Thinking of trading HD600's for some SR225 or 325's
Mar 3, 2004 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

superjohnny

500+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm using some HD600's with my PC... Revo -> Canare audio interconnect -> CMOY -> HD600's and they sound fine, but give me some trouble in my jaw after 2-3+ hours of wearing them. I listen to a mix of rock, classical & trance/trip-hop... whatever.

I love my SR60's and have been considering trading my HD600's for some SR225 or SR325's.

Any thoughts on this? I've heard the 325's are rather bright and the 225's are rather bassy... what do you think? Would this be a wize decision or a downgrade?

Would I notice a difference using my iPod/CMOY as a source and auditioning them? Admittedly I don't have the audiophile's refined ear.

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 16
definitely an upgrade as far as I am concerned. Comfort wise maybe you are better off with a hurting jaw because the flat pads can give you a hurting ear
tongue.gif

honestly be prepared for VERY different sonic presentation...the Grado line-up is more in your face and enjoyable for a short duration...the Senns are better over a long listening session...

You can always do a trade for a 2 week period and decide where your taste lies...you just need to find someone willing to go through the swap with you
smily_headphones1.gif

Best of luck...

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 16
I went the other direction, so the downgrade issue is debatable for me when compared to the HD600. But I used an iPod/Mint with the SR225, after owning SR80s previously, and I'd say you should be able to tell a big difference between the two Grados. Arguably the Senns may be underpowered with your setup so that may be another plus for the SR225. Testing the two side by side (w/CDP and Mint), I preferred the SR225 quite a bit over the SR325.

Certainly with a bent band, the Grados should exert as little pressure as you want.

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 16
Well... I have both and can say that the 600s (now 650s) would not be traded for 225s or 325s. However... based on what you have said... I think you will be tapping your foot to the up front joy 225s can bring! Just my 2 cents...

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 16
The sr-325 is bright and agressive, but addictively so. Go for the sr-225 unless the 325's silver robot look entices you. (I liked it). The soundstage ain't so bad either (for a grado, that is).

Mar 3, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 16
My CMOY has a gain of 11 so I don't think they're underpowered, but I'm sure a better amp would help and that's why I'm building something similar to Grado's RA1.

Grr, I wish I could borrow some 225's for a week. I'll go talk the guys at Fred's sound of music (any Portlanders out there?) and audition the 225's with the CMOY & RA1.

The 600's & 225's are just such different cans... I really need both
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 16
Put an ad in the F/S forum. That's how I swapped my Grados with another Head-Fiers HD580 for a week.

Mar 3, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by superjohnny
The 600's & 225's are just such different cans... I really need both
biggrin.gif

And there you start on the path to becoming Joe Longwood
wink.gif

I do agree that they are very different phones. I traded my SR225 a short while ago for my current HD600s. Do you like the basic sound of the HD600, or is it mainly that you have a comfort issue with them? My set was quite well broken in long before I got them so they are quite comfortable to me, but I can imagine that with more clamping force they would lose that comfort factor. Maybe try putting some books in between the ear cups to stretch the headband out for a few days and then try them to check if that has helped any. With a bent headband and bowl pads I had no comfort issues with my SR225s, they were quite light and comfortable.

Mar 3, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 16
They sound great, that's why this is tough. I've tried to loosen them up, but I guess I just have a big noggin'.

I know myself too well. If I buy the 225's outright I'll sit down and look at both cans and think... I could sell them both and get some RS1's. I really don't need two pair of cans though.

Mar 3, 2004 at 8:32 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Vedder323
PS... The Bass on the 225s are NOT overwhelming.

I beg to differ. Well, at least with Flats, the bass was much too present for me. Bass lines were jumping out at me from the moment I put them on. I'm sure many others will like this, but I'm not a bass maniac by any means and am prone to getting headphone fatigue easily...

Just so you know, I had the same jaw/comfort problem with my old HD580's I owned. The HD580 Jubilee's I have now are extremely worn-in and they fit like a dream. Really no comfort issues whatsoever, and I always used to complain about the HD580's comfort
smily_headphones1.gif
So I'd recommend stretching them out a lot with books or something.

So um...yeah, go for RS-1's dude. They smoke both in my opinion
biggrin.gif
Otherwise, I think the SR225 definitely has the edge, though it's nice to have both different sounds, and I can't really say which you'd prefer for sure.

You really don't need both though. I've found with two headphones for the same purpose (i.e. home listening here) one always gets neglected. That's why I can never hold on to two
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2004 at 11:47 AM Post #12 of 16
I'm using the SR-325s. No reason at present to upgrade or change these, neither do I plan to. Would I buy these cans again if given the choice, definitely.

Mar 3, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #13 of 16
superjohnny - how long have you had your HD600's? They really take a while to start getting comfortable, my pair clamped like a vice for weeks but eventually they'll fit like a dream. Try doing what other's have suggested and putting them over a couple of books to stretch them out abit.

On a side note, I'm also in the same position as you but I think I'll just save up abit longer so I can have both
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 16
take the 325's, why would you go lower when you can go higher?

the 225's are nice but after some major burn in the 325's kill them.

more highs, more bass (after major burn in)

yes i said it. i compared the 225's (new and a set with 2 months use) and us three people agree the 325's were better.

out of the box the 225's rock, but after awhile youll see the 325's shine

one complaint is you can here hiss, its the highs and youll get used of them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back