This ever happen to you? My headphones smell like weed :/.
Jun 18, 2014 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

craftyhack

100+ Head-Fier
I just received a set of headphones I purchased used on eBay for a decent price(HE500's along with an EF-5, for some reason I thought the EF-5 would be bigger, I have no idea why but I was really surprised at how small the kit is).  Anyway, when I opened the HE500's storage box, it smelled like someone just took a hit and blew it in my face!  I only know the smell cos of smelling at a concert once.  Anyway, it kinda makes sense that this may be a common thing, as for those folks live in free states and can smoke pot, it is just as good a pairing as relaxing to listen to some music with a scotch or whatever.  Only issue is that I am NOT in one of those states, and I would like to be able to bring them to work, open phones are OK when sitting outside to work.  I will air them out and try a few things and Google, but am curious if this has happened to anyone else.  In the future I probably will ask the seller if they smoke pot a lot while listening so I know what I am getting into and don't open a package reeking of pot in front of my 11 and 4 yr olds and having and ending up in a big discussion about why pot is legal in some states and not in others and why that makes sense (my daughter knew the smell, will have to figure that one out and how I want to approach it, being a parent rules), where the short answer was I haven't a clue :D.  

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 7
I've heard that freezing things can remove smells (guess it works for shoes).
So take the ear pads off the headphone, seal the pads in a zip lock plastic bag and leave it in the freezer over night.
By chance was the sellers last name Chong?

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 7
So take the ear pads off the headphone, seal the pads in a zip lock plastic bag and leave it in the freezer over night.
By chance was the sellers last name Chong?

Garcia actually, first initial J., hmmm, that rings a bell.  It did come from California though.  Thanks for the advice, that one I hadn't heard!

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 7
I've haven't received a box that smelled like ganja, but I have bought a few things that smelled like cigarettes. It does eventually dissipate - but it takes a looooong time. It is definitely one of the downsides of buying used items over the 'net.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 7

Or just replace them. Then again, I might have the sort of meats in my freezer that really have strong odors - like garlic sausages and exposed steaks on a rack (with a plate under them) far away from the freezer walls so they don't get frozen solid, but lose enough excess moisture over a few days in there to help the wet-aged meat sear properly.

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 7
I once bought something that smelled of what I assume was some kind of exotic food that I was unable to identify, it was new from the factory as well. :confused_face: Personally I would return the headphones if possible, but I'm really not a fan of that smell.

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 7
There is a possibility that it is not that substance since weed smell tends to dissipate relatively quick. If it really is, it should naturally go away fast. In my opinion, it is inconsiderate to sell a headphone with any kind of smell and I would have complained to the seller unless you got a really good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back