This is creepy (56k warning)
Mar 30, 2006 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Lisa

Headphoneus Supremus
I was browsing Amazon uk for Solomon Burke and I got these sponsered links when I was at the page where his latest CD was on:

mesolomonburke3xa.jpg

As most of you know by now after my previous thread I've got CFIDS, also know as ME.
But how do these sponsered links know that? I've not been browsing on Amazon on ME as far as I can recall. I've cleared my IE cash a few days ago and have not visited any ME sites since?
My firewall and viruscanner are up to date, in fact I have just finished a virus scan and adaware scan just before I went to browse amazon.

How do they know? I find this kind of freaky.
eek.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 24
that`s really scary, maybe Solomon Burke does have something to do with ME.

Like supporting research for a cure or something like that...
confused.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
I'm guessing that they got the "ME" and "UP" from "Don't Give Up On Me"? Otherwise, it would be kinda freaky...

Let's hope that's it.

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 24
did you clean out your cookies? also might just be that you bought a book or something on the subject a while ago from Amazon, Amazon's big computars remembered it, and it's just now getting around to pitching ads at you.

or it could be a really strange coincidence, I've been seeing those for homosexual stuff (books, websites) on amazon, in searches for stuff like "surf rock" and "Pushing Ice alastair reynolds".
and I'm not gay.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsabo
did you clean out your cookies?

no, not the cookies. could that be it? Quote:

also might just be that you bought a book or something on the subject a while ago from Amazon, Amazon's big computars remembered it, and it's just now getting around to pitching ads at you.

As far as I remeber I've never even browsed on amazon on this subject let alone bought a book about it.

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 24
No you're not.
smily_headphones1.gif

A few years ago I discovered soul music, the old stuff from the 70s. You know, Otis Redding, Al Green, Ann Peebles etc. So I started getting some CDs with old soul. Mainly Best of stuff so far. I really like the old soul sound but still got the feeling I hardly know anything about it.
Anyway a few days ago there was this program on tv I often watch and they had an item on how the old soul sound was back again and that it started with Solomon Burke's Don't Give Up On Me. That he brought back the old soul sound with that particular CD. So I started browsing Amazon.
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 24
lisa.

This is how 3rd party cookies work. There lots of sketchy companies like doubleclick that bind these cookies to you based on domain information... They log what sort of "context" you are in, and then produce dynamic banners or ads to spam you with stuff which may or may no be relevant to you. This is basiclly a service which is sold to alot of "dynamic content providers" that certain sites are paid to be associated with.

Welcome to the days of no privacy and invasive marketing. You can of course shut off cookies, but that would give you a much larger problem (almost everything requires them).

Don't worry, you don't have a virus.

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 24
Cookies, data miners, temp internet files (even though you've cleared them unless you check the "delete offline content" box they remain on your computer) could be a number of things Lisa.

Run adaware (lavasoft.com) clear out your cookies manually do a free panda activescan

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 24
Yes, Adaware does a very good job with it. It picks up pretty much anything that could be malicious (but that does not mean that it is the alpha-omega of spyware catchers).

BTW Lisa, how are you feeling as of late? Have all the issues in the "Pray for me" thread been worked out? As always, hoping for the best here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back