THIS NOOB GOT A HEAD-FI SHOCK (+ amp question)
Nov 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

popcorn

New Head-Fier
Shock I say....

After years of using generic earphones I decided to ask a few questions/read a few reviews and bought myself a pair of JVC xtreme xplosives -FX101.

I first tried them on my iPhone the only album I had on their was Selena Gomez (blush) the track was 'who says'.

The volume was quite high....I had stuck blue-tack under the silicone tips for perfect fit (a tip I got from Head-fi).

Pressed play:

THUMP! Went the base......eh??????? I had to touch my head because I didn't realize a tiny pair of earphones could produce such a base vibration sound....I was totally blown away. And i still am.

I could hear the cellos perfectly, the raindrop synths sparkling here there, and what a voice, I noticed so many nuances, UNBELIEVABLE? THE TREBLES, MIDS & OOOOOOOH WHAT A BASE.

Never has audio quality taken such a leap for such a small price.

I read MANY reviews here, and most people use an amp. My first thought was, 'well if I amp these babies up....they'll blow my freeeeking ears off'

However having read soooooo many reviews about amps reducing background hiss, and improving sound-stage...I didn't want to dismiss the idea.

I thought I might part with a few £s 1) because the audio from the pinout on the iPhone is meant to be wayyyyy better quality. 2) because the background hiss is something I've always put up with...I might be in for another wonderful experience; to hear music coming from a 'black' ground (???). & 3) because I did a little surfing and found that £25 could buy me a cable and amp that wouldn't take up to much pocket estate. (Fiio E06 and a line out dock cable L9 - Amazon.co.uk)

I believe I already got THE best headphones at the price (thanks to head-fi).

My Question: Is this (Fiio E6 & L9) also the best set up for this price?

Thank you ALL headfiers....I have learned so much here....Thank you, Thank you  and Thank you again!

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 5
*Looks at join date, finds out it's a year and a half ago. Proceeds to wonder if troll attempt, or truly serious*

To answer your question, the Fiio E6 will do nothing for the sound, especially from your iPhone. It's meant to boost volumes on those weak cell phones/pmps for those who have harder to drive earphones. The iDevices are pretty darn good players...I found this out the hard way.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 5
I notice a background hiss on my iPhone, am I stuck with that because of the device/track or are their inexpensive attachments that can neutralize it? I remember yesteryear Dolby used to have 'noise reduction' so something inexpensive along these lines.

Thank you for your help.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I notice a background hiss on my iPhone, am I stuck with that because of the device/track or are their inexpensive attachments that can neutralize it? I remember yesteryear Dolby used to have 'noise reduction' so something inexpensive along these lines.

Thank you for your help.

It totally depends on the bitrate of the music - higher bitrate may have less hiss, especially if you're using more revealing equipment. I use an iPod and to me even the line out output is not hiss free (either line out issue or the issue with the iPod DAC itself). So I think at this price range all you can do is to minimize the hiss (try good and yet forgiving earphones), because nothing short of getting one of those expensive iDevice DACs isn't going to kill the hiss completely.

So in short: try high bitrate music first 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back