the whole skipping songs, not mounting, then folder icon business, and the HDD scan in diagnostic mode finished after 10 seconds or so. As a last resort I opened it up intending to pull the battery for a true hard reset, but as soon as I took the back off it started working again. Over a day later and it has been perfect ever since, but I'd put money on it conking out permanently very soon.

So, although I'm keeping half an eye on whatever announcement Apple has up it's sleeve today, I am very tempted to bung in a new drive and get it Redwine modded. Thing is, Toshiba make those 80GB drives now don't they? Where can I get one? All the usual vendors only seem to stock the 60GB drives, and frankly that's not enough storage, especially considering how much the drives are anyway. Has anyone actually managed to procure one of these 80GB drives?

The idea of having a 80Gb black and white pod is sufficiently against the grain to appeal to me...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 10
Anybody?
confused.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 10
Yeah (sorry), I do mean the 1.8" drives.

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks dude, I knew they were out but I never managed to find out where to buy em! We shall see (still need to get a price) but it's a pretty cool idea...

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 10
the model name is Toshiba MK8007GAH. i couldnt find a place that sell it so good luck searching. i did find the 60gb version, MK6006GAH, for a little over $170. i'm thinking of replacing my gmini400 hd to 40gb and 2200mah battery in the future when i get the budget.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 10
This is true. I'm gonna ring Toshiba and find out what availability is like. The fact that it is listed on the website gives me hope though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back