thinking (litely) about getting into vinyl, need help
Jun 11, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #16 of 29
Billy,

Sorry couldn't stick around at Ray's for you and Ryan, but I had to get back to the hospital to see my Dad.

I listened to Ray's HRX (what a piece of art!), my XR2, and his speakers, stunning! Diana Krall never sounded so real and intimate. I listened to Jacintha for the first time. She's definitely on the list for purchases. I also listened to a record where the artist played a stand up bass. The visceral impact of the bass was impressive, but the detail was more telling. I heard the bassist grunt as he was finishing up the piece. You heard him play the piece, but yet you felt how much he put into the piece because of the detail.

I also watched as Ray meticulously cleaned and made sure the Rega was in perfect working order. Before I left, we listened to the Rega and the XR2. Ray posed the question is the HRX necessarily worth 10Xs the Rega??? You will have fun with the Rega, though I do see a VPI Scout in you future.

This is going to be a fun (expensive!) ride.

As for me, I'm kinda doing things backasswards - I have some vinyl, the XR2, but I'm waiting for the Comet and Sumiko BPS. Hopefully, I'll pick up the TT from Sota next week and we'll be ready to go.

Regards - Rey

Jun 11, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
Billy,

Sorry couldn't stick around at Ray's for you and Ryan, but I had to get back to the hospital to see my Dad.

I listened to Ray's HRX (what a piece of art!), my XR2, and his speakers, stunning! Diana Krall never sounded so real and intimate. I listened to Jacintha for the first time. She's definitely on the list for purchases. I also listened to a record where the artist played a stand up bass. The visceral impact of the bass was impressive, but the detail was more telling. I heard the bassist grunt as he was finishing up the piece. You heard him play the piece, but yet you felt how much he put into the piece because of the detail.

I also watched as Ray meticulously cleaned and made sure the Rega was in perfect working order. Before I left, we listened to the Rega and the XR2. Ray posed the question is the HRX necessarily worth 10Xs the Rega??? You will have fun with the Rega, though I do see a VPI Scout in you future.

This is going to be a fun (expensive!) ride.

As for me, I'm kinda doing things backasswards - I have some vinyl, the XR2, but I'm waiting for the Comet and Sumiko BPS. Hopefully, I'll pick up the TT from Sota next week and we'll be ready to go.

Regards - Rey

hahahaha if we joined forces we can have a actual full vinyl rig!..lol

I ordered two duke ellington lps from Md, I am waiting on them now.hhehehe

I am sort of bumed that andrea bocelli isnt found on vinyl, but there will be a entire world of music to find and enjoy.

Jun 11, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict
You are going to have tough decisions to make, Cd's on G08 or vinyl through RSA XR-2. It's a tough call, don't forget to breath as you go back and forth trying to decide.

believe me I am going through this already...rolling stones for cd's or wait for vinyl hunts?

To bad I have more envolving thoughts on my head now..lol

Jun 11, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
believe me I am going through this already...rolling stones for cd's or wait for vinyl hunts?

Wait and have fun looking for it on vinyl. I just picked up a copy of sticky fingers in great condition, aside from the inner sleeve.

Jun 16, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #20 of 29
The Technics 1200 can be a very good TT. I have a Mark II with the full boat mods from http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm I also have a Rega Planar 3 w/ an SME tonearm in my bedroom system. You need to spend thousands to exceed the performance of a KAB modded 1200.
Check out the KAB web site, call and speak w/ the proprietor, Kevin Barrett, he's forgotten more about analog than most folks ever know and is one of the good guys in audio.
Vinyl is definitely more trouble than CDs. Its not for everyone. I like it.

Jun 17, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #21 of 29
Hey lcrim, would you consider doing a review of your modded Technics compared to your P3 w/ SME? I'd be very interested in it (especially if you swaped the cart off your P3/SME onto your Technics for some of the review to help rule that out). Also, when you say "full boat mods" do you mean you got the upgraded PSU, fuild dampener, modded Groovemaster, 78 speed capability, and the strobe disabler?

