Thinking about my first DIY : Millett Hybrid MiniMax. How hard is it for a first timer?
Jul 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LepakVT

100+ Head-Fier
Although I could simply buy a used MiniMax, I usually like to stick with new products. So I was thinking of picking up a Minimax kit from beezar.

I've never built a headphone amp from scratch before, but I'd like to say that I'm really adept at following instructions and working with my hands. I build desktop PCs for fun as well as using the toolbox in the garage for any and all projects around the house. I've done some minor soldering before, but nothing that would make me an expert.

I also think this would be a good, fun project to tackle after a day at work. I know I get a lot of satisfaction after building a PC and knowing I built it. For a first timer, how long would you say it should take to successfully complete? 

Thanks

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 6
i guess if your careful enough with mains power then it should be pretty straight forward.. It comes with a wallwart anyway

I never built a minimax so I dont know how long would it take but anything between 2-4hours seems long enough

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 6
I built the MiniMAX as my first DYI amp and I would say it is a wee bit of a challenge if it will be your 1st one.  I was very careful and still made a mistake with installing the MOSFET's in backwards.  That said TomB will go to the ends of earth to help you if you have problems.  The kits are excellent and a joy to build & listen to but be prepared to "pay your dues" with reading, a proper soldering station and time...it will take a good weekend to complete unless your related to Tom Edison. 

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 6
I also built the minimax as my first DIY project, and I also can say TomB was a huge help. My biggest tips would be take your time soldering and check your resistor values before you solder. But, yes it is very doable for a first time DIY'r, especially with how complete the kit is from beezar. Just be prepared to take your time(10 hours would be a good estimate), since you won't get everything right the first time.

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Start your reading here...  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/348235/new-millett-hybrid-minimax-what-happened-to-this-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back