THIS is sexy
Nov 14, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are minidisc players. And the Sharp Auvi md player is hands down the best sounding portable audio player to date!

Easily beats an modified ipod with amp or the kenwoods

have you got a modified ipod with amp?? playing lossless. as good as minidisc is (and it is very good) i doubt that it would 'easily' beat IMOD/DIYMOD->vcap->pico (insert you amp of choice here)

now sure they aren't really the same thing and the minidisc is FAR smaller, cheaper and more portable; but thats a pretty random statement. try driving high imp cans with minidisc and try carrying your whole collection around with you on minidisc

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #32 of 42
I have very fond memories of the sharp digital Auvi amps, just amazing. No hiss like the kenwood digital amps and the units were a thing of beauty. I remember my unit had dolby digital for headphones and it was one of the few audio enhancements I liked. I'm just sad sharp doesn't make daps with the Auvi amps and more juice, like say 40 mw a channel. That, as they say would be a keeper. All that said. I really don't miss the low storage and the new touch sounds amazing with good cans and source files. We really are spoiled today with better battery life and storage capacity.

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #34 of 42
Wow - mini-discs! That takes me back a bit... This thread motivated me to pull out my Sony HD. Plugged it into my Hornet w/ my UEs. First thought: big soundstage, clean and sharp. A/B-ed with my X5, and it then sounded overly bright - though still with a better soundstage. Might have to do some more listening!

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #35 of 42
I was using my Sony MD with the HD Digital Amp up until a couple years ago. It was a wonderful player, synergized very well with my AT CM7 phones. It sounded just as well or even better than the current lineup of Sony DAPs. MDs had their place in the portable digital audio player world back then. It was a perfect alternative to carrying a bulky CD player.

I remember there was some rivalry between the Sharp Auvi amps and the Sony HD Digital amps during the good ole days...

As for everyone saying that it can't beat a modern DAP playing lossless with a LOD and an amp, they maybe right. But the MD would come very close in quality, and you would be able put it in your pocket too.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #36 of 42
That one brushed alloy Sony on the minidisc.org page is absolutely beautiful. I think it is the MZ-EH1.

I used to love my MD player/recorder back in the late 1990s.
Are there any etailers that still sell them?
Also are there any benefits to MD over iPods and the like?

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also are there any benefits to MD over iPods and the like?

The amp section and sound quality might generally be quite a bit better in MD players than in average MP3 players. At least all the MD players I heard (some Sony, Sharp, Kenwood) sounded better or at least were able to drive more demanding phones better.

Discs are very limited and a hassle, of course... depends on one's personal preference if you take sound quality over the convenience of an MP3 player.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #38 of 42
I see these alot in pawn shops here in colorado,Us

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #42 of 42
funny. ive owned/used all of these except the rh1. i do prefer the sharp to the sony but the sony is quite nice. the kenwood.... blah really except a decent equaliser for such a small machine without dedicated eq

edit: md portables sound good. to an extent. i have heard of had the best of the md portables produced in the late 90's till now.

i was very impressed coming from them to an ipod. so... as for sq: again, up to your personal tastes.

the best sounding md portables were out in 92-95. they have never been the same since then: all battery life and size versus quality. no contest between those years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back