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #22 of 29
Mr. Radar:
Sorry that I took so long but I forgot about posting on this thread . While I'm not really a headphone guy I really like this site. There is an honest interest in sharing information about high quality, yet affordably priced equipment.
My KAB modded Technics 1200 MK II was actually Kevin Barrett's test mule that he was kind enough to sell me at a ridiculously cheap price. It has the tonearm fluid damper, the outboard power supply, the strobe disabler and the record clamp. The cartridge began as the Stanton/ KAB "Groovemaster" but its stylus was changed to a Pickering D4500S stylus. This is in a system with a modded Antique Sound Labs Mini Phono Pre Amplifier and an Audio Electronics Supply AE-3 preamp and a modded (by Vinnie Rossi) TEAC A-L700P digital amp driving Sonus Faber Concertino Homes. The cabling is nothing exotic, AQ CV4 speaker cable, Harmonic Technologies, Blue Jeans Cables interconnects, Volex power cables. Power treatment is with a Transcendent Sound Balanced Power Transformer (kit.) Room (acoustic) Treatment by Eighth Nerve. This system is very well damped, highly detailed and warm. The analog playback is best with small jazz ensembles and chamber music as there is a bit of constriction with very dynamic, complex orchestral passages. The fluid damping contributes to great tracking and lowered groove noise as well lowered surface noise. The sounstage is more deep than wide but detail retrieval is terrific. The Stones "Exile on Mainstreet" is a densely mixed record that the Technics always reveals some new facet that " I never heard that before."
The Rega is the older model Planar 3 which I also bought second hand. It had the SME Series III tonearm mounted and a low compliance cartridge (MC) that was wrong for this arm. The arm works best with a high compliance cart like the old Shure V15. Mr. Barrett was kind enoughto adjust this somewhat antique arm and we added back the anti-skating weight and pulley assembly but the fluid damping trough and reservoir had been discarded by the previous owner as setting such things up apparently annoyed him. I wish I could find these pieces and restore them but its been no go. When strobe tested this TT seems to be spot on with a new belt and it has the optional heavy acrylic platter. This setup is in all tube system based on a Decware Select (SET) and uses a (George) Wright Sound WPL11 Phono/Line Preamplifier. The cartridge is pretty much the twin of the one in the Technics. The Grovemaster body is an Integrated mount , you plug it in and twist a locking ring. The SME arm is a standard mount and I use a Pickering EP HiFi cartridge body w/Pickering D4500S stylus, this looks different than the Groovemaster but the coil, cantilever, pivot assembly etc. are virtually identical. You might get the idea that I like this particular MM cartridge. Its true, I think these pieces produce an excellent sound. If I had to compare them, remember they are in different (sized) rooms and very different ancillary gear. The Technics is like using a fine machine tool. You can reset things like vertical tracking angle with ease and quickly. The SME is like a fine antique that still works extremely well. The fact that it is missing the fluid damping probably tilts the field in favor of the Technics. There is a bit more groove noise w/ the Rega/SME and surface noise is a bit more noticeable as well. But it is now like an old friend that you forgive certain traits in because of affection. It has a familiarity and a known quality that gives me a baseline from which to make choices . The Technics is much smoother and ergonomic and pleasurable in a different way.
Sorry for the length but I get wound up when discussing analog.

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #23 of 29
Thanks for your impressions lcrim! It sounds like you got a sweet deal there, I'm envious. I have one last question: how do you think the Technics does pop/rock music compared to your P3? Based on what I've read about the Technics, pop/rock should be its cut of tea, but I haven't read too much about pop/rock on other TTs. Again, thanks.

Jun 19, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #24 of 29
I've never thought of the Technics as a strictly pop/rock TT. I think that it does jazz awfully well as that is the biggest part of my listening. The only valid criticism I can offer of the Technics is the tonearm wiring could be improved. Whether this is the cause of of compression on large orchestral crescendos or it is in the phono stage I can only speculate. As I am not a huge fan of orchestral music, it is not a big issue for me but somewhere down the line I am looking to improve the wiring.

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #25 of 29
"Cup of tea" was probably the wrong choice of words. I meant that from what I've read the Technics should do pop and rock better than most other genres. Thanks for your insight again.

Jun 22, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #26 of 29
Well two weeks back I think...

I went to record dug out store (located rite across the street where I host my headfi meets, also know as the touch of class..lol)

Mind you this was the first time I was ever in a record store..lol
first thing that hit me was the smell of old and stale paper, then of course the mass of records..
just all messy and stacked up on the floor and just all over.
I didnt know what to do, how and where do I start..lol???
I made a 10ft section in 2hours..lol and after I had a stack of records I decided to call it quits for the day.

then when I got home the two brand new duke ellingtons lps came in to, woot woot.

set up the rig and began listening..here are some quick impressions

the duke ellingtons 200gram brand new stuff was the same as what I get in my g08 really, just alittle more bass and presence.
the George Benson I picked up at the store was a dead on match to my g08 and the cd..

So I am thinking "What the hell?..I could of just stuck with the g08 and spent the money on speakers..lol)

thats until I put on a record I bought just for the cover it is Dean Martin's "Dream with Dean".
omg his voice!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew Dean had a voice but omg on vinyl it comes out sooooooo damm good.
after that moment I am head over heals on vinyl now..lol

I think I might take my first drive up to beverly records today,,,got some money and some time,...why not

Jun 22, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #27 of 29
[size=xx-large]THANK YOU JOHNJCB[/size]

I went to Beverly records this mourning and ....

I didnt even make it past the Frank sinatra section!..I ran out of cash and burned the credit card to..lol

I love that place!!!!!!!!!!!1
biggrin.gif
orphsmile.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #28 of 29
Billy,

Nice stash! Have you settled on a record cleaner yet? I'm still waiting for my Sota Comet, but the XR2 is fully burned in!

Beverly is definitely on my list to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back