Thinking about getting an iriver cd player
Jun 6, 2008 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

timb5881

1000+ Head-Fier
I know many of you have moved on to other smaller devices. I am thinking of getting a used iriver cd player because of all the good reviews I have read about them. Anyone have experience with them? Is there any model I should look for that is better than the other?

Tim

Jun 6, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 9
I am using an iMP 550 SlimX player for years now and I could not be more pleased. It has everything I wish, it's a very versatile player with lots of formats playback, remote control, optical out and it's slim
biggrin.gif

Never had any problems with this player. Highly recommended.

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 9
They have awful battery life, however. I get under 8 hours for my iMP-450 with new gumsticks, and once they get a year old or so you're going to be lucky to get 6. With redbook audio, it's going to be more like 6 new, 4 after a year. It's bad.

Very hissy amps, too, but they sound good out of the line-out and do look incredible.

The Sony players, I've found, are too compromised for your average Head-Fier's usage. I had a D-NE10 which was gorgeous, but had this stupid design of putting the basic control buttons on the bottom of the player. Then, if you wanted to use the remote but also an amp, you'd have to plug your amp into the remote since there was no separate line-out! Of course, having a big amp attached to the remote would nullify the advantage of having a remote in the first place.

Lots of bad designs out there, choose wisely. My absolute favorite was the D-777... most incredible headphone out I have ever heard (I haven't heard the more vintage players, though). It skipped if you even breathed on it though.

Jun 7, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 9
I had an iRiver iMP-550 and thought it would be perfect for me. But after taking the iMP-550 on a road trip I knew I had to get a HDD based mp3 player. (this was back before 10+GB flash players)

It was awful! Although one CD-R can hold hundreds of mp3s it was just a hassle, imo, to try and change CD-Rs. I guess my listening habits are really random cause I was constantly wanting to listen to a song that was on a different CD-R. I had my entire mp3 collection on about 7-8 CD-Rs.

Anyways I replaced the iMP-550 with an iRiver H120 and it has served me well. I say get a flash mp3 or hdd mp3 player.

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fl00r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using an iMP 550 SlimX player for years now and I could not be more pleased. It has everything I wish, it's a very versatile player with lots of formats playback, remote control, optical out and it's slim
biggrin.gif

Never had any problems with this player. Highly recommended.

x2

i think my player is almost 5 years old, still works fine

just got a beef with the battery life and the recharagable batts

sorry for hijacking a bit but,

The X : where did you get your new gumsticks from ? their site ?

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 9
I had the imp-350 a long time ago, liked the sound quality I dont think I had a problem with the battery but I didn't have it long enough I guess. Mine broke after about one and a half years so wasn't too impressed. Liked the UI and remote too.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 9
hey, if you're still looking for a nice cd player, i have a sony walkman D-NE320, which has a ton of features. mp3/atrac3plus support, song title/artist, anti-skip, parametric eq, and more! if you want, just give me your info, and i can sell it to you for a measly $35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back