Thinking of buying The HD650 need a little help
Jul 29, 2012 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BulletProve

New Head-Fier
Hey

I am thinking of buying a headphone for games and movie
I want to spend around $450 for the headphones, and around 100 for the amp or the sound card

I have few question

Is the HD650 a good choice for my using, please tell me if there are better choices for my price range ?
Am I over-doing it ?

Is noise canceling in the HD650 good ?, I know its not meant to be for noise canceling but I am asking this as a general question

And should I buy an amp or a sound card ?
Please tell me what should I choose and link me to a good one of them
My motherboard btw is asus p8p67 pro so I think I will need one of those

ps this is my first professional headphone I buy, all i bought before was the $5 garbage

Thanks guys

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 11
grab a pro900 for say usd300...
and spend the rest on a dac.

hd650 is an open can...everything leaks inwards n outwards.
amping is tricky, and its a loveit or hateit kinda sound, so its best if u find one to listen to first.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Hey

I am thinking of buying a headphone for games and movie
I want to spend around $450 for the headphones, and around 100 for the amp or the sound card

I have few question

Is the HD650 a good choice for my using, please tell me if there are better choices for my price range ?
Am I over-doing it ?

Is noise canceling in the HD650 good ?, I know its not meant to be for noise canceling but I am asking this as a general question

And should I buy an amp or a sound card ?
Please tell me what should I choose and link me to a good one of them
My motherboard btw is asus p8p67 pro so I think I will need one of those

Thanks guys

Welcome to Head-Fi.  I own the HD650, and have used them here and there for games, but 98% of the time, I'm using them for music.  The noise canceling is almost 0 with the HD650s because they are "open" design headphones.  The only way you can isolate sound is by blasting the music loud enough to drown out anything around you, which obviously isn't a smart thing to do, nor ideal.  Yes, the HD650 do need to be used with a headphone amp for them to sound proper.  But if you need some degree of noise canceling, you'll want to look at a closed-back design.  

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Welcome to Head-Fi.  I own the HD650, and have used them here and there for games, but 98% of the time, I'm using them for music.  The noise canceling is almost 0 with the HD650s because they are "open" design headphones.  The only way you can isolate sound is by blasting the music loud enough to drown out anything around you, which obviously isn't a smart thing to do, nor ideal.  Yes, the HD650 do need to be used with a headphone amp for them to sound proper.  But if you need some degree of noise canceling, you'll want to look at a closed-back design.  

Hi mate thanks for the warm welcome !

I dont really care that much about the noise canceling, just a general question
I will use em for music for sure but mostly games and movies so what do think ?

Please choose me an amp that fits my using :) , I don't have that knowledge in headphones and stuff so I will really need your help at this point

Quote:
grab a pro900 for say usd300...
and spend the rest on a dac.

hd650 is an open can...everything leaks inwards n outwards.
amping is tricky, and its a loveit or hateit kinda sound, so its best if u find one to listen to first.

Hi

tbh I didnt like the pro900 look
It looks like a cheap headphone
And what do you mean by dac ?
Hmm well where I live there is no professional places for these stuff
When ask someone about professional headphone, he say beats !

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 11
If your looking into the HD-650, the sound is going to leak no doubt on this one. The HD-650 also needs somewhat a good amount of power to drive them, your motherboard I don't think will be able to drive these cans. This is where AMP/DAC comes in, in the price range you are giving for there isn't many that can drive the HD-650 to its "FULL POTENTIAL."

Currently, I am using the HD-600 with a sound card (XFI-Soundblaster). It could drive the cans pretty well, but I'm sure with a AMP/DAC combo the SQ would be much better.

Also, don't judge the headphones from their looks. The Pro900 is an amazing can for closed back gaming.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 11
I don't think OP realizes this but the headphone is open back meaning others will hear your music, movie, and you will hear them talk. It's far from passive or active noise cancelling.

I think for games and movies and sometimes music on the side, 500-600$ is a waste. Look for bang for buck 200$ headphones and save the rest for ssds or a gtx 670...

300% fps with 70% sound (just explosions and voices)

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
If your looking into the HD-650, the sound is going to leak no doubt on this one. The HD-650 also needs somewhat a good amount of power to drive them, your motherboard I don't think will be able to drive these cans. This is where AMP/DAC comes in, in the price range you are giving for there isn't many that can drive the HD-650 to its "FULL POTENTIAL."

Currently, I am using the HD-600 with a sound card (XFI-Soundblaster). It could drive the cans pretty well, but I'm sure with a AMP/DAC combo the SQ would be much better.

Also, don't judge the headphones from their looks. The Pro900 is an amazing can for closed back gaming.

Hmm I found this one

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion Sound Card SB1354

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Fatal1ty-Champion-SB1354/dp/B0060SXDRI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1343619267&sr=8-9&keywords=XFI-Soundblaster

Or

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB Audio System with THX SB1240

It looks nice and also "The dedicated high quality headphone amp supports studio quality headphones and headsets with up to 600 ohm impedance."
The HD650 is only 300 ohm so its wil drive it will

Could you please explane what does "AMP/DAC combo the SQ would be much better." 
DAC I think it mean Dedicated Audio Card right ?
And what do you mean by SQ ?

I am sorry guys but I am n00b at this

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I don't think OP realizes this but the headphone is open back meaning others will hear your music, movie, and you will hear them talk. It's far from passive or active noise cancelling.
I think for games and movies and sometimes music on the side, 500-600$ is a waste. Look for bang for buck 200$ headphones and save the rest for ssds or a gtx 670...
300% fps with 70% sound (just explosions and voices)

OK I know they are not meant to be for noise canceling its just a general question
I do watch a lot of Blu-Ray discs so I thought that this need a good headphone doesnt it ?

I already have a gtx 580 I think I will use it for one more year xD

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Hmm I found this one

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion Sound Card SB1354

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Fatal1ty-Champion-SB1354/dp/B0060SXDRI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1343619267&sr=8-9&keywords=XFI-Soundblaster

Or

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB Audio System with THX SB1240

It looks nice and also "The dedicated high quality headphone amp supports studio quality headphones and headsets with up to 600 ohm impedance."
The HD650 is only 300 ohm so its wil drive it will

Could you please explane what does "AMP/DAC combo the SQ would be much better." 
DAC I think it mean Dedicated Audio Card right ?
And what do you mean by SQ ?

I am sorry guys but I am n00b at this

An AMP/DAC combo is a/or multiple product that has a  "Digital to analog converter" (Which could be found in your motherboard, if I'm not wrong) and a Amplifier connected to each other. The reason why you should buy these are because the p8p67 (correct me if I'm wrong) has a cheap amp/dac inside it. SQ meaning sound quality. And also, sorry but I couldn't help decide which amp/dac suits you best. Since I'm quite new to these stuff also.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 11
IF you can't feed hd650 with a good source (amp/ac combo) you get a dull voice which won't satisfy you,

i am using both pro900 and hd 650 for music and watching movies, one word: pro900 is better for movies.
Its more exciting can to hear bass impacts and effects which will excite you also. Pro900 is more neutral
according to pro900 which is better for listening to music ok but for films, usually i pick pro900 and 
its soundstage is fine according to a closed can, maybe you can choose Denon D5000 which is also
superior to pro900 (for to compensate cheap look). But when you listen to hd 650 without a good source
sounds may sound terrific with an unpleasing result, pro 900 or some other cans are not sensitive to
driving, i think hd 650 or cans like these must be the choices in the future :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back