Thorens Td-160
Feb 28, 2007 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Hemos

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone thinks that $250 for a Thorens TD160 MKII is a good price? I am looking to get into vintage vinyl and want to know if I'm overpaying for it.

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone thinks that $250 for a Thorens TD160 MKII is a good price? I am looking to get into vintage vinyl and want to know if I'm overpaying for it.

If it's in good condition that's not a bad price at all. Is it the original Thorens arm on it? see these guys site for stuff you should check out http://www.vinylnirvana.com/ar_forsale_147r.shtml

These are really classic turntables with a lot of upgrade potential, much better than what you can get today for a reasonable amount of money in most repects.

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 15
I'd say its way too much, but if that's what they're going for now, it's not a bad table. I think a slightly used low end Rega might be a better deal.

Mar 1, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

As memepool already mentioned, it'll depend on the condition - if very good, the price would still seem fair to me. Does it come with the stock arm (should be the TP16III, iirc)? And how about the cartridge?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 15
I've bought last week Thorens 160 B+SME 3009 S2 improved+denon DL-110 everything great condition - minor scratches on the plastic cover - price:

255 Euros

I think 250 USD for stock 160 esp. in the States is not a stunning deal - here in Europe it is fair price. CHeck for cartridge and arm. Stock arm is quite Ok actually but personally I think SME + Denon for Classical music is hard to beat even by new tables.
Nothing like REGA can come close even with RB250/300 arm. This is my personal opinion obviously.
Be sure to give a good base for this suspended table - something like stone or similar.

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aethelred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think 250 USD for stock 160 esp. in the States is not a stunning deal - here in Europe it is fair price.

They are more common and therefore less expensive in Europe I think. A stock Thorens 150/160 in the UK can go for anything from 50-150 UKP (100-300USD) on average depending on the version and condition. The 3009 II and Series III go for 150UKP+ on their own as well remember so I think for 250 Euro all in you got a reasonably good deal but 250 in the US, so long as it's in very good condition would be ok.

Remember a 2nd hand Rega P3 goes for 500USD over there!

I think you are right about the SME3009/TD160 being a great combo for classical music but I don't think it's so good for many other types of music.
I had a TD160BC and tried an SME 3009 II and Series III but finally settled on a Linn LVX as the best all round performer. Then I switched to a TD125 which is a far superior deck and ended up with an Origin Live OL1 (modded Rega RB250) which again is more versatile although it lacks the warmth of the older SME's.

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 15
I had a TD160 Super BC drive + Grace 707 arm + Yamaha MC505 cart for a couple of years (later on sold to a good friend, who's still got it...) - really nice sounding combo, but a bit too wobbly to use for my taste, especially as the lift on the Grace (got that one used for cheap...) was broken...

Hemos: Just btw, be aware that adjusting the sub-chassis on the TD160 is not the easiest task...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Well I have around $275 to spend. I want to listen to my old Pink Floyd vinyls. What do you guys suggest me?

I'd definitely bag that Thorens you can't really do better new for less than 1000USD and you can upgrade it at your leisure. The bearing on those TD160's is much higher quality than anything you will find on the Rega / Pro-ject / MF / Goldring decks in this pricerange.

see here http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/olde...renstd150.html

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 15
As I recall from a well worn out set of memories the TD160 was frequently mentioned against the Linn LP12 at and after the time the TD160 came out. I think it also played at 78RPM, but don't quote me on that. I did have the use of one when I worked as a QC engineer at Srvicepoint Lasky's (remember them?). If it wasn't for my lousy salary and high UK mortgage rate at the time I would have bought one. The Linn might have been imprinted in the mind of most reviewers, but from a personal view the TD160 was far more convenient to use, could pick out minuscule musical details other turntables just couldn't resolve against the backdrop of record surface noise, and could be modded with better mat and arm to take on just about anything in its haydays. For U$250 I would buy even the bare turntable. If you are getting a free arm with it, then the better. Where did you see it on sale again
evil_smiley.gif
?

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I recall from a well worn out set of memories the TD160 was frequently mentioned against the Linn LP12 at and after the time the TD160 came out. I think it also played at 78RPM, but don't quote me on that. I did have the use of one when I worked as a QC engineer at Srvicepoint Lasky's (remember them?). If it wasn't for my lousy salary and high UK mortgage rate at the time I would have bought one. The Linn might have been imprinted in the mind of most reviewers, but from a personal view the TD160 was far more convenient to use, could pick out minuscule musical details other turntables just couldn't resolve against the backdrop of record surface noise, and could be modded with better mat and arm to take on just about anything in its haydays. For U$250 I would buy even the bare turntable. If you are getting a free arm with it, then the better. Where did you see it on sale again
evil_smiley.gif
?

I remember Lasky's
wink.gif
But you may be thinking of the Thorens TD126 as that played 78's but it also had a lot of semi automatic features on some varients which weren't so great. All the Thorens decks share a great deal of design heritage with Linn and as the above review suggests a lot of the tweaks which Linn have added over the years can be easily applied to the them too. http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-EntryLevel.html towards the bottom of this page there is quite a good breakdown of many of the various 'classic' Thorens.

The TD150/160 were in production in one form or another for 30 years so their are many enthusiasts all over the world ( http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_dept_.htm ) and so they are very well supported with upgrades as well. There are loads of small outfits in Germany and in the UK supplying pre-cut new armboards for SME/Linn/Rega mounts and all manner of tweaks. You can find these on ebay easily enough.

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Finally got a TD-165 for $140

Sounds fair to me, if the condition is good. Is it the original version with TP11 arm and TP60 headshell?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Finally got a TD-165 for $140

Max

You got a deal. I sold my TD-166 for around $350 last year on Audiogon. It did have a new Goldring cartridge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back